#IMWAYR March 30, 2020

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.



Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing well and keeping safe. Today I'm sharing two weeks of reading. Somehow I lost track of time last week. I wish I could say it was because I was reading great literature, but really, it was just worry and reading news articles after news article about this pandemic. I am relieved that here in BC where I live there is hope that we might be finally flattening the curve, but I'm worried about all my American friends and acquaintances.

My stress level is heightened by having to move at the end of April and wondering how to make that happen. The universe might be unfolding as it should, but I wish it was a little kinder.

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS

5 stars
A Little House in a Big Place by Alison Acheson & Valeriane Leblond (Illustrator) 🍁

I haven't lived on the prairies, but have visited often enough to appreciate how much this book captures a sense of place. A young girl's main interaction with the world outside her home is watching trains cross the landscape. The bit about watching the train arrive as a dot on the horizon and following it until it disappears again, is gorgeous. Her relationship with the engineer feels authentic. I especially appreciated that when she grows up and leaves home, she heads off on a train.

3 stars
The Moon Watched It All by Shelley Leedahl & Aino Anto (Illustrations) 🍁

This is beautifully written and beautifully illustrated. It's a poignant story of two misfits finding each other. My problem with it is that there is too much text on the pages.

CHAPTER BOOKS

5 stars
Anne Chapter Book Series

These illustrated readers pay homage to the famous Anne of Green Gables. Kallie George's love of the original books is obvious in this series. I am impressed by how rich these are and how authentically they capture the essence of Anne Shirley and her escapades. Abigail Halpin's art is gorgeous. I adore these adaptations and can hardly wait for the next one.

Anne Arrives: Inspired by Anne of Green Gables by Kallie George & Abigail Halpin (Illustrator)  🍁

Thanks to Kallie George, I have fallen in love with Anne and the rest of the characters all over again.

Anne's Kindred Spirits: Inspired by Anne of Green Gables ( #2) by Kallie George & Abigail Halpin (Illustrations)  🍁

This instalment deals with Anne befriending Diana and Marilla's missing broach.

4 stars
Scallywag on the Salish Sea by Sara Cassidy & Mike Deas (Illustrations) 🍁

This charming chapter book is full of rollicking fun. A young lad ends up as kitchen boy on a pirate ship. While cleaning fish he discovers all kinds of jewels and deduces that where this pollock was caught, there must be a treasure. Not only does this book have a multitude of fascinating characters, it's got plenty of action and hilarity before our lad discovers a bit about his past and manages to purchase his freedom. A sequel in the works will entertain us with his further adventures.

5 stars
Just a Kid by Rie Charles 🍁

I really like this. Meerin Hoy is just an ordinary kid who discovers that the city is planning to turn the vacant farmland across from her home into a housing development. She is determined to stop it. Among other things, she starts a petition and writes a letter to the editor to get the the city council and the mayor, who hardly acknowledges her, to change their minds.
This satisfying story about a strong little girl is sure to inspire readers with courage and determination to make necessary changes in their own communities.
It's not easy to get beginning chapter books this appealing, but Rie Charles manages it!

GRAPHIC NOVELS

4 stars
Shadow Island by Nancy Deas, Mike Deas 🍁

This book is targeted for readers from grade two to grade four. They are going to love it. It's got four kids breaking rules and discovering that strange monster like creatures exist. The children are sure that their PE teacher has nefarious designs on these animals so they rescue them and escape to a nearby island where they hope the creatures will be safe. They are wrong on so many levels.
The west coast rain forest setting is wonderfully illustrated. I liked the way the children are portrayed as a diverse collection of friends. We only get hints at all of their characters, but I'm sure they will become richer as the series progresses. The book is full of action and excitement. My only complaint is in how Ms Grundle, the PE teacher is drawn. Her features were just too wicked witch for me and distracted from the rest of the story.

NOVELS

5 stars
On the Come Up by Angie Thomas

In case you haven't noticed, Angie Thomas sure can write. I was worried sick about what kind of messes Brianna “Bri” Jackson was getting into. There were numerous times when I wanted to shake her and shout, "Girl, what are you doing?" (Yes, I was invested in her.)  What she's doing is trying to help her family get out of poverty. I appreciated how much I learned about rap, and getting stuck in a hole that you can't get out of. 

5 stars
False Value (Rivers of London #8) by Ben Aaronovitch & Kobna Holdbrook-Smith (Narrator)

I was a bit confused in the beginning of this and kept wondering if I was listening to the same part again. (I probably was) Soon I was all sorted out and loving it. I adored the references to Ada Lovelace, Charles Babbage and his thinking machines, and how it all ended up being connected to the development of artificial intelligence. Peter Grant is right on his game in this one - dealing with upcoming fatherhood, a nefarious tech company, and all kinds of subterfuge in his new role.
There is a delightful and fascinating interview with both of these contributors at the end of this audiobook. I love this so much that I have taken to listening to it again late at night when I can't sleep. 

