#IMWAYR June 20, 2022

Welcome readers! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next. 


While I'm not yet back up to my pre Covid energy levels, I am hardly coughing at all these days! My garden is almost under control. If the rain ever holds off, I'm pretty sure that I will finish weeding the out of control areas just in time to start all over again. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS 

5 stars

A Blue Kind of Day
by Rachel Tomlinson & Tori-Jay Mordey (Illustrations) April 5, 2022

This is an important book that addresses childhood depression. It is gorgeous to looks at. Tori-Jay Mordey's artwork fills readers up with empathy for Coen's experience of being blue. I appreciated the author's note in the back matter on childhood depression and helping children deal with emotions.

This is a beautiful book that celebrates the freedom of summer holidays in the Brooklyn neighbourhood where the author grew up. Its full of joyful energy that took me back to wild carefree summers of my own youth in the small town where I come from.

NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS 

5 stars


Ablaze with Color: A Story of Painter Alma Thomas
by Jeanne Walker Harvey & Loveis Wise (Illustrations) February 22, 2022

I knew nothing about Alma Thomas (or Loveis Wise, the illustrator of this book) until reading this picture book biography. Jeanne Walker Harvey introduces readers to Alma Thomas, an African American artist who taught art to children in Washington DC. When she was 70, she began to focus on her own art. She was the first black woman to have her own show at the Whitney Museum in New York City and to have her work chosen for the White House collection. I love how Loveis Wise's artwork integrates Alma Thomas style into the illustrations for this book. 
I encourage everyone to do a google search of both their work.

ADULT NOVELS 

4 stars

The House in the Cerulean Sea
 by T.J. Klune &
 Daniel Henning (Narrator)
This sweetly sappy gay romance absolutely delighted me. Linus Baker, a caseworker at the Department of Magical Youth, ends up on a month long top secret assignment at Marsyas Island Orphanage. While he is there he falls in love with the ocean, the island, the children, and Arthur Parnassus, their caretaker.
While this is a satisfying light read, it's full of important messages about the consequences of othering people who are different from us.

ADULT NON FICTION

5+ stars

An Elegant Defense: The Extraordinary New Science of the Immune System: A Tale in Four Lives
 by Matt Richtel
March 12, 2019

This is an intimate, conversational, overview of the evolving science of how our immune systems works. Richtel integrates the science into the stories of four individuals. 
The most important thing about this book is how readable it is.
He talks about the immune system within the contexts of the AIDs crisis, the consequences of overusing antibiotics, the role of autoimmunity and allergies, and cancer treatments.
Readers will learn a lot from this book. The most important takeaway about how to build a strong immune system is to eat food that gets dropped on the floor. Getting a proper sleep and avoiding stress are equally important. Also, smoking is bad, bad, bad. 
He shows how dangerous our overuse of antibiotics is, explaining that, "Bacteria are passing back-and-forth among themselves a genetic code that allows them to fend off attacks from antibiotics. In fact, bacteria that are under attack from antibiotics can effectively call out to their fellow bacteria for help (Send me some protective genetic material!) and the resistance can be transferred."
In the last chapter he talks about what our immune system has to teach us about living our lives. There are important messages about accepting and celebrating diversity. "Our survival, as individuals and as a species, is best served by cooperation. This may sound obvious, but civilization, even of late, has been dominated by the push and pull of our competing instincts to cooperate and alienate, to see what people share in common or prey on what divides them. The lesson of the immune system is that the better able we are to find common ground, the more allies and weapons we have to contend with a greater, common foe."
Highly Recommended!


Clarence Louie is Chief of the Osoyoos Indian Band near where I live. I read this book to learn more about him and the Syilx people, the original inhabitants of this land. In his thirty six years as Chief, he has worked hard to create meaningful, well paying jobs for his people. His business focused leadership has paid off big time.

The band website states:
"The Osoyoos Indian Band currently has 540 members. Because of their work ethic and our diversified investments, unemployment on the reserve is not only less than 3%, but 20% of these band members are in senior positions.
Over the last 6 years, OIBDC group revenues have increased 70% and now sit at $28.2M spanning thirteen different lines of business. Commercial leasing (38%), tourism (20%) and construction related services (14%) contribute the most to OIBDC’s bottom line."

