FREE VERSE FRIDAY #10 October: Shadow (Part 2)

I've joined Beverly A Baird, Linda Schueler and others in a "year long poetry practice – on the first Friday of each Month," when they, and anyone else who joins, will be writing a poem based on the theme of the month and a photo taken relating to that theme.

You can find out more about this here.

I usually write a poem and send it off to my two favourite photographers to come up with an image to accompany it. I didn't have anything to send to them this month, and begged for help. My partner, Randy Rotheisler, sent me his so I wrote a poem for him first. I said that If Ron Peace sends me something, I'd write a poem for him too. He did. Here is his contribution and the poem I wrote for him. It was a struggle. 

by Ron Peace


Shadows

conceal
unknown
untold
mysteries

dystopian histories
strewn across 
the plains of time

only
the moldering bones 
of memory
remain

Maybe it's because I've been reading about the history of Indigenous people here in Canada, that this image reminded me of buffalo and their deliberate slaughter. 


In case you are interested, the above photograph can be purchased from the photographer. Let me know if you want their contact information.


2 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of the buffalo too when I saw the picture. Well done capturing that in your poem.

    ReplyDelete