#IMWAYR September 17, 2018


#IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at UnleashingReaders host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


It's been a busy week. Friday we celebrated our son being called to the bar! We went to my brother's birthday party on Saturday and then Sunday we celebrated my husband's 65th birthday. I managed to finish a shirt for his gift. I'm also sewing the binding on a baby quilt.

Next week won't be much better as I will be working on another shirt for my son who has his birthday next Monday I'm working a couple of days at different schools, and my other son is coming over early Tuesday morning to make salsa!


BLOG POSTS LAST WEEK


(I had finished this in advance of our official update and then forgot about it til last week)

BOARD BOOKS

3 stars
Little Critters by Xavier Deneux

The construction of this book has a lot of potential. It has different little creatures protruding from the pages. The name of the animal is usually on the top of the page with additional details in smaller print near the bottom. This secondary text identifies parts of the body. However, many of these details are not shown in the images.
I can't help but wonder how much I am influencing my granddaughter's lack on interest in this book. It begins with a spider, and much as I try to be neutral, I am not particularly fond of spiders. Irrational fear comes closer to describing my relationship with them. That said, other pages are delightful and Ada does like to feel the different little creatures.

3 stars
Ears by Flowerpot Press

I like the photographs in this book a lot. I like that it is a nonfiction title for the littlest ones. On one two page spread it shows just the ears of a specific animal and a question asking, with some specific detail, who has ..... ears like these? The next page spread shows the whole animal.
Unfortunately, Ada doesn't love it as much a I do, although she can now show us where her own ears are!

3 stars
Who Can? by Charles Ghigna & Vlasta Van Kampen (Illustrator)

Vlasta van Kampen's illustrations are gorgeous in this rhyming riddle book. Ada and Everett are not really ready for the puzzle part but they do enjoy the images, especially if we read the book as if it is a hiding game.

5 stars
Who is Smiling? by Yusuke Yonezu

We love this book. It's one of those that Ada brings to me regularly these days while saying "book." But don't take my word for it. Look at her reading it to her doll in this video.



PICTURE BOOKS

3 stars
A Stone for Sascha by Aaron Becker

I've read this book numerous times and I still haven't figured out what to think about it. On the one hand the artwork is hands-down beautiful. What confounds me is the storyline. It begins with a young girl and her family burying their pet dog. Then the family is shown at the beach with this young girl making connections to a rock that she finds in the ocean. We are then shown a possible history of this rock across time and space.
I think the author is trying to show that the death of a family pet is a small thing in the bigger picture of time and space and that this brings the girl comfort. Even if young readers figure out this connection, which is debatable, I think it's balderdash. I say this as someone who is in the middle of grieving these days. Knowing a loved one's death is part of a larger picture does not assuage one's grief. It doesn't bring comfort. Over time perhaps this connection makes sense, but it doesn't feel authentic to me given that the girl has just buried her beloved pet.
I do think the second narrative, of the life cycle of the rock landing as a meteorite on earth, stands on its own as a brilliant story.

GRAPHIC

4 stars
Gordon: Bark To The Future! (P.U.R.S.T. #2) by Ashley Spires

Ashley Spires can do no wrong! If you are not a fan of all her graphic novel series, (Binky and PURST) you are leading a deprived life. I wish I had a dog like Gordon! If you have beginning readers, you need these books. 

NOVELS

4 stars
The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend & Gemma Whelan (Narrator)

Morrigan Crow is a cursed child who is doomed to die on her 11th birthday. She is rescued by Jupiter North, who brings her to Nevermoor, where he sponsors her to compete in the trials to become a member of the Wundrous Society. This book is a wonderful fantasy that highlights the truly important things in life, being connected to others and belonging.
Although there is a bit of irritating girl snarkiness, it's negligible, and there are interesting twists inside of it.
I'm really glad I got around to reading this. Not only did I love this tale of Morrigan Crow, but no sooner did I finish it, I went to see if the next in the series was available. Unfortunately, it's on order, but not as an audiobook, so I'll wait a while and try to catch up on the rest of my reading.

