FREE VERSE FRIDAY #11 November A Splash of Colour

I've joined Beverly A Baird, Linda Schueler and others in a "year long poetry practice – on the first Friday of each Month," when they, and anyone else who joins, will be writing a poem based on the theme of the month and a photo taken relating to that theme.

You can find out more about this here.

I usually write a poem and send it off to my two favourite photographers to come up with an image to accompany it. Last month as the posting date drew near, I hadn't written a thing, I begged them for inspiration. Each of them sent me an image so I ended up writing two poems!

I was thinking of poppies with this theme, but neither of them were on the same page as I was. When I told my husband, Randy Rotheisler, the theme was 'a splash of colour' he told me he knew what he was sending me and it didn't matter what I wrote. I complained to Ron, and he also sent me a photo. Both images are of course, just bloody stunning!
I tried to write a poem that connects their two images, but gave up and ended up with two. I think they are sort of connected. Both are really about transformation and endings. 

image by Ron Peace


last rites

autumn's
thaumaturgy
conjures
variegated 
iridescence
out of once
verdant 
landscape

a final benediction 
before the grim grey of winter



image by Randy Rotheisler


in the evening,
spirals 
of red 
luminesce,
snake 
across 
the dark
disappearing 
into 
    the maw
of winter


In case you are interested, the above photographs can be purchased from the photographers. Let me know if you want their contact information.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - stunning photos and amazing poems. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for including me! I've really enjoyed writing along with you and Linda!

      Delete
  2. Those are indeed both stunning images and poems! I learned a new word too: thaumaturgy. I love the sparseness and vividness of your poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda. If you continue into the new year, I will continue to participate!

      Delete