#MustReadin2018 April 5, Update




Carrie Gelson at There's a Book for That, hosts #MustRead. I have been joining in for the past couple of years. If you have a "want to read" list on Goodreads (or somewhere else) that goes on forever, then you might be interested in joining. All you have to do is choose any number of specific books on that list, and do your best to read them all. A few times a year Carrie reminds us that it's time to be accountable and post an update of how we are doing. It's a good thing for me since knowing these times are coming up reminds me to focus regularly on reading from my lists. 

This year I created a number of different reading goals from my never ending and always expanding want to read list on Goodreads. My goals were to read at least a specific number of books from different lists including some general fiction, some nonfiction, and some from Canadian Indigenous authors. You can see my original goals here

I identified fifty fiction titles of which I planned to read twenty five . So far I have managed to read ten of them. At this point in time, I am very happy with the fluidity of this plan.

Here is what I finished so far. 


They were all good, although if I am honest The War I Finally Won has been my favourite so far, followed closely by Eugenia Lincoln and the Unexpected Package. They got five stars from me. So did Dear Martin and Wish, but they didn't resonate as deeply as those first two. 

I'm currently reading two books from this list: What Elephants Know by Eric Dinerstein and Thousand Star Hotel by Bao Phi. 

I haven't been as successful with my nonfiction goal. Out of a possible twenty four books, I've finished these three. 


Given that my goal is to read twelve of them, I suppose this isn't too bad.  I enjoyed them equally although Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by BrenĂ© Brown, touched me most personally. 

I have a couple of books from this list on the go. The Bee Book is one I'm just picking up and browsing once in a while as a result of a beekeeping workshop I took recently. I should have finished We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie since it is really short, but I don't need to finish it for another week, and besides, it seems like it is just a transcript of one of her Ted Talks, which I watched earlier.

My other goal was to read at least 25 books by Canadian Indigenous authors. So far I have completed these seven:


They are mostly different books geared to different audiences. The two here that blew my mind are The Accident of Being Lost by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson and Celia's Song by Lee Maracle. These, as well as The Sockeye Mother present ways of knowing the world from indigenous perspectives. I am especially looking forward to reading more by Maracle and Simpson. 



7 comments:

  1. Wow, you've done so much, Cheriee. I loved The War I Finally Won, and though I've really enjoyed many others, I was saddest when that one ended. Perhaps she'll write another? I have Daring Greatly, maybe soon? Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a rumour that there might be another. I sure hope so!

      Delete
  2. I read some professional texts, but other than that not much nonfiction so far this year. It's a genre I should add more of. I also loved The War I Finally Won. I agree with Linda, there should be a third!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal of at least one a month has turned into being some of my reading highlights!

      Delete
  3. I also adored The War I Finally Won! You are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have A Girl Called Echo on my list also. I too loved The War I Finally Won. It's soooo good. Daring Greatly was another I enjoyed. I wish you the best as you keep reading.

    ReplyDelete