5 stars
No Fixed Address by Susin Nielsen

I barely finished this NetGalley title this afternoon. I'm in the process of writing a review, but here are a few important things about it. I'm not particularly fond of reading on my device, and I was compelled to keep coming back to finish this one. Also, my eyes leaked for the last 25 pages or so.

Adult Nonfiction
           
4 stars
Quilting Modern: Techniques and Projects for Improvisational Quilts by Jacquie Gering & Katie Pedersen

Ever since reading about Gee's Bend quilts I've become more interested in modern quilting. To be honest, I skimmed through much of the basic information about quilting since I've been making quilts and wall hangings or some time already.

CURRENTLY

I'm listening to Word by Word by Kory Stomper. I plan to start reading Front Desk in the next couple of days and I need to finish The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden by Karina Yan Glaser, a NetGalley title, before it expires on me!


UP NEXT

I hope to get to The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed, a pile of picture books and hopefully spend some time dealing with the pile of picture books!

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2018 21/25
#MustReadNFIn2018 6/12
25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 17/25
Goodreads Reading Challenge 310/333

23 comments:

  1. So glad I read your words about Stone for Sascha. I did love the illustrations there and got so lost in the story of the rock's history that I really forgot about the child's grief. And that can't be right! I am really not sure what he's trying to say about grief with this particular story. It's hard to interpret it any other way than how you've described it here, and I can't really get behind a story with that message either. Very strange! I have loved all of Ashley Spires's Binky books and didn't realize there was also a series about Gordon. Must request!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Stone for Sascha could lead to interesting conversations about our place in the grand scheme of things and I’m sure there are those who will disagree with my take on it.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised at how much I got into Nevermoor -- exciting, edge-of-your-seat story. As soon as I finished it, I pre-ordered book #2. So I hope I enjoy reading it, instead of listening the second time around. I'm looking forward to No Fixed Address -- can't wait! Thanks for sharing, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I was delightfully surprised by how exciting and dramatic it is.

      Delete
  3. A Stone for Sascha is not a book that I loved as much as others. I can see what you're saying about. I found it rather strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved lots about it, but it doesn’t go together for me.

      Delete
  4. No Fixed Address is one I'd like to read, Cheriee and I just read another review about another book about homelessness, too. I'm glad they're being published, a need for all of us to try to understand. As for A Stone for Sascha, I thought that Becker meant that being in nature was a soothing thing, not trying to take away the grief, but the young girl only holding onto to something good. I hear your concerns and am grateful that you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree that being in nature provides solace at times like this.
      I hope these books about homelessness help us find a way to end in.

      Delete
  5. The Trials of Morrigan Crow looks like a good one to read during the weeks leading up to Halloween. I’ll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it is a good one to read anytime! It's been compared to Harry Potter, but I think it was a better read. Not only that, it has a strong girl protagonist!

      Delete
  6. I hate when our eyes leak :) Love the way you phrased that!
    And being busy because of family things is always ok!
    I agree with Sascha. I can appreciate the artwork, but I think the story is lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that if my eyes leak, it means I am completely engaged and that's a good sign!
      I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with mixed feelings about Sascha.

      Delete
  7. Little Critters looks absolutely adorable. I love simple illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The images are delightful and Ada loves the tactile component!

      Delete
  8. Not about kids' books, but noting your interest in quilts... Have you listened to this wonderful 1930s-set novel on this podcast, written and read by one of my favorite middle-grade authors, Frances O'Roark Dowell? So good! https://quiltfiction.com/?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Fixed address - putting it on my TBR - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to you and Ada for your comments about WHO CAN?

    Cheers!
    Charles
    FatherGoose.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are specially fans of A Parade of Puppies and are looking for a copy of A Carnival of Cats!

      Delete
  11. Love reading your thoughts about A Stone for Sascha - a perfect illustration of how narratives reach us differently at certain junctures in our lives. :) I also love seeing how many books you are currently reading and plan on reading - that is my link to sanity now, the fact that there are so so so many books waiting for me to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the numbers of books I want to read is overwhelming and more of a link to a possible insanity!

      Delete
  12. Similar feelings with A Stone for Sascha. I loved the illustration, but was confuzzled by the story.

    ReplyDelete