#IMWAYR July 4th, 2022

Welcome readers! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next. 


We enjoyed a quiet Canada Day here on Friday and had a friend over for dinner. Monday is July 4th in United States so I'm hoping my American family and friends are enjoying their long weekend. 

It's a good thing I went out and picked raspberries Sunday morning because by the afternoon, we were in the middle of a wild and wonderful thunderstorm. Working in the garden was out of the question so I managed to get more work done on my crazy quilted jacket. It might even be done before the end of summer! 

I contemplated taking a break from blogging this week, but our granddaughters are coming for a visit next weekend while their parents finish moving into their new home. Having the two of them without Mom and Dad will make for a really busy time. The youngest who is only 2 has never been away without at least one of them. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS 


If you like your picture books to have a generous dose of quirky, you will love this.
Lizzy is excited to get her own cloud. She carefully follows the instructions for caring for it. In turn, her cloud helps her out by watering her plants. Unfortunately, the instructions say nothing about what to do when your cloud grows too big for your bedroom.
At first I assumed this fantasy was set in modern times. Yet within a few pages it became clear that we were being taken back to earlier days. Oh those cars!
When reading a picture book, I usually read the text, and then end up poring over the illustrations. With this newest release from the Fan Brothers, I got less than 1/3 in before going back to spend time revisiting the previous pages. The detail in the artwork will have you coming back for more to see what you missed your first and second times round. The use of yellow in contrast to the grey skies is brilliant. The only section fully infused with colour is the two page spread of the park where Lizzy goes with her parents to get her cloud, Milo.
Two of my granddaughters are coming to visit this weekend. I can't wait to find out what they think of this book.

5 stars

This Book Is Not for You!
by Shannon Hale & Tracy Subisak (Illustrator) March 22, 2022

Shannon Hale wrote this book in response to all the times people asked her when she was going to write a book for boys. It's sad and hilarious at the same time. 
Stanley is excited to visit the book mobile, but when he tries to check out a book that looks interesting, the new librarian won't let him because the protagonist is a girl. "“Girl books” are only for girls, the book man insists, just like cat books are only for cats and robot books are only for robots." The readers have already traded their books when an allosaurus arrives and insists on reading the book it wants to read. 

4 stars

Anansi and the Golden Pot by Taiye Selasi & Tinuke Fagborun (Illustrator) February 15, 2022

""Traditional stories are always true," the spider answered, laughing. Nothing lasts so long as truth, nor travels quite so far.""    
When Kweku and his family travel to Ghana to visit their Grandma, he is visited by Anansi the spider. Anansi gives him a magical pot that will give the boy whatever he wants. With the help of his grandmother he learns that, "Greed brings grief. Generosity brings joy."
Information in the back matter tells us more about Anansi, oral storytelling, food and the Adinkra symbols found throughout the pages. I ended up going back and poring over the illustrations in search of these. I also went searching for a recipe for Red Red. 


I read this YA novel after first reading the sequel a couple of years ago. I'm sure that knowing what I did about the Nahx from that book played an important role in how I read the characters in this book.
"Sixteen year-old Raven is at summer camp when the terrifying armored Nahx invade, annihilating entire cities, taking control of the Earth."
Eighth is one of the Nahx. When his partner is killed, he roams wild, not wanting to follow his directive to, "Dart the humans. Leave them where they fall."
Eighth ends up rescuing Raven and taking care of her until she is well enough to return to her group. In the process, he falls in love with her.
The book is told from both of their perspectives.
Some readers talk about this being a Beauty and the Beast retelling. I get the comparison, but for me, this book is more like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
I love that this book is set in the Canadian Rockies. It begins in summer, but finishes up in winter. It will leave you wanting to put a coat on, no matter what time of year you read it. 
I now have to reread Cold Falling White. I wish Gabrielle S. Prendergast had written a third book in this series.

ADULT NOVELS 


It took me a while to sort this novel out. It begins with the story of Edwin St. Andrew, an 18 year old remittance man who ends up on Vancouver Island in 1912. From there it moves into the future with a famous author, Olive Llewellyn, who lives on a colony on the moon, travelling Earth on a book tour. Then there is Gaspery-Jacques Roberts, a time traveller who visits different times zones and interviews Edwin and Olive.
Having read Station Eleven by the same author, the sections with Olive Llewellyn's book tour, just as a pandemic is beginning, feel like they could be possible based on the author's experience. Of course, it could be that I read Station Eleven while we were in the middle of a pandemic. 
I was fascinated by all the characters lives, but it wasn't until I began to understand how they all came together that I became fully engaged with this book. The ending was a complete and delightful surprise.

