#IMWAYR April 22, 2024

Welcome! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next.


I almost didn't post this week because I have been busy trying to get the house and yard under control before we head off to Vancouver to visit with family and celebrate one of our granddaughters turning four. We won't be around next weekend because we will still be there celebrating. I wouldn't ordinarily worry so much about the house, but some of my extended family will be staying here to celebrate one of my aunts' birthday. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

MG FICTION


Lulu lives with her sister and mother in a small community outside of Manilla, Philippines. During an earthquake she discovers that she has superpowers. Soon after that she learns that her supportive neighbourhood and best friend are not who they appear to be. Lulu discovers that she is the salamangkero, a special being born to protect the different realms. When her adopted mother is kidnapped by a wakwak, Lulu, her adopted sister, Kitty, and her best friend, Bart, a shape shifter, set off to rescue her. The trio meet up with numerous personages from Philippine mythology.
I liked the merge of ancient mythology and modern pop culture in this book. Fans of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series will enjoy this. 
The physical book includes a glossary of Tagalog mythology. The problem with listening to this book is that I didn't realize this until I finished the novel. Villanueva does a good job of introducing them and their importance in the novel, but I really could have used it earlier on to provide background knowledge keep track of them all. 


Thanks to Max for the heads up about this sweet romantic graphic novel. It's the story of two young women who become friends and then more than that. Momo Gardner is an introvert. She's a good friend, but really doesn't value her own worth. She's the kind of friend who wants to think the best of others, but is sometimes taken advantage of by them. PG is more of a flirt and an extrovert. In spite of this, she's really a private person. When she falls for someone, she falls hard.
This graphic novel addresses important issues. At the same time as it deals with the romance between these two characters, it addresses friendship, love, self worth, and being honest with oneself and those closest to us.
I enjoyed this, but I think I might have appreciated it a lot more if I hadn't picked it up after having read Mexikid.

ADULT/YA FICTION


The Future was the winner of the Canada Reads debate this year. The theme was "looking for one book to carry us forward. When we are at a crossroads, when uncertainty is upon us, when we have faced challenges and are ready for the future, how do we know where to go next?"

"In an alternate history of Detroit, the Motor City was never surrendered to the US. Its residents deal with pollution, poverty, and the legacy of racism—and strange and magical things are happening: children rule over their own kingdom in the trees and burned houses regenerate themselves. When Gloria arrives looking for answers and her missing granddaughters, at first she finds only a hungry mouse in the derelict home where her daughter was murdered. But the neighbours take pity on her and she turns to their resilience and impressive gardens for sustenance."

After her daughter's death, Gloria moves to Detroit to live in her daughter's house. As she learns more about her daughter and granddaughters' lives, she has to come to terms with who her daughter became. Even when her attempts to connect with her grandchildren go nowhere, she never gives up hope that she will be reunited with the two girls. 
I am not generally a fan of dystopian realities, yet I fell head over heels in love with this one. Even though it's got that end of the world scenario, it's mostly about hope. It's a world that seems to be populated with old people and feral children. Getting to know them was pure joy. The Future is a story about resilience, found family, community and using that community to make everyone's lives better. I didn't want it to end. 




5 stars

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
 by Ocean Vuong (Author and Narrator) 
June 4, 2019

I started this book a while ago, but for all kinds of reasons, put it aside. When I picked it up again, I was in a better mental space for it. Emotionally this is a hard read. The beauty of the language only serves to emphasize the horrors experienced by Ocean, his mother, and his grandmother. I don't regret listening to this semi-autobiographical novel: Ocean Vuong's narration was profound. Yet I suspect I missed much not seeing the organization of his words. 
I contemplated writing more about this book, but honestly, nothing I could write could compare to this review on Goodreads by chai. Even if you have read the book, go and read this

CURRENTLY

Doppelganger by Naoimi Klein 🍁 

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin January 1, 1978

Naked: Not Your Average Sex Encyclopedia by Myriam Daguzan Bernier & Cécile Gariépy (Illustrator)  🍁

Wolfsong by TJ Klune

UP NEXT (MAYBE)

Rez Ball by Byron Graves

Woke up Like This by Amy Lea  🍁

READING GOALS 

#MustRead2024 8/25 one on the go

NonFiction 11/24 one on the go

Canadian Authors 17/50 two on the go

Indigenous Authors 7/25

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 75/200 

9 comments:

  1. So interesting! I just picked up a copy of the Ocean Vuong book yesterday at the used bookstore where I work. There are so many to read, I can't start it soon but will get to it after reading your words, Cheriee. I bookmarked the others, too! Have a great trip being with family! Mine is in the midst of planning for summer right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to live to at least 200 to read all the books I want to read, and that's only if I don't add any more to the list!

      Delete
  2. My kiddo is turning 5 next month! How do they grow up so quickly?! It's hard to wrap your head around sometimes, isn't it? :-) An odd story about my connection to Detroit - when I was a kid, for some weird reason, we got two TV stations from Detroit, included with our basic cable package (I grew up in Vancouver, Canada, so I have NO idea why this happened). It was amazing, because it meant we got to watch late-night TV three hours earlier, thanks to the magic of time zones, so I could watch ER at 7pm instead of 10pm on a school night. The interesting thing was that it also meant we got Detroit news programs, which, for someone growing up in a smaller Canadian city, were pretty shocking. It seemed like something out of a movie, and that was back in the 90s. I've never been to Detroit, but I still sometimes think about that little glimpse I got of life in that big city, all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to get great programming! When I was growing up in Oliver, BC, all we could get was CBC or the local country music radio. TV was as dire - I really only remember CBC, but we must have gotten cable by the time I was in my late teens.

      Delete
  3. OK, first, thank you so much for reading If You'll Have Me, Cheriee!! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it, although I get what you mean—sometimes a book you like after a book you LOVE kind of gets lost in the shuffle! But that made my day to see you try it out—I loved that book so much.

    Also, I read the review you cited of On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous and I did tear up just a little bit—something about what the book seems to get at, and what that reviewer was getting at too, resonated with me a lot. I added the book to my TBR—something tells me I'd get a lot out of it, even if it hurt to read.

    And I'm so glad you got to have a read you really enjoyed this week with The Future! The Lulu Sinagtala book sounds great too—something random is that the author, Gail Villanueva, also designs other authors' websites and does a really great job!

    I hope you have a wonderful trip to Vancouver this week—enjoy your time with family! Thanks so much for the wonderful post, as always, and see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to be mindful of when to read some books - especially books like this one by Ocean Vuong. I should have known better and not jumped right into another graphic novel after finished one that gobsmacked me with its brilliance like Mexikid did. I will try to peek in next week and see what you have been up to!

      Delete
  4. You have completely sold me on The Future, especially since I live in Detroit right now! And thanks for the reminder about If You'll Have Me--definitely on the lookout for that one after reading Max's review. Enjoy your trip to Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Future made me want to visit Detroit! Hope you enjoy it too.

      Delete
  5. I didn't have Lulu Sinagtala on my radar - I will definitely have to check it out now. I don't think I've read a book with Philippine mythology before, and I'm very intrigued!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete