#IMWAYR June 13, 2022

 Welcome readers! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next. 



This summer I'm once again joining Sue Jackson and others to participate in the 2022 Big Book Summer Challenge. Click on the link if you want to know more about this fun event. I have a list of sixteen books that I may or may not get to this summer. You can have a look at it here.

As I write this on Sunday, it is day thirteen, and I'm still dealing with Covid. The line on the test that confirms positive is fading, so I'm optimistic that it won't last forever. I am feeling better, but my respiratory tract system is out of control and small bits of work exhaust me. These days, while napping is my favourite pastime, I do sneak out into the garden to pull weeds for short intervals and do the odd bit of housework. Thankfully my partner is the main cook around here. 

I did manage to find the time and energy to make an apron for my daughter in law whose birthday was last week. I will send it off to her as soon as I can leave the house. 


Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS 

A special thanks and shoutout to Max @ Completely Full Bookshelf for introducing these first two book to me.

4 stars

Every Little Kindness
by Marta Bartolj (Illustrations) October 12, 2021

This wordless book gobsmacked me from the get go. The art work is brilliant. It's mostly sepia toned with significant bits in red. Following these bright splashes of colour is important because it provides clues for where an act of kindness has been and where it will go next. I like how acts of kindness are inspired not just by being on the receiving end, but also by watching kindness in others. 

Making new friends is challenging for most of us - even in the best of times. For Violet, it's even harder. She is infatuated with Mira, a popular girl in her class. As friendly as Mira is with her, Violet can't get over her own anxiety and shyness to invite Mira to have adventures with her. Even when she crafts a special valentine for Mira, it's not certain that Mira will ever get it.
I love the sweetness in this book. It's a perfect mirror for queer children and any of us experiencing our first crush.

Thanks to Beth Shaum @ A Foodie Bibliophile for the introduction to this one.

Gibberish is the perfect picture book to read at the beginning of a new school year: especially if you have new language speakers in your class. As someone who once taught English as a Second Language, I highly recommend it for all teachers. If I was still working, I would read it to the staff at our first group meeting.
Dat, a young boy, heads off to school in a place where he doesn't know the language. Everything sounds like gibberish to him. On top of that, People can't seem to get his name straight. It's all overwhelming for the young boy
. Then a young girl takes him in hand. She invites him to play with her and, as she befriends him, ends up helping him learn this new language.
The imagery in this book is absolutely brilliant. Vo reveals Dat's experience by portraying the speakers of gibberish as black and white cartoonish characters, while Dat himself is shown more realistically in colour. While his emotions are shown clearly, the reader has to work a bit harder to unpack those of the rest of his cartoonish classmates. As Dat's comprehension of this new language increases, we see glorious colour and realism emerge all over the pages.
Young Vo shows Dat's world transform across the span of one day. It is really my only quibble with this book. I know it's only a metaphorical day, but I worry that children might think that learning a new language is easier than it really is.


This is a lovely story about a girl (Jyoti) and her grandmother (Sita Pati). They live in different countries and speak different languages, but the love between them overcomes those barriers. At first Jyoti and her family visit with Sita Pati in India. Then Sita Pati visits Jyoti in United States.
The title of the book comes from Tamil words of parting the author's grandmother taught her to say, instead of goodbye. Enjoy this book trailer. 

Each night before I go to sleep I set the timer and listen to an audiobook. Focusing on the book while I nod off keeps my brain from getting caught up in worrying about the things that otherwise keep me awake.
The book has to be one I have already read, and one without any terrifying bits in it. I've discovered that many of Pratchett's Discworld novels are perfect. Some nonfiction works too.
In The Wee Free Men, Tiffany Aching manages to rescue Wentworth, her little bother, and Roland, the Baron’s son, from the Queen of the Elves. It is a gripping adventure wherein a talking toad, the Nac Mac Feegles, and a frying pan play important roles in the rescue. The remarkable thing about Wee Free Men is that I have now read or listened to it more times than I can remember, and with each read, even when I'm half asleep, I find more to marvel at.   

ADULT NOVELS 


Kate Quinn pretty much had me from the first paragraph of this book. I was fascinated by her fictionalized portrayal of the life of Mila Pavlichenko. Pavlichenko was a Russian Sniper during WW2. After recording at least 311 official kills, she was part of a congregation of Russian students who were sent to the United States to try and encourage that country to engage in a second front against the Germans. Once there she was taken under the wing of Eleanor Roosevelt.
I got so caught up in her story I forgot about what is now happening in the Ukraine. Upon reflection I can't help but acknowledge that how we see stories of war and the participants, really depends upon whose side we are on.

ADULT NON FICTION

5 stars

Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures
by Merlin Sheldrake May 12, 2020

Merlin Sheldrake is frigging brilliant.
Not only is this book full of fascinating information about fungi, it is a delightfully entertaining read that's easy to digest. (pun intended) Listening to it read by the author is an absolute treat. He fills the narrative with nuances of emotion, especially wry humour and excitement.
This book is mind bending in multiple ways. (again, pun intended) The scope of what he takes on in this book is almost overwhelming. Even though I knew a bit about systems theory and fungal networks, my head nearly exploded trying to rid myself of old notions of how the world works and fit a new world view into it.

If you are only going to read one nonfiction title this year, make sure it's this one.