Although I don't see myself as belonging to any group, my grandmother was Menomenie from Wisconsin. Because of this, I've been reading about Indigenous history here in Canada and the United states since my 20's. I only mention this because much of the history Clarence Louie writes about isn't new to me. What is new is what this history means to him and his world view. I also appreciated learning more about the specific history of Syilx here in the valley, and the Osoyoos band in particular - especially with regards to the shameful reserve debacle.
This book is about Louie's perspective of leadership and how the band has come to this remarkable measure of success. Louie believes in the healing power of work. I wondered a bit about his focus on full time employment because I have friends and family with mental and physical health problems who can't manage this - it ends up making them sicker. Yet I see a lot of validity in his thinking - especially with regards to his statement that when you hit a certain age you should either 1. have a full time job, 2. be going to school, or if you can't do either of those, 3. be in counselling. After finishing this book I'm pretty sure that he would be able to make accommodations for people like my friends.
I have a few other quibbles where his focus seems to be one sided, but absolutely none of it takes away from what Clarence Louie has accomplished. Ultimately he's become a master of manipulating business and capitalism on behalf of the people he loves. It's a remarkable legacy.

CURRENTLY

Satellite Love by Genki Ferguson  πŸ

The Marvellers by Dhonielle Clayton

UP NEXT 

Worser by Jennifer Ziegler

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel  πŸ

READING GOALS

#MustReadFiction 12/24 

#MustReadNonFiction 11/18 

Canadian Authors 32/100 one in progress

Canada Reads shortlist 5/5 

Indigenous Authors 12/25

2022 Big Book Summer Challenge 2  

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 141 /250

22 comments:

  1. Quite a variety of books. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It took me a while to get through An Elegant Defense.

      Delete
  2. I really need to read House in the Cerulean Sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! I finished Under the Whispering Door by him a few weeks ago, and read reviews claiming that this one was better so I had to read it. I would say it's different. Both are wonderful sweet reads.

      Delete
  3. I listened to the audio of The House in the Cerulean Sea. It was very entertaining and I agree that the message is an important one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the audio also. Have you read Under the Whispering Door?

      Delete
  4. So many books that need to be on my list are here, Cheriee. It sounds fascinating to read about the immune system & Rez Rules (if I can find it) sounds good, too. I enjoyed Ablaze With Color, too, & have A Blue Kind of Day already on my list. Hope the rain holds off for you but please, send it our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need the rain also, but I hope you get some soon.

      Delete
  5. Nice variety of books. Rez Rules does sound fascinating. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Rez Rules will be as available in other countries as it is here in Canada. He does address issues connected to United States.

      Delete
  6. First off, I'm so glad you're feeling better from COVID—I hope your energy goes back to normal soon! And good luck finishing up your weeding too. As for books, I made note of all three picture books you listed—I actually have A Blue Kind of Day checked out from the library right now, to read in the next week or two. The House in the Cerulean Sea is an absolutely delightful book, and I am so glad you got the chance to read it! An Elegant Defense sounds fascinating, and Rez Rules looks extremely impactful as well. Thank you so much for the wonderful post, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Max. It was probably you who turned me onto Under the Whispering Door. These two books have turned me into a hardcore T.J. Klune fan.

      Delete
  7. You remind me of myself-such a great variety of books you've been reading! I love all of Jacqueline Woodson's books and am adding this to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry-I posted that "anonymously"-it's really me!

      Delete
    2. Isn't it great to be able to read so widely? I hate it when I try to find a acqueline Woodson book and my libraries don't carry it.

      Delete
  8. These all sound good, but I think I'm especially interested in An Elegant Defense. So many good kids' books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished up Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures by Merlin Sheldrake last week and didn't think it could get better. An Elegant Defense is at least it's equal if not better.

      Delete
  9. Great books! I really loved The House in the Cerulean Sea and The World Belonged to Us. I'm also glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendi. Did you also read and enjoy Under the Whispering Door?

      Delete
  10. All these books sounds great. I still need to read The House in the Cerulean Sea. It has been on my radar forever. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out reading T.J. Klune's Under the Whispering Door, and became an instant fan. He is the ideal balance to all the nonfiction I've been reading.

      Delete
  11. Aw, I still need to read The House in the Cerulean Sea. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete