#IMWAYR April 19th, 2021

 Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


I'll be posting the #MustReadIn2021 update link this week so stay tuned!

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

BLOG POSTS FROM LAST WEEK

Alice Fleck's Recipes for Disaster by by Rachelle Delaney

PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars

Ten Little Dumplings
by Larissa Fan & Cindy Wume (Illustrations) Jan 05, 2021  🍁

Larissa Fan's father was one of ten boys. This is a fictionalized account of them growing up in Taiwan. If one boy was considered lucky, then imagine how lucky the family was to have ten of them! If you look closely you will see that there is one other child in the family.
I like that this story begins as a narrative about the boys, and then turns into a story about that other child. I like that it is based on real people.



5 stars

Mel Fell
by Corey R. Tabor Feb 2, 2021

Mel is a brave little kingfisher who is determined that today is the day she will fly. She might even catch her first fish.


Since I retired I've lost track of Messner's Over and Under series. I'm glad to read this one. It makes me want to visit Costa Rica (except for the spiders, snakes and crocodiles.) I love the illustrations and the additional information in the back matter. For readers who live near Vancouver Canada, you can visit the different levels of a northern temperate rainforest and walk across similar hanging bridges at Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.

NOVELS


If you are looking for books that deal with fat shaming, add this and My Body In Pieces to your library.
Ellie has always been a large sized kid. She learned at an early age to hate her body. The shame and bullying she experienced from her mother, her siblings, kids at school, and doctors was internalized. Her mother has had her on diets since before she started school.
Thankfully Ellie has two people on her side. When a new family moves in next door, Ellie becomes friends with Catalina, their daughter. Catalina's whole family accepts Ellie just as she is. Ellie's father is also supportive.
When her mother wants her to undergo bariatric surgery, her father intervenes. Arrangements are made for Ellie to see a therapist instead of a surgeon. The therapist helps Ellie start to love and accept herself. Then she helps her confront her mother.

I know this is a children's novel, but it's probably as important that parents and other adults read it. The obscenity of diet culture and fat shaming of others and ourselves has to stop.


Harmony and Robert are two grade eight students in hard situations. Although it's never acknowledged, It seems like Robert's single parent father is bipolar. Harmony's mom is an addict and alcoholic. They meet when Robert is asked to look after Harmony, a new student, and show her around the school. After an inauspicious first day the two become best friends. Harmony is in a good foster placement situation, while Robert, who lives with his father, is essentially on his own. In the end they save each other.
I adored these characters and you will too. I love the humour, the angst, and the honesty of this book.
I didn't know til reading the author's note at the end that this is based on Eric Walters' life. Harmony is also a real person. The two of them have remained friends to this day.
 
3.5 stars

The Midnight Bargain
by C.L. Polk & Moira Quirk (Narrator) Oct 13, 2020  🍁

I'm not sure I would have picked this up if it wasn't a Canada Reads (CR) contender this year. It's a feminist, romantic, historical, fantasy set in an alternative regency England.
I almost abandoned this in the early part of it, but persevered because getting to CR is high praise. I ended up finishing it because I became so invested in the characters.
Beatrice Clayborn's family is on the edge of penury. If she doesn't find a suitable match in her 'bargaining' season, the family will be ruined. Beatrice has no desire to be wed because it means she will have to give up her goals for magic. Even when the man of dreams, Ianthe, wants to marry her, she refuses.
I like the magical parts of this book. I especially liked Nadi, Beatrice's spirit. It was a bit hokey in places, but overall a fun read.
The narration was delightful. Moira Quirk is also the narrator of Gail Carriger's series: Finishing School, and Custard Protocol. If you liked those you will like this. 

Alice and her father end up on a cutthroat cooking show set against the backdrop of a Victorian Fair. The week away from home provides all kinds of opportunities for Alice to become a different person. All it takes is a little courage, determination, and willingness to look deep within herself. 
Warning! At the end of this book you might want to dig out your stand mixer and start to cook. You can read my full review here


This is a sequel to Going Postal. I liked getting to spend time with Moist von Lipwig and his girlfriend Adora Belle Dearheart and her Golem Trust. This time Moist ends up as acting Chairman of a bank, the actual one being the previous Chairman's dog. The bank's corrupt family goes out of it's way to get rid of him. Moist ends up confessing his criminal past to everyone.

I was delighted to see more of Patrician Havelock Vetinari in this one too. I can see why people reread the Discworld, since the more I read, the more I see how convoluted it all is.

CURRENTLY 

This is what I have on the go:

The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice by Mahogany L. Browne, Elizabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood & Theodore Taylor III (Illustrations)
Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Apple: Skin to the Core by Eric Gansworth
I've read ROAR-chestra! by Robert Heidbreder couple of times and will have a blog post about it next week. 

UP NEXT

A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
Tremendous Things by Susin Nielsen
The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. (as Told to His Brother) by David Levithan

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 8/25 one in progress

#MustReadNFIn2021 3/12 one in progress

#MustReadPBIn2021 22/100 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 14/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 36/100

Canada Reads 2021 4/5 

Discworld Series 39/41 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 144/333

16 comments:

  1. My family (crossing fingers) is planning to return to Costa Rica this year so I need to read Messner's latest over and under book. I liked the others a lot! And you know I loved Starfish, now need to read Baron's All of me, too. I noted The King of Jam Sandwiches, Cheriee, sounds really good! Thanks & have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your return to Costa Rica. Messner's book will be a wonderful way to build background knowledge. I have All of Me on my list, but haven't gotten to it either.

      Delete
  2. I have heard so many great things about Starfish and it is on my kindle so I really don't know whey I keep putting of reading it. I'm going to make it a point to read it this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I end up reading the library books first because they have to be returned, but of course, then there are more library books....

      Delete
  3. Lots of great reads here! I'm especially intrigued by Midnight Bargain, because I love the Regency period. Mel Fell and Ten Little Dumplings sound very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love the Regency period then I am sure you will enjoy this. Have you read any of Gail Carriger's Regency fantasy?

      Delete
  4. I love Walters so much that I bought The King of Jam Sandwiches without reading it. I'm glad I did. It's been popular with my students who like Watt Key's Fourmile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge fan of Eric Walters too. I've never read anything of his that I didn't love. I also appreciate how much he does for authors and the publishing industry here in Canada.

      Delete
  5. What a great set of books! Alice Fleck's Recipes for Disaster sounds like a really fun story with a fulfilling ending, and I just got a copy of Starfish that I'm looking forward to reading! Thanks so much for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice is a wonderful literary character. I kind of hope that we will get to see more of her!

      Delete
  6. I definitely added Starfish and King of Jam Sandwiches to my TBR. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those are good reads. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Alice Fleck is a new title for me and intrigues me. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice Fleck is on my list to find. It sounds fun. Mel Fell is in my pile - my picture book pile has grown to quite a stack. I'll get to it eventually, I keep hearing really good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored the simplicity of Mel Fell! I had to create a #mustread picture book list this year or just weed them all from my goodreads list.

      Delete