#Poetry Friday April 3, 2020

Today's edition of Poetry Friday is hosted by Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe. Heidi is sharing poems inspired by poets.org #ShelterInPoems project. Enjoy her poetry and don't forget to check out all the other bloggers posting today.

Hello Poetry Friday friends. I have missed you. 

Like a lot of you, I'm overwhelmed with other things in life. For the last few years I have participated in the April Poem a Day Challenge. This year, what with moving, house renovations, shelter in place orders, and social distancing, I don't need any more challenges. I've also got three quilting projects on the go.

I'm going to try to write at least one poem a week but...

My poem this week is not inspired by other poetry, although poetry and other art forms have brought me solace in these interesting times. Instead I am inspired by the art of our friend, Ron Peace, a gifted photographer and artist. He shares his work with friends and followers on facebook. Ron's photographs are a regular highlight of my day. Please take a moment to check out his website. Prepare to be dazzled.

Wednesday's image almost broke me.

While we are not yet stir crazy here in our isolation, I had no idea how much I wanted to break free until I saw this. Ron has graciously granted me permission to share his image with the poem it inspired.



imagine

someday
we too might fly

might take off
into sky

might rise high
into glorious light

imagine
flight

lift off
a gift of
respite

23 comments:

  1. "lift off / a gift of respite" - yes, Cheriee! Ron's photo and your words are the perfect pairing. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed both of them. I hope you find time to check out Ron's website. It's full of beauty to give us a bit of respite from our constrained lives these days.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jama - Ron's art is always full of light and beauty. If we can't go and see it for ourselves, then this will have to do.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photograph and poem! Thanks for sharing both with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I hope you managed to visit Ron's website to enjoy more beauty!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful picture and lovely poem. I especially love "a gift of respite."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, scattered! We just got an order from our governor that everyone must wear a mask when going out. So instead of reading more PF posts, I've been learning how to make them & gathering what I need. I do sew, have a machine, but really haven't made much recently except with the girls. As for your poem. It is fabulous, Cheriee. I love that repeated rhyme, works to help up FLY! As a child I was told that every time I saw a heron it would be good luck, so your picture is a highlight of my day, the day at home, not going over to see if I can find a heron at a nearby lake, at least not yet. Instead, here is your friend's photo, a gorgeous piece of luck that I'm taking! Thanks & best of wishes to you in all your crazy stuff going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've downloaded a pattern, found some blue shop towels to use as inserts, and will be making a whole mess of them starting Monday. I've already got orders.

      Delete
  6. I like where your imagination took us, Cherie. And now that I've reclaimed my equilibrium, I'm thinking a poem a week will be good for me, too. But no pressure. Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contemplated one line a day - but expectations of any kind are overwhelming these days.

      Delete
  7. That is a gorgeous photo! And your poem is perfect to go with it. I look forward to when we can take off and soar again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron is bloody brilliant! He also has a delightful warped and twisted sense of humour - I recommend you follow him on facebook!

      Delete
  8. Wow! Not at all surprising you were inspired by that photograph, Cheriee. Your poem pairs with it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous picture and perfect poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words Mary Lee. Ron's work regularly inspires me - I think I need to use his work more!

      Delete
  10. I've been doing a lot of pandemic birding and I've noticed a general increase in interest in birds. I guess being grounded does that to us. Beautiful poem and photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is exactly it Ruth. I have to admit that envy has a dark edge to it. Thanks for your kind words about my poem.

      Delete
  11. A beautiful moment of respite Cheriee. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about not needing another challenge, Cheriee. I think we're all feeling that way. Your poem and the Ron's photograph make a lovely combination. Thank you for sharing it! Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We'd all like to fly away from it all, if only for a moment--but your poem and Ron's photo make it seem both easy and wistfully impossible. Love it.

    ReplyDelete