#IMWAYR July 19, 2021

Hello everyone. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

I'm trying hard to get on top of my picture book reading these days. I should be more than half way through my #MustReadPBIn2021 reading goal but I'm not. It's not a hardship to read these book, in fact it's mostly pure joy. I intend to do better. 

I'm also continue trying to get my garden under control. I fear is a losing battle, but one I'm not prepared to concede quite yet. We have been enjoying feasting on all the fruits of our labour. Nothing tastes as good as a bacon and tomato sandwich made with home made bacon, bread, and freshly picked tomatoes. It tastes delicious even without the bacon. 

We got our second jab last week. I am happy to report that other than a sore arm neither my partner or I experienced any side effects. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

RECENT BLOG POSTS


PICTURE BOOKS

 
4 stars

And Then It's Spring
by Julie Fogliano & Erin E. Stead (Illustrator) January 1, 2012

A young boy and his dog plant seeds at the end of winter and wait for them to finally grow. I love the vintage feel of Stead's illustrations.

3.5 stars

Little Wolf
by Teoni Spathelfer & Natassia Davies (Illustrator) May 19 2021 🍁

This tells of a young Indigenous girl growing up in a city while holding fast to her roots and culture. She spends summers on her grandfather’s fishing boat. She looks for animals wherever she is. The highlight of her younger years is getting a dog. While she endures some racism, she stays strong. The library becomes her favourite place. She spends hours there reading about other cultures and the leadership of MLK.
This doesn’t have a plot or story arc. It just highlights the ordinary life of this young urban Indigenous girl.
Natassia Davis’ art is glorious.

5 stars

Because
 by Mo Willems & Amber Ren (Illustrator) March 5, 2019

Because this book is a celebration of music and happenstance. Because this book gave me shivers while I read it. Because I’m encouraging everyone to pick it up and give it a chance. 

4 stars

Julián at the Wedding
 by Jessica Love October 6, 2020

I absolutely adore the art work in this picture book. I love that it celebrates love itself. I appreciate that it captures the acceptance and joy of childhood. 

5 stars

Almost Time
 by Gary D. Schmidt, Elizabeth Stickney & G. Brian Karas (Illustrator) January 14, 2020

When there is no more maple syrup for his pancakes, a young boy knows that sugaring off time will be soon. When his tooth becomes loose, his father says it will come out when it’s time to collect maple syrup. I loved the hints of how the season is progressing. It’s there in the increasing amount of daylight and in the gradual warming of the air. In spite of this, from the boy’s perspective, it still seams take ages and ages.
“But the days were still cold. And the nights were still long.”

4 stars

I Promise
 by Catherine Hernandez & Syrus Marcus Ware (Illustrations) October 15, 2019 🍁

This book made me happy. A young girl asks her mother where her different friends come from. Her mother responds that each one comes from a promise. Sometimes it’s a promise that every child deserves a safe home. Sometimes it’s a promise to share and take turns because different people are good at different kinds of things.
While this book might be a celebration of queer families, these promises resonate for all of us.

NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS

5 stars

Terry Fox and Me
by Mary Beth Leatherdale & Milan Pavlović (Illustrator) August 4, 2020 🍁

People outside of Canada hardly know of Terry Fox. In Canada he has more than once been voted our number one hero.
He was always an athlete. When he was at university, bone cancer was discovered in his leg. 80% was amputated. A year or so later, using a prosthetic leg, he set off on the Marathon Of Hope. He planned to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. This narrative, told from the perspective of his best friend, Doug Alvarado, gives us additional insight into the kind of person Terry was. Doug helped him train for the daily marathon and was with him everyday until Terry was forced to stop. His cancer had returned.
Each year people take up Terry’s challenge and participate in the annual Marathon of Hope. To date $800 million dollars have been raised. In 2020 three million students participated in the run.

