FIRST FRIDAY POETRY MARCH 2024

I'm joining Beverly A Baird & Linda Schueler in a "year long poetry practice – on the first Friday of each Month," when we, and anyone else who joins, writes a poem and pairs it up with a photo relating to it.

I keep a Mary Oliver collection of poetry beside my recliner. Her work inspires me to find the sacred magic in the ordinary trappings of my life. My goal for this year is to write poems that celebrate this. 

Occasionally I wake up early enough to watch the sunrise. No matter how it shows up, I am always filled with awe.  Today's poem is about that. 

My partner doesn't get up early enough to take photographs of the dawn so I sent out a request for images. I was inundated with beauty. Unfortunately, no one takes pictures of those ordinary mornings when nothing flashy really happens. Yet ultimately, these are my favourite kind, reminding me that all of us are good enough just as we are. 

Photo by Sheri Stelkia


daybreak benediction


some mornings

the deep indigo of night

transforms,

fluorescing the horizon


a spectacle of 

amethyst, coral and crimson

crowns the sky


some mornings

the dark firmament

cleaves from the earth


crepuscular rays

gild the clouds and hills

in a glory hallelujah


some mornings

there is no fanfare

the stygian sky

just disintegrates

delivering us 

into the faded slate

of a new day



Photo by Trevor Reeves

Photo by Ron Peace

Photo by Trevor Reeves


In case you are interested, the above photographs can be purchased from the photographers. Let me know if you want their contact information.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - for both the poem and the photos. Stunning work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous poem, gorgeous pictures! One wonders if the nature of the sunrise reflects what happens during the day. I tend to focus on sunsets, as the view from my house of sunsets is better than sunrises.

    ReplyDelete