FREE VERSE FRIDAY #9 SEPTEMBER: AUTUMN

I'm joining Beverly A Baird, Linda Schueler and others in a "year long poetry practice – on the first Friday of each Month," when they, and anyone else who joins, will be writing a poem based on the theme of the month and a photo taken relating to that theme.

You can find out more about this here.

I forgot about writing this til September 30th, so I begged my photographers Randy Rotheisler, and Ron Peace, to send me inspiration. They told me it didn't work like that. I scribbled off a draft and sent it to them. 

by Randy Rotheisler

Autumn

if Spring is the midwife,
and Summer, 
an indulgent mother,
then Autumn,
Autumn is the death doula,
ushering Earth's weary players
to the ends of their season
across cinematic pigments of glory
and into Winter's waiting embrace

by Ron Peace


here's one from me


The first time I participated, I didn't get the photograph first bit. I let the theme percolate throughout the month before posting and the poem more or less wrote itself. When I realized my mistake, I sent a half decent draft of it to my partner, Randy Rotheisler, and a friend, Ron Peace, both gifted photographers, asking for images to accompany it. We have continued this process.

In case you are interested, both these photographs can be purchased from the photographers. Let me know if you want their contact information.


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the personifications. I can visualize it. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The idea of Autumn as a death doula was how it all started. Now that I am aging, I like to think Autumn is a reminder that I/we still have the opportunity to make the world a better place!

      Delete
  2. How do I join and does Haiku count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just join and leave a message on Linda and Bev's posts. I hope you do!

      Delete