5 stars

She Caught the Light: Williamina Stevens Fleming: Astronomer
 by Kathryn Lasky & Julianna Swaney (Illustrations) January 1, 2021

Williamina (Mina) Flemming was a bright child who ended up having to leave school and go to work when her father died.
When her husband disappeared, Mina, then pregnant, found a job working as a maid for the Director of the Harvard college observatory, Professor Pickering, and his wife Elizabeth. Both of them recognized her intelligence and eventually Mrs. Pickering urged her husband to hire Mina. Because she was a woman, Mina wasn’t allowed to look through a telescope. What she saw were the glass plates that recorded what men saw through them. She was one of a team of women known as the "human computers."
Eventually William Mina Patton Stevens Fleming was the first woman to be appointed to a titled position at Harvard University: the curator of astronomical photographs. In her lifetime she classified the spectra of over 10,000 stars and created the classification system that helped map the universe.
Julianna Swaney used watercolor, gouache, colour pencil and Photoshop to create these illustrations.
The back matter contains a timeline, a glossary, a biography, and author's note, and a bibliography. 
Many thanks to Jeanne Walker at True Tales & A Cherry On Top for introducing me to this book.

NON FICTION GRAPHIC

5 stars

Fred & Marjorie: A Doctor, a Dog, and the Discovery of Insulin
 by Deborah Kerbel & Angela Yoon (Illustrations) 🍁

They didn't wear capes, but Banting and Best were superheroes. The two scientists worked with stray dogs to find a cure for diabetes. This exciting graphic novel shows how insulin was discovered and created.
We need more inspirational stories like this one.
These scientists sold their rights for the treatment for $1 each. None of them were rich. In fact, Banting barely made ends meet until he was finally given a salary.
Today, disaster capitalists manufacture and sell insulin at prices so high that individuals with the disease die because they can't afford their medication.
You can read my full blog post here.


Sila’s mother, Oya, had to return to Turkey to get some documents signed to sort out her immigration status. Almost a year later, she is still there. Sila and her father’s despair are almost overwhelming.
One day Sila’s father takes her with him to do some repairs on an old truck. The two of them make friends with Gino, its owner. He lives on a wild expanse of land surrounded by an eight foot high stone wall that he purchased with lottery winnings. One day they meet at a donut shop to celebrate Gino’s birthday. A disbanding circus group arrives and before the day is done, Gino has purchased himself an elephant named Veda and a very cranky bear. He soon finds a suitable place for the bear, but sets out on a steep learning curve for how to look after an elephant.
At school Silas has been paired up in a special project with Mateo, an autistic boy. Eventually the two of them become friends. That summer they work together at Gino’s helping out with Veda. Mateo’s mother is a lawyer and when she finds out what has happened to Oya, works with another lawyer in the firm pro bono to bring her home.
This book is beautifully written. Goldberg Sloan writes authentic, emotionally engaging characters readers can’t help but care about. The multiple storylines come together in a fairytale ending. I loved it.
I wondered about this not being an own voices novel. On the book jacket it says that Holly Goldberg Sloan spent part of her childhood growing up in Istanbul. It feels authentic to me, but I wonder what a Turkish reader would think.

5 stars

Fugitive Telemetry
by Martha Wells April 27, 2021

I am of the opinion that if you haven't read any Murderbot Diaries, then you are living a deprived life. Murderbot just might be my favourite fictional character. They are definitely my favourite sci fi character. In this story Murderbot works with the security team on Preservation Station to solve a murder.
This one might not have had quite as much humour as some of the others, but it was pure joy to be reading about this character again. I've also got the audiobook on reserve and am looking forward to listening to it. Kevin R. Free has nailed this character in the other books. 

NON FICTION


I listened to this, but plan to read the print version. Sometimes I sink into despair when I think about the lack of progress being made towards dealing with the climate crisis. Seth Klein managed to fill me with hope. He outlines a plan for how a New Green Deal can be implemented. He bases it on the strategies implemented during the second world war, with the proviso that we leave out the racist aspects of those times. I might end up purchasing copies for everyone I know. 