CURRENTLY

An Elegant Defense: The Extraordinary New Science of the Immune System: A Tale in Four Lives by Matt Richtel

Satellite Love
 by Genki Ferguson  πŸ

Rez Rules by Chief Clarence Louie πŸ

UP NEXT 

Worser by Jennifer Ziegler

The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune

READING GOALS

#MustReadFiction 12/24 

#MustReadNonFiction 9/18 one in progress

Canadian Authors 31/100 two in progress

Canada Reads shortlist 5/5 

Indigenous Authors 11/25 one in progress

2022 Big Book Summer Challenge 1  one in progress

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 135 /250

30 comments:

  1. Glad you are starting to feel better, but hope you completely shake it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do miss picture books since I stopped teaching. You’ve presented some great ones! I’ll have to begin reading those again!
    Once, while recovering from illness, my wise sister told me, “You only get one chance to heal, so do it right.” That advice has really helped me to give my body time – though of course it’s a challenge – right? 😊
    What a cheerful apron! Your daughter-in-law will surely love it!
    Yes! I agree! Staff needs to hear – and read – Gibberish! How that would have helped me as a bilingual teacher!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love picture books. It's like bringing home an album of artwork. They take one issue and deal with it really well. I only wish more adults would read more picture books!

      Delete
  3. I have never read a Kate Quinn book. I'm not sure why since I've heard many great things about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is only so much time to read! I read many more adult titles now that I am retired than I read while I was still teaching.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed Gibberish. As far as your quibble with it, I don't remember that it specified it was over a single day. The timeline felt vague to me, which led me to believe it was over the course of time rather than of a single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's kind of vague and do think it's more metaphorical. I understood that it was more than one day, but the arc of the book goes from one day of leaving to eventually returning home.

      Delete
  5. I hope you feel better soon! Good luck with the big books. Big books tend to sit on my shelf forever because I'm too intimidated to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it depends on the kind of book. I do love this challenge because it gets me focusing on those overwhelming tombs that can otherwise sit and gather dust.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that your Covid is lasting so long and giving you so many problems. I hope you feel better soon. Come see my week >a href="https://inside-dog.blogspot.com/2022/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-june-13.html">here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I finally tested negative, now I'm on to recuperation.

      Delete
  7. Feel better soon! I love the apron that you made, very pretty. And I just brought home 'Love, Violet' from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to reading what you think of Love, Violet.

      Delete
  8. Wow—I'm glad to hear you're finally negative as per the comments, but still, that is a really long time to be having symptoms! I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better now, and I hope you feel even better this week. Also, wow, the apron you made is so beautiful!

    As for books, thank you so much for the shout-out! I'm so glad you enjoyed Every Little Kindness and Love, Violet—they are both beautiful books. And I really enjoyed your thoughts on Gibberish as well—I did also interpret it as being a single day within the canon of the story, but I think adults could unpack that it's more of a metaphorical day and that process is much slower in real life. I'll Go and Come Back and Entangled Life both look excellent, and it's great that you enjoyed The Wee Free Men so much as you were falling asleep! Thanks so much for the wonderful post, Cheriee, and feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find time to read Entangled Life. It's an adult nonfiction title that is so important for where our world is at right now!

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear that you've been struggling with COVID! I had it too, and it's no joke. Love, Violet sounds terrific, as does Gibberish. My favourite Tiffany Aching book is Wintersmith and I'm totally with you in listening to familiar audiobooks before going to bed. Feel better, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid is really no joke. I don't want to think what it might have been like without being vaccinated to the hilt. I enjoyed Wintersmith too, but I adored The Shepherd's Crown.

      Delete
  10. Glad you are gradually feeling better. Reading is the best recovery right? Gibberish is a new picture book to me and would be a great addition to my read alouds and to share with teachers at my school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading certainly keeps me from getting too bored when I have no energy, and yes, it is the best recovery. I agree with you about sharing Gibberish with teachers!

      Delete
  11. I thought the same with regards to Quinn’s book. Entangled does sound fascinating, thanks for the rec.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back to Big Book Summer, Cheriee! So glad you joined the fun again - I think you've been participating almost since the beginning!

    So sorry you are still struggling with a slow recovery - COVID is serious stuff. Glad you are listening to your body and resting a lot - that's just what you need.

    Looks like you have some great books to read while you are recovering! I also really enjoyed The Diamond Eye - just fascinating. And I see you're reading An Elegant Defense - one of my reads for Nonfiction November last year and very appropriate for you right now! I was really intrigued by the early mentions of Dr. Fauci's pre-COVID research expertise in the immune system.

    Hope you enjoy your books this week and continue to recover - rest and be kind to yourself!

    Sue
    2022 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving An Elegant Defence - and it sure is appropriate for now.

      Delete
  13. P.S. By mistake, you linked to your Goodreads page instead of your blog on the Big Book Summer sign-ups, so I fixed it. Now people can find your blog! Remember, if you want to, you can also link your reviews or updates in the second link list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I haven't created a web page - Covid really kicked my butt. I'm just taking care of the basics!

      Delete
  14. I added Entangled Life to my TBR after you recommended it in your comment on my blog. Now I find that I need to add several others!

    Have you read Spirals in Time by Helen Scales? She made mollusks interesting. I thought of it when you mentioned Entangled Life.

    I hope you feel completely better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the heads up about Spirals in Time. I've added it to my never ending list.

      Delete
  15. I love Terry Pratchett so much. Is Wee Free Men part of the Tiffany Aching sub series? I'm a fan. I, too, am participating in the Big Book Challenge this summer. Here is my first book review: The Heart's Invisible Furies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a hard core Pratchett fan. I fell in love after reading Nation. Wee Free Men is the first in the Tiffany Aching series. It's the book that got me started reading his Discworld collection.

      Delete
  16. I was thinking about how I haven't yet found Every Little Kindness in any of my libraries, but then I just checked one of them and VOILA! I'm so excited to add this to my reading list for June. Also, we just bought The Wee Free Men for our oldest son as an Easter gift (after your previous discussion of Terry Pratchett), so I'll call dibs once he's finished it. Also, what an ADORABLE apron! ❤️

    ReplyDelete