#IMWAYR January 16, 2023

Welcome! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next.


New shelving from Ikea arrived for my sewing room last weekend. I managed to get it almost together by myself. My partner had to help me at the end where it needed two people. I am in the process of trying to reorganize that space. It's an unholy mess in there now. It will get better. 

I subbed in a grade 8 English class last week. Be still my heart, they were writing poetry. It was delightful. I've started to think of grade 8 as the kindergarten of High School and now I just can't help but love them. 

I managed to get my update for my #MustReadin2022 post up this week. I've started on one for 2023. I think it will be more or less the same as last year's goals with different numbers since my goal is to read less books. 

I had fun on Sunday participating a bit in Max@Completely Full Bookshelf's #LiveLikeABookChallenge


Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

BLOG POSTS LAST WEEK

Final Reading Update for 2022
This book is based on the experiences of the author's son. Phoenix was a sickly child who wasn't even expected to live. They grew into a child who loved dolls, twirling and dancing. Phoenix enjoyed both ballet, grass dancing and fancy dancing. They made friends with others who liked the same things.
As they grew older, Phoenix became deeply distressed by the bullying of other boys because they were not like them. Their mother taught them about Two Spirit/Niizh Manidoowag people in Anishinaabe culture and how they are revered. Two spirited people have both a male and female spirit within them. From this Phoenix came to take pride in their special identity.
Totally engrossing! This might be even better than the first in the series. It seems like this year might be better for Amari at the Academy, but an odd time freeze changes everything. When the rest of the world else returns to normal, the Supernatural World Congress remains frozen. The frozen ruler is replaced by Bane, an anti magician ruler. At first it looks like being kicked out of school is the least of her worries. When she is allowed to return, it's under strict conditions. But something nefarious is afoot and Amari, her best friend, and her new partner will do everything they can to figure it out.
At the same time, Dylan has escaped from prison and the Magician's League has set Amari in a contest against him to see who will be the new leader.
There are plenty of hairsbreadth escapes from danger to keep readers of all ages engaged. It's full of suspense as we wonder who Amari can trust and who will betray her.
This is such a delightful series. Lila Macapagal, the amateur sleuth, tries to figure out who killed the investor in her cousin's new winery. If you like cosy mysteries loaded with descriptions of food that makes your mouth water, (and recipes) then this is for you.  

CYBILS GRAPHIC


I am unable to comment on these right now other, so I'm just sharing quotes the from GoodReads blurbs. 


Messy Roots: A Graphic Memoir of a Wuhanese American
 by Laura Gao
March 08, 2022
"In Messy Roots, Laura illustrates her coming-of-age as the girl who simply wants to make the basketball team, escape Chinese school, and figure out why girls make her heart flutter."3


Numb to This: Memoir of a Mass Shooting
by Kindra Neely October 11, 2022
"This searing graphic memoir portrays gun violence through a fresh lens, giving it urgency, humanity, and a very personal hope"


M Is for Monster
by Talia Dutton June 28, 2022
"A scientist attempts to bring her younger sister back to life with unexpected results in this Frankenstein-inspired graphic novel about ghosts, identity, and family"


Little Monarchs
by Jonathan Case April 05, 2022
"This graphic novel adventure tells the story of 10-year-old Elvie and her crucial mission to save humanity from extinction after a sun shift has changed life on earth as we know it."

CURRENTLY

The Big Sting by Rachelle Delaney

The Witches of Moonshyne Manor by Bianca Marais

The Tryout: A Graphic Novel by Christina Soontornvat & Joanna Cacao

UP NEXT 

More Graphic Novels for the Cybils 

READING GOALS 

#MustReadFiction 

#MustReadNonFiction 

Canadian Authors 2

Indigenous Authors 2

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 11/200


15 comments:

  1. Nice looking assortment of books! Enjoy your subbing adventures. That is such a hard job. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a hard job! Managing students without having a previous relationship with them is the biggest challenge!

      Delete
  2. I like the cover of Amari and the Great Game. I hope you enjoy reading this week!


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous, but what's inside is even more impressive!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you have enjoyed the new Amari adventure. I liked it, too, as you know, & wonder now what's next! I love that you love 8th graders as I taught that age with 7th graders, too. They are so capable of a lot of things & do not need to be treated like little kids. Thanks for Phoenix Gets Greater, sounds, well, Great! : ) And my library does have it! Also, I don't need another mystery series but "Blackmail. . ." is one I did bookmark! Thanks much for all, Cheriee. Best wishes for your new & improved sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Amari book really left us hanging on there! I want the next book now!
      It's easy I think to see the older students as competent and independent and forget that just like the younger students, they want to be seen and valued - is love the right work?

      Delete
  4. I just picked up Little Monarchs since it's been getting some buzz but I haven't had energy to read. Luckily, that's just been this past week and I have been listening to audio books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audiobooks get me through a lot of hard to read times. I will be interested to hear what you think of Little Monarchs.

      Delete
  5. Nice post on Kid Literature books. The mysery novel in the cooking series is interesting. I just find the recipes very heavy and cholesterol-full. Wish they would think of modifying the recipes for a younger, modern health conscious reading public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, It isn't easy to eat healthy, but I do my best. Just avoiding sugar is a huge challenge for me.

      Delete
  6. Interesting. Not familiar with any you listed, so thanks for sharing. My latest is here:
    http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2023/01/review-of-feast-of-fools-anthology.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up with so many new books on my list after reading these posts!

      Delete
  7. I totally enjoyed taking part in #LiveLikeaBook as well and recall your comment on my post :)
    The Cybils nominations added way too many books to my TBR (as always), and blog hopping adds many more as well..
    My Monday post is here

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the first book in Mia P. Manansala's series. I really have to catch up and read the follow up books. They look so good. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool about the poetry. :)

    Thank you for sharing your reading adventures!

    ReplyDelete