5+ stars

The Fifth Season
 by N.K. Jemisin &
 Robin Miles (Narrator) August 4, 2015

Holy Carumba! This is some read! 
N.K. Jemisin has created characters and a world that staggers the imagination.
We follow three characters as they make their way in a world full of physical upheaval and oppression. It's a "seismically hyperactive" world wracked with constant earthquakes and volcanoes. These characters have power over the earth and can stop or start its activity. One is a young girl sold by her family because of her power. Another is a woman who returns home to discover her husband has murdered their four year old son and kidnapped their daughter. The third is a young woman whose purpose is to develop and improve her power and at the same time, become pregnant and bring another child like herself into the world. Their stories are interspersed and eventually at the end, we come to understand how they are connected.
This book is so much more than any kind of fantasy I have ever envisioned possible. I never used to be a fan of fantasy, but I can hardly wait to start the next in the trilogy, The Obelisk Gate.

CURRENTLY

The Boy Who Failed Show and Tell by Jordan Sonnenblick
The Crosswood by Gabrielle S. Prendergast πŸ

UP NEXT 

Three Women and A Boat by Anne Younson
The Body by Bill Bryson
Truckers by Terry Pratchett

READING GOALS

#MustReadFiction 12/24 one in progress

#MustReadNonFiction 11/18 

Canadian Authors 38/100 one in progress

Canada Reads shortlist 5/5 

Indigenous Authors 12/25

2022 Big Book Summer Challenge 4

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 152 /250

25 comments:

  1. Oh, have a wonderful time with your grandkiddos! I've had Sea of Tranquility on my list for quite some time so I hope to get to it soon. Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sea of Tranquility is a great read in a week of great reading!

      Delete
  2. Happy belated Canada Day! Enjoy the time with your granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your thoughts on The Fifth Season. :) I hope to finally read that one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how much I loved The Fifth Season!

      Delete
  4. Have fun next weekend, Cheriee. Thanks for Lizzy & the Cloud, sounds fun! I think I told you I have the St. Mandel, still haven't read it yet! Thanks for all1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy Lizzy & the Cloud Linda. Hopefully you will find time for Sea of Tranquility eventually.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you've been up to a lot lately, Cheriee! Good luck working on your quilted jacket this summer! I'm glad you enjoyed Canada Day, and I hope you have a great visit with your grandchildren next weekend. For books, I really want to read Lizzy and the Cloud—I still haven't read anything by the Fan Brothers, and I've contemplated doing a single post on several of their books that I want to read. I also really want to read This Book Is Not For You, and Anansi and the Golden Pot sounds great as well. I have family who are gearing up to read Sea of Tranquility and who loved the N. K. Jemisin trilogy you're reading now! Thanks so much for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a delightful treat ahead of you when you start to read the Fan Brothers books!

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and exhausting time with your grandchildren! Enjoy! Nice looking books too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that exhausting is the operative word here!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like it was a great reading week. I want to read them all now. Have a fun time with your grandchildren. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Canada Day! Lizzy and the Cloud looks adorable.

    Sea of Tranquility looks great to me, and I've been wanting to try this author since Station eleven but just haven't yet. Soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Sea of Tranquility is as good as Station Eleven, but it's still a worthwhile read.

      Delete
  9. Happy Canada Day! I recognize the cover for Zero Repeat Forever, but I can't remember the book. Sounds like it might be time for a reread. I love the concept of This Book Is Not For You. Sounds like I have to read The Firth Season and Sea of Tranquility too. Thanks for all the great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover of Zero Repeat Forever is just gorgeous isn't it? I'm telling everyone to read The Firth Season. It just gobsmacked me.

      Delete
  10. Lizzy and the Cloud sounds interesting. Knowing it's by The Fan Brothers I have no doubt the illustrations are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Canada Day! Those kid books look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each one of them is wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading them with my grandkids.

      Delete
  12. Have an excellent time with your grandchildren. I have been thinking of trying a Jesmin book for a while but just not making the time. Your review of the new Fan book was great, there does seem to be a lot in their illustrations to pour over. Thanks for the adds to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Jemisin, my fingers/brain combined to mess that name up badly.

      Delete
  13. I'll be reading this trilogy by Jemisin this summer. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This Book is Not for You sounds like something I would like. N. K. Jemisin has been on my TBR for years but I've never gotten around to actually reading any of her books. It sounds like The Fifth Season is a good place to start.

    Have you read the Tristan Strong trilogy by Kwame Mbalia? It's for middle grade readers but you might like it since you liked the Anansi book.

    Have a great weekend with your grandkids!

    ReplyDelete