#IMWARY October 30, 2023

Welcome! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next.

I had a great time at my quilting workshop last weekend. It turned out that I had cut some of my background fabric wrong, but it wasn't the end of the world. I just had to cut the rest of it to match. This meant that my blocks were smaller and that I had to cut out a bunch more pieces. (I still need to cut more) Ok, so it was a big deal, but it still wasn't the end of the world. I now have about 70 blocks made. I only need 26 more before I get to the fun part of arranging them. 

I Read Canadian day is coming up soon - November 8th of this year. I'm planning my reading life so that I will be only reading Canadian authors that whole week! What are you scheduling? 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.
 
Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

CHILDREN'S PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars

How Does Santa Go Down the Chimney?
 by Mac Barnett, Jon Klassen 🍁 (Illustrator) September 12, 2023

While I was reading this, I really wished my 6 year old grandson could have been here with me. 
It is hilarious!
Of course it is. 
This duo create magic with everyone of their collaborations. 

Is there anyone who doesn't just adore Pigeon? 
Is there anyone who doesn't adore Mo Willems? 
Will that Pigeon really ride the roller coaster? 
Can I can please, please, please keep this book checked out of the library until the grandkids come to visit again?

MIDDLE GRADE GRAPHIC


Besties: Find Their Groove
by Kayla Miller, Jeffrey Canino, Kristina Luu (Illustrator) September 27, 2022

I am thankful to Max @ Completely Full Bookshelf for writing about this mini series. It's a spin off from Kayla Miller's Click Series. I like that many of the characters from the main series are included here, but we are focused on two best friends, Beth and Chanda. A school dance is on the horizon and the two girls have to figure out how to make it their best night ever, navigate their way through the morass of what to wear and how to get a date. Do they even need a date? Both of the girls end up learning a lot about themselves and each other before it's over. 
I like how Chanda ended up apologizing for her behaviour. I like how she listened to Beth who has her own issues. I liked that both have older sisters and that those relationships, while they don't always run smoothly, are supportive. 


When Mary Kate Murphy is accepted into a pilot class focussing on Climate Change, she has no idea that she is going to learn about a lot more than the climate. She soon learns that the climate crisis and social justice and interconnected issues. 
There is a lot going on in this book. I really appreciated that the diversity of the ramifications of the climate crisis are explored. Mary Kate's best friend is ill and might be dying until her parents are persuaded to take her to a new doctor. She is finally diagnosed with a number of infections caused by a tick bite. She learns that tick numbers are on the rise because of warmer winters. (This is also why we have had an explosion in pine beetle numbers and the decimation of pine forests) 
I like how we get to know the different class members through their application to the program letters. Each one of them has different climate crisis related concerns. 
If I have any quibble with this book, it is that the existing mayor is a caricature. Nobody is that one dimensionally evil. 
Carrie Firestone's book, Dress Coded, is available from my library, and if I didn't already have so many books on the go, I would have started it as soon as I finished this. 

ADULT/YA FICTION


Ever since reading Dark Matter, I have been a fan of Blake Crouch. I planned to read this as soon as it was published, but other books and life interfered with it. I'm finally getting to it. Friends, this is why I create must read lists. 

This is a fascinating science fiction novel involving time travel. There are two main protagonists: neuroscientist, Helena Smith, and NYC cop, Barry Sutton. A case of false memory lands Barry in a strange hotel where he ends up revealing his worst memory. He comes to awareness in the middle of the memory and discovers that he reliving those events. He has a chance to change history and does. Helena Smith is the creator of the chair that enabled him to time travel.
Like any too good to be true invention, it is. In this case, the mess it creates is made worse by the plans for the machine being stolen and sold. Barry and Helena are forced to relive their lives in an attempt to find a way to stop the end of the world.

CURRENTLY

Take Back The Fight: Organizing Feminism for the Digital Age by Nora Loreto  🍁
Animal,
Mindy Makes Some Space by Nathan Fairbairn & MSASSYK (illustrator) 🍁

UP NEXT 

A New Season by Terry Fallis 🍁

Generation Dread: Finding Purpose in an Age of Climate Crisis
by Britt Wray 🍁

I'm going to continue to tackle that pile of picture books..

READING GOALS 

#MustReadFiction 21/24 one in progress

#MustReadNonFiction 14/20 two in progress

Canadian Authors 44/75 

Indigenous Authors 20/20 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 170/200 

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about your quilting error but smaller squares will make it look great, I imagine. I have the Santa book, just waiting a little more before sharing. I put Besties on my list along with 'Climate Club', will check out Blake Crouch's books. There are so many that I know I would love, hard to keep up! Have a great week this week, Cheriee! Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers Linda. It's impossible to keep on top of all the books, never mind read them all!

      Delete
  2. I also love Mo Willems and books about Pigeon. I haven't read that one yet. It was easier to keep up when I was a school librarian. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it was easier to keep with Mo Willems when I was a school librarian. It's because I have grandchildren that I continue to read and check out children's books.

      Delete
  3. The Pigeon books are so popular (as all books by Mo Willems!). The newest Pigeon book about riding a sleigh is super cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've wanted to read every single book on a reviewer's list.

    I would put holds on every single one of these books, but the Toronto Public Library is dealing with a cyber attack and has been offline for several days. (Disaster!)

    I haven't read any Blake Crouch (I spend so much time reading MG and YA that I have very little time left over for adult reads) but Recursion's premise just blows me away.

    Thanks so much for the great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really sucks about the Toronto Public Library. Who the hell attacks a library????
      I still love reading MG and YA, but now that I am retired, I get to spend time catching up on all the adult novels I never had time for when I was working as an elementary TL. I have discovered a passion for nonfiction that I never had time for before. (I was and still am a fan of nonfiction picture books!)

      Delete
  5. The third and fourth titles are on my TBR but who knows when I'll actually get around to reading them, lol.

    ReplyDelete