3.5 stars
Swing by Kwame Alexander & Mary Rand Hess

It was pure joy to listen to this as an audiobook. I loved the characters. The friendship between Noah, Swing and Sam is realistic. I adored all the jazz references!
I'm not the target audience so it's not a big deal that the love angst stuff just irritated me.
The ending, well that ending had me in tears.

4 stars
Nevers by Sara Cassidy 🍁

I wasn't sure about this book at first. I read the prologue and first bit to a group of grade 5/6's. Only one of the eight wanted me to continue. After I read a bit more by myself, I couldn't put it down.
The story is set in post revolutionary France. Fourteen year old Odette looks after her helpless mother, Annaline, who seems to be a curse for her husbands. All five or six of them have died in bizarre accidents. After fleeing from a recent disaster they end up in the town of Nevers where they settle in. Odette works hard to get them established and hopes they have found a place to stay. Soon she has a new friend in Nicoise. Together they try to solve a mystery from the past.
This has such a rich cast of characters - M. Gustave who wants to be a chicken, the aging Mme. Genevieve who wants to be an inventor, and even a donkey who talks latin at night. In spite of how hard Odette works to make a life for her and her mother, this book is full of whimsy and delight. Fans of Kate DiCamillo's The Magician's Elephant will love this. I'm sure if I had continued reading to that aforementioned group of students they would have become as mesmerized as I was.

5 stars
The Mostly True Story of Pudding Tat, Adventuring Cat by Caroline Adderson & Stacy Innerst (Illustrations) 🍁

Pudding Tat, an albino cat, was born on a farm in rural Ontario in 1901. Although he was almost blind, he ended up travelling around the world. He couldn't have done it without Flea in his ear. They have many adventures and meet all kinds of interesting people. Even when the characters are not real, they are composites of people who lived at the time.
Pudding Tat begins his adventuring by going over Niagra Falls with Annie Edson Taylor. He's at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York when President William McKinley is assassinated. Musical geniuses, Gus Edwards and Vincent P. Bryan befriend him.
These are just the beginnings of Pudding Tat and Flea's many experiences. As readers learn about some major historic events, they are entertained by the humour in the duo’s relationship. Flea provides much of the comic relief to Pudding Tat’s straight man.
After reading this, I wished I were still teaching grades 3/4. I would love to do this as a read aloud and then have the students do mini research projects based on the many fascinating events and characters in the book.
I enjoyed the illustrations for each new chapter. My only quibble is that I don’t think the cover does the book credit.

NONFICTION

4 stars

The World Around Us Series is geared towards students aged five to eight. Each book has a similar layout. They begin with a page introducing the topic. After that they are formatted with a question or statement on one page and the response on the next. Each page has a sidebar that extends the answer. I especially appreciated the illustrations in them. Some are photographs and others are art. Diversity of all kinds is represented in them. The back matter contains a note from the author explaining her personal connections to the specific topic. There is also a page of additional resources.
While these are geared for younger readers, they can be used with older readers as well. I think they would make brilliant nonfiction mentor text! 
I would purchase the whole series if I was still in the library.

Under Our Clothes: Our First Talk about Our Bodies by Jillian Roberts & Jane Heinrichs (Illustrations) 🍁

This begins by addressing and confirming our rights to boundaries for our own bodies. It includes advice about what to do if someone ignores these. I like that it acknowledges that different people have different ideas about their own bodies and what they are comfortable with. The latter part addresses body image, body shaming and self esteem. This section emphasizes the differences in our bodies and the impact social mores have on how we feel about ourselves. A small bit introduces the idea of transgendered peoples' need to use gender neutral bathrooms.
I have a few quibbles with this - just because it tends to oversimplify some things, but I still think this is a good introduction for younger readers. It will be also be a good fit with existing abuse prevention programs.

On the Internet: Our First Talk about Online Safety by Jillian Roberts & Jane Heinrichs (Illustrations) 🍁

This book begins with a simple explanation of what the internet is and proceeds into a conversation about boundaries for its use. It discusses online bullying and the problems with retracting what you post. It addresses safety issues with respect to online friendships. Like the other books in the series, it focuses on the importance of telling a trusted adult if something makes you uncomfortable. It also acknowledges that the internet can be used as a learning tool and as a way to do good in the world. The back matter contains a note from the author and a page of additional resources.
The checklist for how to comport oneself while online is one that older students and adults should follow.

