A Kid is a Kid is a Kid by Sara O'Leary & Qin Leng (Illustrations)


Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. It will be released August 3, 2021 by Groundwood Books

A Kid Is a Kid Is a Kid is a follow up to A Family is a Family is a Family. Like it, it showcases a diverse group of characters. Qin Leng's detailed, soft artwork is the optimal compliment for Sara O'Leary's important words. Together they share messages that help make a better world. 

This book is about the different kinds of questions we get asked. The response are powerful.

It starts our with a new student going to school. 


They say, "I can think of better things to ask if I'm a boy or a girl?" "What a question!"

The creators show how questions can be micro aggressions. They can be more about putting someone down, or putting them into a box rather than getting to know them. In contrast, the responses say, "Look at me, this is who I am."


Readers are presented with options for how to respond when we see someone being asked one of those kinds of questions.


I really appreciate how eventually this gets turned around and teaches readers alternatives. Children suggest the kinds of questions to ask instead.

Ask me my dog's name. Ask me if you can try my lunch.


Ultimately this is a book about looking beyond the surface of what we see to find out who each of us really are. It's about being comfortable in our own uniqueness and celebrating others.

Adults can learn a lot from this book.

2 comments:

  1. Wow —this sounds like such a powerful book! It seems like something both kids and adults could get an enormous amount out of, and I love the illustration style as well. Thanks so much for the thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheriee, thank you for sharing your love for children's literature through your blog! I am an elementary teacher in Tofino, BC and aspiring teacher librarian. I really love your in-depth reviews of selected books. It can be overwhelming trying to decide what new story books to purchase and create lessons around but your blog helps to highlight some great ones, including A Kid is a Kid is a Kid. Thank you for continuing to inspire throughout your retirement! Kindly, Heather

    ReplyDelete