#IMWAYR August 23, 2021

 Hello everyone. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

Just a reminder to everyone that it's just about time for the fall #MustReadIn2021 update. I will create a post the last weekend of August for people to connect to. I'm looking forward to seeing how you are all doing. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.


PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars

The Farmer and the Monkey
 by Marla Frazee
September 22, 2020

I am astounded by how much emotion Marla Frazee shows in her illustrations. The beginning pages haunt me with their images of loneliness. The image of the farmer reading and holding the sleeping monkey almost made me weep.
I've read that some people see this book as problematic and understand this aspect of it.

GRAPHIC NOVELS


Yasmin, a young chef, and her father struggle to get by. They survive because of Yasmin's foraging skills and the kindness of two locals who farm in the local community gardens. When the gardens are unexpectedly sold to a corrupt potato farmer, she ends up stealing food from neighbour's gardens. 
There is something sinister about the potatoes. Not only do they make you go bonkers, once you get a taste of them, you won't eat anything else. It's up to Yasmina and her friends to figure out what's going on and fix it. 
The artwork in this is interesting. It's not at all like more traditional graphic novels. I like it. Check out some images here


Forever Friendship is a continuation of the Real Friends series. Hale's earlier memoirs, with brilliant artwork by LeYuen Pham, captured the social dynamics of girl friendship and bullying in elementary school. This one addresses Shannon's internal turmoil in middle school. Like the first two, it ends up being a template for how to survive and thrive through a tumultuous time in your life. Older girls and women might learn a thing or two from it. Check out my blog post here to read my full post and view some images from the book. 

4 stars

The Okay Witch
 by Emma Steinkellner September 3, 2019

I picked this up because Emma Steinkellner worked on Quince, a graphic novel finalist for the Cybils awards. I liked this story well enough that I will read the sequel, but it didn't wow me like Quince did. Essentially it's a tale about feeling like you don't belong and finding your identity.
Moth Hush is interested in anything connected to witchcraft. When she discovers that she has magical powers, it's unfortunate her mother hasn't taught her anything about it. It's worse that she refuses to help Moth develop her powers or tell her anything about her father or their history. 
I liked the diverse cast of characters. I liked that each of the three generations of witches has much to learn. I liked the artwork. My problem is that it's text heavy and the font is really small for my eyes. This probably isn't a problem for younger people.

4 stars

Pawcasso
by Remy Lai May 25, 2021

Jo connects with a dog carrying a basket. The dog is shopping. Jo accompanies it and gets mistaken for its owner. She doesn't deny it and soon her little lie becomes a huge one. She claims the dog's name is Pawcasso and takes it to art lessons at a local bookshop every Saturday. She ends up with a whole new circle of friends. When Pawcasso becomes the centre of controversy, Jo doesn't know how to extricate herself from the mess she has inadvertently created.
Two side stories weave their way through the plot. Jo's father works away from home, only to visit for a week every once in a long while. She has a hard time every time he leaves and would rather not care about him at all. At the same time, the dog's owner and her own father are estranged. Will Pawcasso be able to help them all mend fences?

CHAPTER BOOKS

5 stars

Maybe Maybe Marisol Rainey
 by Erin Entrada Kelly May 4, 2021

Through Marisol readers discover what it's like to be anxious and worried. She is afraid of many things, especially Peppina, the magnolia tree in her back yard.  With the help of her best friend, Jada, she just might be able to overcome it.
Erin Entrada Kelly writes authentic characters it's easy to bond with. She puts them in authentic relationships and situations. She does it again here with Marisol Rainey and her family. 
The bond between Marisol and her older brother Oz is at times conflictual, but it's also clear that they love one another. Entrada Kelly shows us that when problems arise between friends, being honest is the best way through them. 

NOVELS

5 stars

My Name Is Seepeetza
by Shirley Sterling November 1, 1992  🍁

This is a classic Canadian novel about life in a residential school. It highlights the racism of the time.
Seepeetza keeps a journal for the 1958/1959 school year when she is eleven. The harshness of the school contrasts with her loving home life. She writes matter of factly about the physical abuse and deprivation students endured, but other horrors are referred to as 'bad things.' 


