#IMWAYR June 5, 2022

Welcome readers! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next. 



Well, it finally happened. My cousin and I, even though we wore our N95 masks, picked Covid up at a celebration of life last weekend.  My sister, who was with us, managed to escape the bullet. Six days in and I am still testing positive. The worst of it is that it has triggered my asthma which will take some time to get back under control. I sure am glad I have had all my vaccinations. I shudder to imagine what this would be like without them. 

Aside from that I had a wonderful time with my women friends in our three bedroom cabin on the beach. I got no reading accomplished while with them except for listening to a bit of Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett before going to sleep.

I was visiting with the grandkids for a couple of sleeps before the weekend and enjoyed reading with them. I did nothing for the first few days of Covid, but I've managed to read a bit with my eyes and my ears since then.

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS 

3 stars

The Blur
 by Minh Lê & Dan Santat (Illustrations) May 03, 2022

I get why this might be a popular giveaway at graduation. However, unlike Oh, the Places You Go! by Dr Seuss, which I have read to children of many ages, this one feels focused on adults and older readers. My five year old granddaughter wasn’t interested at all.

NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS 

This book provides a vignette from Yo-Yo Ma's Bach Project, a two year endeavour to connect people through music. In this instance we see him playing at the Mexican/United States border in Texas. It is beautifully written and beautifully illustrated. 
Extra material in the back matter tells us more about Yo-Yo Ma, the project, and Petunia, his cello. If you are like me, you will want to go and listen to the music as soon as you are done reading. 




My granddaughter and I are huge fans of Mercy Watson. I had to explain about drive in movie theatres back in the day when I was young. Aside from that we both laughed and laughed at Mercy's exploits. Alas there was no hot buttered popcorn waiting for us when we finished.

My granddaughter and I enjoyed this third adventure at The Fabled Stables. It's a story about belonging and attachment. With Fen claiming that caretakers don't stay forever, Auggie is worried that he might have to leave. The two of them end up chasing after a new beast, a Shibboleth. It leads them to the lair of the nasty Rooks. After the Shibboleth swallows Auggie whole, it's up to Fen to save the day.


This is a lovely tale about community. Cress, her mother, and younger brother have to leave their warren and move into an apartment in an old tree. There is much going on: grief for the father who went out one night and didn't return, wild precarious adventures, making new friends, and becoming part of a loving community. David Litchfield's artwork is glorious.

NOVELS


Once I started this book, I couldn't stop. It's a coming of age tale that includes a murder mystery. It's told from the perspectives of Todd, the ghost of the murdered young boy, and Georgia, a girl who becomes fascinated with the case. Both are queer kids finding it almost impossible to fit in. Georgia is sure she has seen Todd somewhere before. I found it interesting that while it's a murder mystery, Georgia does not try to be a detective. She still ends up discovering what happened to Todd and why. 
Tamaki's depictions of winter will have you going and putting a jacket on.


I'm always excited when Ms. Yingling gives a book 5 stars because I know it will be brilliant. 
This is the kind of historical MG novel I love best. While set in modern times, it educates readers, through the story telling of the grandfather, about what it was like to be Chinese American across the span of the last 100 years or so. There is also a solid story line relevant to the characters experiences today. Lisa Yee's characters deal with just the right amount of conflict that ends up getting resolved in a healthy manner. There is a bit of a mystery to solve. I appreciate how it shows us both overt and covert racism across all eras.

Klara is a highly observant artificial friend. The story is told from her perspective. In the first part of the novel, she waits in the shop taking in the world around her while waiting to be picked by a girl or boy. Then she is chosen by Josie, a young girl with a strange sickness. Being solar powered, Klara sees the sun as a kind of mystical being who can be convinced to heal her.
I was completely mesmerized by this book. It's a book that examines relationships, childhood, love, and what it means to be human. Yet that ending was brutal. Klara is a character I won't be able to forget.

CURRENTLY

An Elegant Defense: The Extraordinary New Science of the Immune System: A Tale in Four Lives by Matt Richtel

Satellite Love
by Genki Ferguson  🍁

The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

UP NEXT 

Rez Rules by Chief Clarence Louie

Worser by Jennifer Ziegler

READING GOALS

#MustReadFiction 12/24 

#MustReadNonFiction 8/18 one in progress

Canadian Authors 31/100

Canada Reads shortlist 5/5 

Indigenous Authors 11/25

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 128 /250

11 comments:

  1. I want to check out The Blur. I didn't realize there is already a third Fabled Stables book. Great series. Klara and the Sun was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this Fabled Stables series. It's as much fun for adults to read as it is children!

      Delete
  2. I really like Mariko Tamaki's graphic novels, and Cold sounds very good! I also need to read Maizy Chen. Hope you feel better and recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her graphic novels too. I especially like the ones she does with her cousin, Jillian Tamaki. When I ordered this, that's what I thought I would get, but I ended up enjoying it anyway.

      Delete
  3. Glad to read your review of Klara and the Sun. It sounds delightful. I also noted Cold, a new one to me. I agree about Blur. I enjoyed it but it really is for parents & grandparents. And I love the Yo-Yo Ma book. Take care of yourself. So many I know have picked up that pesky Covid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klara is one of those unreliable narrators, but you can't help but wonder if she is right. I hope you find time to read the book. I would love to read your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear you have Covid and that it stirred up your asthma. Sending you healing vibes and that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm really thankful I have had all my vaccinations. I shudder to imagine what this would be like without them.

      Delete
  5. Cheriee, I am so sorry that you have COVID! I'm surprised you got it even with such strong masks on, and it's awful that your asthma is worse because of it. I hope you start feeling better soon! I am glad you got to visit with some family and friends beforehand, at least.

    As for books, it's a shame that The Blur isn't quite as appealing to younger readers as older ones! I am really glad you enjoyed Playing at the Border—that one was very memorable for me. Cold sounds compelling—I haven't read any of Tamaki's prose novels, but I imagine from her graphic novels that her skill would carry over! And I made note of Maizy Chen's Last Chance and Klara and the Sun—the latter is one I've heard so many incredible things about. Thanks so much for the wonderful post, and again, feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max. I checked out Cold thinking it was a graphic novel, but ended up loving it even though it wasn't. Blur is the kind of book I would give to new parents I think. I hope you find time to read Klara and the Sun. I would love to read your remarks about it.

      Delete
  6. Oh, no! So very sorry that you got COVID and that it affected your asthma :( Hope you feel better soon. Glad you got to enjoy some time with friends and with your grandkids.

    Some great books here! I love Kate DiCamillo but haven't read Mercy Watson. And I love Mariko Tamaki, too and hadn't heard of Cold yet. And I so want to read Klara and the Sun!

    On my blog, you mentioned that you plan to join Big Book Summer again, so just a reminder (for when you feel better) to mention it here and then link your post on the challenge page - no rush.

    Feel better and enjoy your books!

    Sue
    2022 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete