#IMWAYR December 11, 2023

Welcome! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book DateKellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next.


This is what I have been working on in my sewing life. I've finished three mice and  sewn, but not yet stuffed, three more. I've finished up a few outfits and hope to have at least two for each mouse by Christmas. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.
Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

CHAPTER BOOKS

Last week I asked Earl Dizon @ THE CHRONICLES OF A CHILDREN'S BOOK WRITER for some help choosing books for my six year old grandson. This is one that was on his list. I downloaded and devoured it. Then I ordered it and the other books he recommended (except for the ones I already purchased for him) from my local bookstore. 
Ever since losing their mother, the two Ratso brothers, Louie and Ralphie, try to be tough just like their father, Big Lou. They do their best to get into trouble and show everyone how harsh they can be, but all their attempts end up backfiring. They try to cause trouble, but end up doing good in the world. This book is full of tenderhearted sweetness and humour, just like my grandson. I'm looking forward to reading more. 

MIDDLE GRADE GRAPHIC NOVELS

This is based on the author's experience growing up the daughter of a Jewish mother and and Muskogee (Creek) Nation father. 
Mia lives with her Jewish mother, but longs to spend time with her Native American father. She uses her bat mitzvah money to purchase a ticket to go for a visit while her mother thinks she is at a school based weekend retreat. 
Of course she ends up getting found out, but her consequences end up turning into a learning opportunity for her, all her parents and even their rabbi. 

ADULT/YA FICTION


Honestly, if you are not a Murderbot fan, you are living a deprived life. Murderbot is a rogue security unit who hacked their governor model and is now a free agent. Murderbot is plagued with the two f words - feelings and friends. They are now connected to the people on Preservation Moon, a liberal planetary community in a universe mostly controlled by nefarious corporations. 

This novel continues the story after Network Effect. It's set in the same planet, but in a different community. Murderbot and friends are on a contaminated planet where they are attempting to rescue the inhabitants from future corporate slavery. Unfortunately, after their previous contamination, Murderbot is not up to par, and is experiencing strange kinds of flashbacks that might impair their ability to keep their humans safe.
While each of these novels or novelas are full of adventure and humour, it's really the character of Murderbot that keeps me coming back for more. 

4 stars

The List of Last Chances
 by Christina Myers
 🍁 

Ever since finding her partner in flagranti delicto, 38 year old Ruthie has lost her job, been sleeping on her friend's couch and downing a bottle of wine every night. Then her friend finds the perfect job for her. Ruthie is reluctant, but applies and gets it. All she has to do is help Kay, an elderly woman, pack up her house and drive her across the country from PEI to Vancouver. She also has to keep Kay's good looking son, David, updated on their progress. Once they are on their way, Kay reveals that never mind what David thinks, she has her own bucket list of where to go and what to do along the way. 
If you like feel good novels with friendship between generations, smidgeons of romance, road tripping, and plenty of humour, then this book is for you. 

As soon as I finished listening to this, I started all over again. 
I fell in love with Brené Brown's work after reading Daring Greatly. I'm not a fan of self help books, but I find her work to be invaluable for helping me to live more honestly in relationship with myself and the people important to me. 
In this book she unpacks emotions and experiences that enable us to have richer understanding of who and why we are who we are. 
She narrates this, and it's like having her explain it directly to you. 

CURRENTLY

Take Back The Fight: Organizing Feminism for the Digital Age by Nora Loreto  🍁 I keep adding this book to my list because I started it, but I seem to have misplaced it. 

Nobody Walks by Mick Herron
 
The Black Friend: On Being A Better White Person by Frederick Joseph

UP NEXT (MAYBE)

Eve: How the Female Body Drove 200 Million Years of Human Evolution by Cat Bohannon

READING GOALS 

#MustReadFiction 23/24 

#MustReadNonFiction 14/20 one in progress

Canadian Authors 55/75 

Indigenous Authors 21/20 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 196/200 

16 comments:

  1. I really need to read the Murderbot stories. I have at least five on my Kindle. The List of Last Chances also sounds good. Cute mice too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really really need to get started on these Kathy!

      Delete
  2. Cheriee, your mice are so cute!!!!! And in such fashionable outfits too—wow. And it looks like you've been reading some wonderful books lately too—Two Tribes is on my TBR list, and Murderbot continually sounds too good to pass up. Thanks so much for the thoughtful reviews, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that if you just read the first Murderbot book, you will be hooked. I listen to them as well as read them with my eyes. Kevin Free's voice is Murderbot for me. I miss him when I read them in print.

      Delete
  3. Well, Cheriee, those mice are darn cute! And, I bookmarked every one except the Ratsos, which I know. Thanks, for making my stack even higher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually read The Infamous Ratsos with my second graders at the end of the year and they always love it. The mice you made are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Lisa. I suspect this means it will be a hit with my grandson.

      Delete
  5. I love the mice! So cute. I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aj. I am having a good week and hope you are too!

      Delete
  6. The mice are so cute. Two Tribes is one of my fave graphic novels this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why Two Tribes could be a fave. Ghost Book by Remy Lai is probably top of my list for this year.

      Delete
  7. Cherie, I have been living a deprived life because I’ve never heard of Murderbot. That is soon to be remedied, however. Two Tribes, The List of Last Chances (great title) and Brene Brown…yes, please! And your mice are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really have Linda. I am certain that you will soon become a fan. Everyone else who I have introduced the series to now is.

      Delete
  8. Those mice are adorable! You are so creative & talented. Love that you got some recs for your grandson from an expert :) Ratsos and Two Tribes both look good. Murderbots sounds very unique and definitely intriguing! And I love your description of the List of Last Places - I love a roadtrip story! I enjoyed Brene Brown's TED talk, but I've never read/listened to any of her books. Like you, I don't read a lot of self help, but your description and reaction convinced me I should give her a try!
    Hope you're enjoying your books this week -
    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I just can't believe that you have never read Murderbot!!! Before you read anything else, you should absolutely start reading them! Brené Brown will wait!

      Delete