This book has forbidden love, K-Pop, boarding school and grandparents.
Ok, so it's a bit over the top, but I still mostly enjoyed this delightful teen romance. Although I don't know much about K-Dramas, I suspect this novel might be one of them.


3 stars

Jackpot
by Nic Stone October 15, 2019

I'm not a hard core fan of YA romance in the first place, and I already had my fill of that kind of angst for this week. So that probably influences how I feel about this book. 

Reminder to self: Never more than one YA romance a week or maybe a month.

Rico, a poor black girl, enlists Zan, a rich white boy, to help her track down a winning lottery ticket. In the process they develop some kind of, almost, maybe, romantic relationship. My partner tells anyone who will listen that you have as much of a chance of finding a winning lottery ticket in the ditch as you do of winning. So right off the bat this book is essentially a fairy tale. I have nothing really against fairytales so long as you take the time to unpack them, and realize they are not real.
There were chunks of this I liked. I like that the main characters have depth to them. I liked that Rico did not instantly fall into the arms of the rich boy. I liked that Zan became a better human being through his relationship with Rico, although it seemed like it was a lot of work for her to get through to him.
Rico's mother irritated the hell out of me. Refusing to accept any aid, like health insurance, for your children, seems like an incredibly irresponsible and careless action. When your children's wellbeing is at stake, you set your pride aside and do what is needed.

CURRENTLY

Elvis, Me, and the Lemonade Stand Summer by Leslie Gentile
The (Other) F Word: A Celebration of the Fat and Fierce by Angie Manfredi 
Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger
Bear Wants to Sing
 by Cary Fagan
The Great Glorious Goddamn of It All by Josh Ritter

UP NEXT

Freedom Is A Constant Struggle Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of A Movement by Angela Y. Davis
Mister Impossible by Maggie Stiefvater

BLOG POSTS PLANNED FOR NEXT WEEK

Bear Wants to Sing by Cary Fagan
The Great Bear by David A. Robertson

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 22/25
 

#MustReadNFIn2021 8/12

#MustReadPBIn2021 49/100 

Big Book Summer Challenge 9 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 28/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 81/100

Canada Reads 2021 4/5 

Discworld Series 41/41

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 308 /333 

10 comments:

  1. I have some of the books already on my list, Cheriee, but added "My Name Is Seepeetza" especially. I've wanted to read Maybe, Maybe Marisol Rainey for a while but it gets bumped by other new ones. I enjoyed your reviews of the graphic novels & need to catch up with those, too. Yikes, so many books! Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find a copy of My Name Is Seepeetza. Given the news about unmarked graves in our country and yours, this is an important book about life in residential schools.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Pawcasso yet, but sounds like one to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to read Pawcasso. It looks like a book my students will love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine lots of kids will love Pawcasso. It's fun, but it's also rich with concepts to spend some time with.

      Delete
  4. Lots of great books this week! I really enjoyed The Okay Witch and I'm excited to check out the sequel. my daughter loved Best Friends and she just entered middle school this year, so I will have to grab Friends Forever for her to check out. Thanks for sharing and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daughter enjoys Friends Forever and finds it as important as I do.

      Delete
  5. I hear great things about the Marla Frazee books, but yes, I heard that The Farmer and the Monkey was problematic—but people love the books so much I may have to try them and just recognize that issue. Chef Yasmina and the Potato Panic does have very interesting art—how neat! And Friends Forever sounded great when I read your review of it. I bought a copy of The Okay Witch, and I'm excited to read it! And I understand your thoughts about Jackpot—I am not much for YA romance myself, except (I've noticed) when it's a graphic novel or when the romance is more of a side thing to some kind of character development or something. Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly! I can handle romance when it's a side plot. I hate reading teenage romance angst.

      Delete