On the Playground: Our First Talk about Prejudice by Jillian Roberts & Jane Heinrichs (Illustrations) 🍁

This continues with the same layout and format as in the other books in the series. It acknowledges the different feelings felt by different people when teasing and bullying take place on the playground. It begins by naming this as harassment and connects it to prejudice. Motive for this behaviour is connected to fear of difference that can be passed down from generation to generation. It highlights that we are all equally important no matter how we are different. A Sidebar explains diversity. I appreciate the section that talks about individuals can do to help others. "The key to respect and acceptance is understanding. Take time to learn about the many diverse people in the world around us." To get us started, another sidebar introduces reader to Sophi Kamlish, a Paralympic athlete.

CURRENTLY

I'm listening to The Wicked King by Holly Black. With my eyes I'm reading Finding Cooper by Stacey Matson and Making Friends with Billy Wong by Augusta Scattergood.

UP NEXT

The Atomic Girls by Janet Beard is lined up to be my next audiobook. Other than that, I will continue pulling out books from the boxes and see what happens.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2020: 4/25 1 in progress

#MustReadNFIn2020: 3/12

25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 9/25

100 books by Canadian Authors: 61/100

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 130/333

19 comments:

  1. On the Come Up is one I still have to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand about the stress of these crazy times making it difficult to read. At least the weather is getting nicer and so getting out for fresh air and a bit of exercise helps. Your books look terrific and I'm waiting for the day the library reopens to get started on the list I've been building. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might actually be getting healthier as I now go our for daily walks just to get out of the house for a while. Thank goodness for audiobooks!

      Delete
  3. I loved On The Come Up & will look for Just A Kid, also Nevers & A Big House in A Little Place, Cheriee. Yes, we're all a bit scattered for sure. I'm wishing you the best in the move planning, not an easy time for that I'm sure. Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. We are cursed with living in interesting times!

      Delete
  4. On the Come Up is one I have to find a copy of at some point, as I also really liked The Hate U Give. I shared your Anne of Green Gables books with a superfan I know, and we are going to try to order them in the library next year. I enjoyed all of your offerings this week, especially the early chapter books, as you say those can be hard to find. I share your thoughts on our hopefully flattening curve here in BC. Doesn't make it much easier to see what is happening elsewhere but it does provide some hope. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that we seem to be on the right track here, but my heart aches for people in other parts of the world. That's cool about your sharing these Anne books. They made me want to go and reread the originals.

      Delete
  5. All of these sound great! I actually just finished and loved Angie Thomas's first book, The Hate U Give, so I should definitely try On The Come Up! Nevers sounds quite fun as well, and the World Around Us series sounds like a great way to educate young kids about important topics! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoyed The Hate U Give, then you should definitely read On The Come Up!

      Delete
  6. Oh, On the Come Up is maybe even better than The Hate U Give though that may be sacrilegious to say. It was just SO GOOD! And now Concrete Rose is coming out--I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sacrilegious! On the Come Up is as good as The Hate U Give, but in a different way. I too can hardly wait for Concrete Rose.

      Delete
  7. Scallywag on the Salish Sea looks like a fun read and when I looked it up, it is under 100 pages which is great for kids new to chapter books. Glad to hear there is a sequel in the works. Stay safe and well Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - you too. And yes, that 100 page mark is a big deal!

      Delete
  8. Yes, I could for sure use a kinder universe right now. Just crazy times.
    I loved Anne of Green Gables as a child. I could not get enough of those books!
    Love Angie Thomas. Love her writing. So excited for her news, I have no doubt this next book is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what it is like to be an author who has had two fabulous books published. Do they worry about the reception of their next one? I took a break from reading Andrew Smith after reading Grasshopper Jungle because I knew anything after that would be a let down.

      Delete
  9. So many good books -- I'm glad you had some time to read during these anxious days. At least the conversations around me have moved from "No, see, we need to flatten the curve" to "it looks like we are flattening the curve."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we have moved on to "it looks like we are flattening the curve." Life might return back to normal in six months or more.
      I'm finding that reading picture or chapter books easier than reading adult, although listening while I am on my walks is ok. I just can't handle anything full of any kind of angst or terror - even if it's fictional.

      Delete
  10. I love what you shared about A Little House in a Big Place -- definitely adding this one to my reading list. And I'm sorry to hear about the large amounts of text in The Moon Watched It All. The artwork on the cover looks so beautiful! I definitely enjoyed On the Come Up (even though I couldn't help but compare it to THUG, which I loved). Thanks for these shares, Cheriee, and my apologies for making it around so late from last week... :)

    ReplyDelete