#IMWAYR April 26, 2021

  Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

In March I started doing morning pages and in April that turned into poetry writing. Poetry is much harder to write. Some days I'm lucky to get one or two lines that I can live with. 

Other than that, I've been outside working in the garden. So far we have beans, peas, lettuce, shallots, onions, beets, carrots and potatoes planted. The weather turned a bit chilly last week so all we did was get the rest of it ready for when it's warm enough to put the rest of the seedlings in. 

My partner and I are excited to be getting our first jab today. 

I've posted the #MustReadIn2021 update link! You've got a couple of weeks to post your optional update if you are participating. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

BLOG POSTS FROM LAST WEEK



PICTURE BOOKS

 
I can't decide if this should be fiction or nonfiction. On the one hand it teaches musical terminology, and on the other, it involves an orchestra of wild animals. The important thing about it is that it's brilliant! If you want a peek at more of the illustrations check out my full review here


A storm capsizes a boat. It seems like the only survivor is a duck egg that hatched inside an open violin case. When the duckling spies a floating violin he swims towards it and imprints. What follows is a series of magical, musical events.
The art in this one is bloody gorgeous! It’s so brilliant that after being immersed in the imagery of the storm, it was hard to return to the story and accept that anything or any living being could survive.

If possible I love this even more than Jabari Jumps. Everything I loved about it is here in this one, plus more. Not only does Jabari have a thoughtful supportive father, he's got a younger sister who wants to be part of whatever it is that Jabari does. In his persistent attempts to build a flying machine, Jabari learns that help and inspiration is there if you look and listen.

5 stars

The Old Truck
 by Jarrett Pumphrey January 7, 2020

This is one of those picture books to read more than once. It's a story of change and rejuvenation. It begins with a family of farmers and their truck. We see the members of the family age and grow up over time until eventually the truck wears out and is abandoned. Then a new farmer (maybe the original farmer's daughter) comes into the picture. She gets the old tractor running and then goes to work on the truck. Soon the farm and the old truck are back at work. 
I'm thankful to Linda Bai for telling me about this book. 

4 stars

Owls Are Good at Keeping Secrets: An Unusual Alphabet
by Sara O'Leary & Jacob Grant (Illustrator) December 4, 2018  🍁

The animals in this book are presented in alphabetical order. Each page tells something about that critter. Did you know that, "Alligators think you'd like them if you got to know them?" I was happy to read that "jellyfish don't care if you think they look funny when they dance."
Jacob Grant's illustrations show each creature delightfully. But what I most like about this book is how much I can connect to each of these animal's secrets. I think younger folks will too.

This chapter book tells the story of two young Syilx girls growing up in the Okanogan Valley before contact with white people.
It cycles through the seasons of one year. We learn how the people gather different kinds of food and prepare it so it will be there for the winter when they need it. Integrated into the story is a relationship of respect for one another and the environment.

NOVELS


David Levithan looks at What might have happens after the children returned from the land of' Narnia.
Lucas' brother Aiden disappeared for six days. Then he suddenly reappeared in the family's attic. He claims to have been in the land of Aveinieu. Lucas believes him because Aiden returned with a blue, diamond shaped leaf in his hair. He's the only one.
4 stars

The Midnight Library
by Matt Haig August 13, 2020

This was a lovely book to listen to. Carey Mulligan's narration was brilliant.

Nora Seed attempts to kill herself, but ends up in 'The Midnight Library" where she gets to experience what her life might have been like had she made other choices. Somewhere in the middle of it I figured out how it was going to end, but that didn't stop me from wanting to find out how it would get there.

ADULT NON FICTION


This is a sad book to finish on Earth Day. Here are a couple of quotes that tell you what the book is about. 
“Right now we are in the midst of the Sixth Extinction, this time caused solely by humanity’s transformation of the ecological landscape.”
“in pushing other species to extinction, humanity is busy sawing off the limb on which it perches.” Paul Ehrlich
It's been seven years since this was first published. I hate to think how much more devastation our species has wrought since then. 

DISCWORLD NOVELS


Commander Sam Vimes and his family are on vacation in the country at Lady Sybil's ancestral lands. He doesn't get much rest. There is a murder to solve, corrupt politicians to deal with, and the matter of the oppression of the goblins to resolve. While Pratchett's humour is here in this one, it's less pointed than it is in other novels. Perhaps that is just me knowing that this is the last Sam Vimes novel.

CURRENTLY 

This is what I have on the go:

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (I actually finished it and started it all over again) 
Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice by Mahogany L. Browne, Elizabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood & Theodore Taylor III (Illustrations)
Apple: Skin to the Core by Eric Gansworth
Tremendous Things by Susin Nielsen 

UP NEXT

A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
The Electric War: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse and the Race to Light the World by Mike Winchell
The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel 

BLOG POSTS NEXT WEEK

Scaredy Squirrel In a Nutshell by Melanie Watt
1, 2, 3, Off to School! by Marianne Dubuc
Tremendous Things by Susin Nielsen

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 8/25 one in progress

#MustReadNFIn2021 4/12 

#MustReadPBIn2021 26/100 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 15/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 36/100

Canada Reads 2021 4/5 

Discworld Series 39/41 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 156/333

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, Cheriee, so many books that I must put on my ever-growing list & they all sound beautiful. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Old Truck. I did love it & the next one by them, too! I liked Jabari Tries & how sweet it became with the little sister. I've noted the first two picture books plus Neekna and Chemai. I have The Midnight Library, hope to get to it soon. I know about The Sixth Extinction, wishing I had time, will certainly keep it on the list! Thanks & have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put a request in for The Old Boat. It's hard to accept that there just isn't enough time to read all the books I would like to, no matter how hard I try.

      Delete
  2. I could not stop listening to The Midnight Library. I was going to hold off and read it during the summer until a friend sold me on the audiobook. The week I started it I went for lots more walks and car rides just so I had more opportunities to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it was for me too! Carey Mulligan was Nora Seed!

      Delete
  3. What a great set of books! ROAR-chestra sounds really fun, and The Unexpected Love Story of Alfred Fiddleduckling sounds like a delight as well! I'm also intrigued by Jabari Tries. The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. sounds like a great novel—I had no idea it ties in to Narnia! Thanks so much for the great post, and good luck with your vaccine and poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on vaccine #1! I'm behind in planting. Started peppers last weekend. Will start cucumbers and zucchini this weekend. We have just a small plot, but it's nice to have homegrown food!
    I thought Aidan S was really good. I loved the accessible length and the quick read was a page turner.

    ReplyDelete