#IMWAYR October 7, 2024

Welcome! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next!

We are hosting a birthday party for my uncle Monday night. Even though I prepped a lot of dinner in advance, the day will be a bit crazy since I start out with a meeting. I probably won't get round to reading your posts til Tuesday, but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to.

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.
Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

This is the story of a boy who struggles to become a reader. The words on the page just don't make sense to him so he doesn't like to read. When his teacher asks the students to bring in their favourite book, he's in trouble. A librarian tries to help him find one. A bookseller tries to help him. He comes home dejected. Luckily his mom comes up with an idea and he ends up writing a book about himself. 
This book reminded me of when I first started teaching. Part of how we taught reading was through the key word method. Students would pick their word of the day. I would print it on a strip of card stock. The student would then print and illustrate the word. We did a lot of teaching with those words!


When Lia and her family arrive in Montreal, she can only speak Romanian. She ends up in a class with other students from around the world who are in a similar predicament. As they learn French together they become friends. Slowly, Lia's language and grades improve. Her artistic talent gets her on the staff of the school magazine.
I love a lot about this book.
I appreciate how supportive the group of friends are. I like that the misunderstanding that arises between Lia and another girl are eventually resolved without excessive drama. While romance plays a roll here, it's not the most important part of the story. I adored the fashions that the girls in the story are wearing even if they don't jive with the technology of the day!
I appreciate that Lia's period, and the problems she has with them, are dealt with in a realistic, ordinary way. I like that Lia's parents are supportive and understanding. The interactions between Lia and her brother are authentic as is the way her parents deal with them.
I like that the book is populated with a multicultural cast of characters. I appreciated that most of the older characters are shown in different body shapes and sizes. I just wish there had been more of this in the friend group.
I'm looking forward to the next book in this series!

Ent
ADULT/YA NON FICTION


I wasn't as gobsmacked by this book by Jen Gunter as I was by her most recent title, Blood: The Science, Medicine, and Mythology of Menstruation, but I still think it's brilliant. She is less vociferous in her condemnation of the snake oil salesmen who try to make women feel bad about their bodies, but it's there. I appreciate all her advice about looking after our vagina and vulva, while not obsessing over it's 'purity'.
I want Jen Gunter to write a book for middle grade children. By the time women are old enough to to read this, they will already have been sucked into the misinformation social media circus.


"I Am Woman represents my personal struggle with womanhood, culture, traditional spiritual beliefs and political sovereignty, written during a time when that struggle was not over. My original intention was to empower Native women to take to heart their own personal struggle for Native feminist being. It remains my attempt to present a Native woman's sociological perspective on the impacts of colonialism on us, as women, and on my self personally."

It took me a while to take in these essays and poetry. Lee Maracle's words need time to steep. Sometimes I would read one essay before setting it aside. Other times I only read a few pages, or just a poem. I copied out a lot of quotes.
Maracle's honest perspective is brutal at times - whether she's talking about colonization, racism, internalized racism, the American Indian Movement, Native government, Native men, white men, white women, Native women, or herself.
It was originally published in 1988. I wonder how her perspective had changed by the time she died in 2021. I found that the terrifying thing about many of these essays, is not that they are a snapshot of the times, but rather that, given the move towards the right these days, still relevant.
I leave you with a few quotes that I found relevant:
 
"The one thing about human beings we can all be sure of, besides death, is imperfection. We don’t need to go to each other to screw up. We do it naturally."

"Loving children is one of the most difficult of life’s tasks. It is one of the things that is very hard to do well. Procreation, pure and simple is natural. But loving children is work, work for which there is no reward.… Love is what drives you to rise in the early hours of the morning, feed and clothe the kids and get them off to school before you go to work. Love stops you from beating the Jeezus out of the monster when she kicks her sister off the porch, pisses in the yard or paints the wall with a pen. Liking them takes much more work. It is hard to like a person as outrageous as that."

In the following video Lee Maracle is delivering the Margaret Lawrence Lecture.  It is 38 minutes long and worth every minute. 


CURRENTLY 

The Book of More Delights by Ross Gay September 19, 2023

Wandering Stars by Tommy Orange February 27, 2024

Into the Bright Open by Cheri Dimaline September 5, 2023 🍁

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver January 1, 1994

UP NEXT (MAYBE)

We Solve Murders by Richard Osman September 17, 2024

Weyward by Emilia Hart, Aysha Kala (Narrator), Helen Keeley (Narrator) & Nell Barlow (Narrator) February 2, 2023

READING GOALS 

#MustRead2024 16/25 one on the go

NonFiction 25/24 one on the go

Canadian Authors 58/50 three on the go

Indigenous Authors 26/25 one on the go

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 168/200    

16 comments:

  1. Interesting assortment of books. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The New Girl looks like it will be a winner with young readers. I am intrigued by your adult nonfiction titles too. I remember liking the picture book when I read it a while back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be. I doubt readers will see the anachronism of cell phone use in the 1990's. Both of these nonfiction titles are important reading.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that books like The Vagina Bible exist, and I definitely see your point about having a book that covers these topics for a younger audience in an age-appropriate manner to avoid a lot of anxiety and self hate. The misogynistic nonsense that vaginas are "impure" would be hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! I'm planning on reading The Menopause Bible by Gunter next. I agree completely with "The misogynistic nonsense that vaginas are "impure" would be hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating." I've got three young granddaughters who I don't want to have to deal with that crap.

      Delete
  4. I hope the party went well. I'm always super impressed by how varied your reading is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Earl. The party was a success! I set goals to read as diversely as possible, and am helped with this by readers like you who introduce me to so many fabulous books!

      Delete
  5. I hope your uncle had a nice birthday! My Very Favorite Book in the Whole Wide World looks like such a cute book! I have a copy of Jen Gunter's The Vagina Bible on my bookshelf, but haven't read it yet. I did like her Menopause Manifesto. I hope you are enjoying your current reads! I would like to read something by Tommy Orange at some point. I am reading Weyward now and really liking it. I hope you will enjoy the audio version! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to read Menopause Manifesto, but I suspect that she has mostly dealt with all this material more or less in her most recent book Blood. I started Weyward a while ago and found it too intense and depressing for me then, but plan to return to it!

      Delete
  6. Your list of books look really interesting. I have We Solve Murders on my list too. I'm not sure when I'll get to it. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying We Solve Murders, but miss all the characters in his Thursday Murder Club series.

      Delete
  7. The New Girl looks good, and The Vagina Bible sounds intriguing. Reminds me of the sudden flood of TV ads we're seeing hawking "whole body deodorant" for everywhere, including "down there." Infuriating for ads to be telling women they need that.
    I'm late visiting (again!) but I hope you're having a good week and enjoying your books -

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to see you whenever you show up! These TV ads drive me crazy! I was chatting with some other post menopausal women who were discussing the products they used. I was shocked since all I use is plain water!

      Delete
  8. I love the sound of My Very Favorite Book in the Whole World! And I need to read Thursday Murder Club.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do indeed need to read Thursday Murder Club! I suspect that after you read the first one, you will realize you have been living a deprived reading life.

    ReplyDelete