4 stars

Fred Korematsu Speaks up
by Laura Atkins, Stan Yogi & Yutaka Houlette (Illustrator) January 30, 2017

The unfair story of Japanese internment here in Canada and in the United States isn’t new to me. However, Fred Korematsu’s story is. Fred grew up wanting to be like any other American teen. When Pearl Harbour was bombed and Japanese Americans were forced to leave their homes on the west coast, he pretended to be someone from Hawaii. He got caught and thrown in jail. A lawyer from the ACLU took in his case for free. They took his case to the Supreme Court where they lost. Forty years later another lawyer approached Fred. New evidence showed that government had lied in the evidence presented to the original judges. Fred was exonerated. Until his death, he continued to fight for fair treatment of all people who were imprisoned because of what they looked like.
I like the formate of this book. Part of the story is told in poetry. There are plenty of more traditional nonfiction text features including photographs, text boxes, and plain text. Cartoons and other artwork capture the personal experiences of other internees.
I like that at the same time as the book highlights Fred’s experiences, it articulated the important role of allies when prejudice and injustice take place.

CURRENTLY 

If I Tell You The Truth by Jasmin Kaur
Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future by Elizabeth Kolbert & Rebecca Lowman (Narrator)
Ways to Grow Love by Renée Watson, 

UP NEXT

The Disability Experience: Working Toward Belonging by Hannalora Leavitt
I'll continue to work at getting the picture book pile under control.

BLOG POSTS PLANNED FOR NEXT WEEK

A Kid Is a Kid Is a Kid by Sara O'Leary

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 20/25
 

#MustReadNFIn2021 8/12

#MustReadPBIn2021 45/100 

Big Book Summer Challenge 4 one in progress

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 24/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 76/100 - one in progress

Canada Reads 2021 4/5 

Discworld Series 41/41

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 265 /333 

15 comments:

  1. I don't know Terry Fox, but the book sounds like one I should check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should absolutely learn more about Terry Fox!

      Delete
  2. So many great books and many I them weren't on my radar. I will definitely need to check out the Terry Fox book as I had never heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs to know more about Terry Fox. This is just the most recent book about him.

      Delete
  3. Because gave me chills and made me cry. Because music has a palpable impact on my body and mind. Because it is a special story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I had my comment all ready to post, and then I accidentally hit Reply on someone else's comment and erased the whole thing. Aargh! Because sounds great—unfortunately, my library doesn't have it on Libby, but I'll keep it in mind when I buy more picture books. Terry Fox and Me sounds great as well—I'm unfamiliar with Fox too! Fred & Marjorie sounds fascinating, and I love the graphic novel format! And Fred Korematsu Speaks Up sounds like a valuable, informative story as well. Congrats on your second vaccine dose, and good luck with your garden and your PB reading! Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that more than once! I'm sure I lose some of my best comments like that. Hope you manage to find a copy of Because. Terry fox was an amazing, inspirational young man. The world needs more people like him.

      Delete
  5. I will be the person here that says they know lots about Terry Fox but still NEED this book. I get asked for Terry Fox books all the time in the library and read parts of the Douglas Coupland coffee table (for lack of a better phrase) book with my students. I will be adding this one. I like that it is written with the perspective of his friend.
    I also really loved Because, I bought it for all the student teachers I knew of the year that it came out. Great stuff.
    I haven't read this Murderbot book yet, but will likely do so this summer. I have only read the first four novellas but I have the novel ready to go soon.
    Thanks for sharing so many great books, there are a few others that look good here as well. Hope you are doing well with the fires and smoke. Good to hear you are now fully vaccinated. I think it was my two week jabiversary today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I respond to your comment we have a new fire on the east side of the valley and the on the west side we can't see the sun because of the smoke coming up from the Washington fires south of Keremeos. I'm sure I had at least 12 of Maxine Trottier's books about Terry in the Library and a bunch more as well.

      Delete
  6. Lots of good books, and I'm always happy to see another Murderbot fan. I read it, and then I went back and re-listened to all the books in internal order, since Telemetry happens before Network Effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about Network Effect. I have contemplated starting listening all over again. This might just push me into doing it.

      Delete
  7. I did not realize that Fred and Marjorie is a GN. It sounds like a really important read. And the Terry Fox story sounds like one I need to find. Amazing athletes always get to me! Hope you've had a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fred and Marjorie is new to me and seems like a great book to feature as Bella's dog pick of the week! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the first Sloan book I read, but I haven't read others. This one sounds wonderful!
    I also loved Because--it is beautiful!
    And I didn'tknow Fred and Marjorie was a graphic novel either! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete