FIRST FRIDAY POETRY JULY 2024

I'm joining Beverly A Baird & Linda Schueler in a "year long poetry practice – on the first Friday of each Month," when we, and anyone else who joins, writes a poem and pairs it up with a photo relating to it.

Last year for my birthday my sons purchased a MasterClass subscription. To be honest, at first I didn't do much except watch cooking lessons. Recently I completed a reading and writing poetry course with Billy Collins. The following poem is influenced by those sessions and an afternoon hanging out at the river with my son and his two children. 


the river

i don’t really want to go,
but it’s the grandkids last day
so we hike along the path
to the swimming hole

almost knee deep,
the sweet scented,  
olive green current
caresses my calves,
cools
 me down

lurking near the large rock
a two foot long
bass, carp, or trout,
(it's too early for sockeye)
dissolves into shadows

across the water
a duo of swallowtails swoop
among tree tops

high above the river,
a couple of
dragonflies
arc, dive, spin, and soar
aeronauts engaged in
the ancient dance
of romance

undaunted by the children splashing,
damselflies
skim across the river surface

a pair of them
alight
for one iridescent blue moment
on my knee

6 comments:

  1. What a perfect afternoon. I can picture all that you write in your poem. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great sensory poem! I can really feel the olive green current (actually it made me feel better!) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda. I feel like I was trying to capture something that really was beyond words.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine being there just by reading your beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete