#IMWAYR April 4, 2022

Welcome readers! It's #IMWAYR time again, when bloggers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. These are fabulous places to start your search for what to read next. 


Just a reminder to everyone participating in #MustReadIn2022,  I will host an (entirely optional) update at the end of the month. How are you doing?

Hope you all had a fabulous time last weekend. I visited with my grandchildren and their parents in the big city of Vancouver, BC. My eldest son and I took the two youngest cousins to the aquarium. After reading The Soul of an Octopus a couple of weeks ago, I was happy to see that the octopus was in a much larger space with other native plants and animals. We searched and searched for it in the large tank, only to find it hiding in a small cave right in front of us. On the way out I purchased rubber octopuses for the children and (with apologies to Sharon Lois and Brahm) we sang this made up song almost all the way home: 

One octopus went out to play
Inside a kelp forest one day
She had such enormous fun
She called for another octopus to come....
 
We came home on Tuesday and the first thing I did was get caught up on the Canada Reads debates. This is the first time I have read all the books before the event. I wasn't really invested in having any of them win, but was sad to see Life in the City of Dirty Water by Clayton Thomas-Mรผller get voted off so soon. 

Titles with a ๐Ÿ indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS 

5 stars

Shirley Chisholm Dared: The Story of the First Black Woman in Congress
by Alicia D. Williams & April Harrison (Illustrator)

I had heard of Shirley Chisholm, but after Katherine Johnson, in her autobiography, talked about her, I determined it was time to learn more. 
Shirley Chisholm was a truly remarkable woman who certainly lived up to her father's words to, "Make something of yourself." No matter whether she was working as a teacher's aid or an elected representative, this daring, rebellious, persistent, troublemaking woman worked hard for her immediate community and all people. We need more politicians like her.

3 stars

I Have the Right to Save My Planet
by Alain Serres, Aurรฉlia Fronty (Illustrations) & Shelley Tanaka (Translation) ๐Ÿ April 1, 2021

This is a book that looks not only at the rights children have with respect to the planet, but also at what they can do to protect it. It is an important book - one that I would absolutely have in my school library, even if it does get a bit preachy in places. I was irritated because the bold print in my digital copy was a jumbled mess that was impossible to decipher at times.
I adored the artwork!

CHAPTER BOOKS


I introduced Ada, my eldest granddaughter to this, the first in Kallie George and Abigail Halpin's adaptation of Maud Montgomery's famous Anne of Green Gables. It was a reread for me. I am impressed again by how rich this version is and how it captures the essence of Anne's story so authentically. Ada is now hooked. I will read the next in the series to her when I see her again at the end of the month. 

5 stars

The Princess in Black and the Mermaid Princess
by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale & LeUyen Pham (Illustrations) February 01, 2022

My granddaughter and I loved this new Princess in Black book.
While out on a friend's boat, the Princess in Black and a few friends meet Princess Posy, a real live mermaid. Princess Posy has problems with kraken who terrorize her cute sea goats. The friends try to help her, but fighting under water is very different from fighting on land. Still, they inspire Princess Posy to take on and battle the kraken on her own. 
I love that this book in the series encourages children (especially girls) to speak up and use their voice on behalf of themselves and others. 

MG & YA NON FICTION


What an amazing woman!
Katharine Johnson’s story is the story of African American life in the 20th century.
She was a truly gifted learner who excelled at school. Her parents worked hard and sacrificed to ensure that all their children went to college. This was rare enough for white families and even more unusual for black ones.
She taught school, married, and had children before landing a position at NASA. Eventually she was an integral part of a team that put men on the moon.
In this book we get to see, through her perspective, the events of a century. 
I was fascinated by how, in spite of white politicians attempts to make education for black students more difficult, in many ways, these actions resulted in better education for black learners. Black teachers had to be much more qualified than white ones to get a teaching position, so their students were taught by superior educators. When universities were being forced to integrate, black students received grants to go to universities outside the state. Students ended up attending places like Columbia and New York State instead of the inferior campuses in Virginia - all on the government’s dime.
By the time I finished this book I was enchanted by Katharine Johnson herself. She was a brilliant, compassionate, community minded woman who worked hard her whole life to make life better for African American citizens of all ages. Irrespective of skin colour, the world needs more people like her.
The world would be a much better placed if everyone believed these words of wisdom given to her by her father. "You are no better than anyone else, and no one is better than you."


Ruta Sepetys never lets me down. I was completely enthralled by this novel that highlights the life of Romanian teens under the brutal rule of Nicolae Ceauศ™escu.
At the height of his reign, it is estimated that at least one out of every ten people was informing on the people around them.
I want more adults to read books like this. I believe that all those misguided people who think that they live under tyranny because they are asked to get vaccinated and wear masks, might come to realize how lucky they really are.

ADULT NOVELS 


Richard Powers is a force to be reckoned with. If he writes it, I will read it. 

Theo Byrne is raising his son, Robin, on his own after his wife, Ally, was killed in a car accident. Robin is a special kind of child to raise. He might be on a spectrum of some kind. What is for certain is that he is brilliant. Robin seems to have no impulse control and Theo is pressured to put him on drugs. Instead he sets him up in an experimental neurofeedback project. Robin makes dramatic progress until the project is cancelled because of political interference. Then it's just a matter of time until disaster strikes.


I think we talked more about this book in our book club than any other book. Maybe it is because we are all of age with the protagonists. Maybe it is because we were able to make some profound connections to our own lives. It is an epistolary novel - a conversation through letters between two lonely aging adults. We were all content with the unresolved ending.

NON FICTION


The world as we know it is in a precarious position. Here where I live, drought, heat waves, forest fires and floods, prove we are already experiencing the effects of the climate crisis. If we don't act now, there won't be much of a liveable future for our children and grandchildren. 
Naomi Klein addresses numerous climate crisis and extinction related issues in this collection of long form essays. I especially appreciate those articles that explain why we desperately need a green new deal, what it means, and how we can achieve it. 

5 stars

Deep House: A DreadfulWater Mystery
by Thomas King January 15, 2022 ๐Ÿ

It's no secret that I am a hardcore Thomas King fan. I have read almost everything he has written. His DreadfulWater series is a particular pleasure. Thumps DreadfulWater is a retired Native American cop who now lives in the small town of Chinook. He makes a living taking and selling photographs, and helps out the local sheriff when crime visits the small town. The characters take me back to a radio show, The Dead Dog Cafe, that King wrote for CBC radio. The books are so loaded with humour I find myself chortling and guffawing on a regular basis. At the same time, Thomas King slips important indigenous issues within the context of his brilliant story telling. 

ABANDONED


I had a hard time with this reread. I knew the ending for some of these characters and Hernandez' writing is so good, that I just dreaded revisiting what happens. I gave up on the ebook and tried to reread a hard copy, but returned it to the library unfinished. 

CURRENTLY

Audiobook - Those Kids from Fawn Creek by Erin Entrada Kelly
I Am Not Starfire by Mariko Tamaki & Yoshi Yoshitani (Artist) ๐Ÿ
The Waiting by Keum Suk Gendry-Kim & Janet Hong ๐Ÿ (Translation)

UP NEXT 

Audiobook - Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
All the Quiet Places by Brian Thomas Isaac ๐Ÿ

READING GOALS

#MustReadFiction 8/24 

#MustReadNonFiction 5/18

Canadian Authors 21/100

Canada Reads shortlist 5/5 

Indigenous Authors 9/25 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 81/250

10 comments:

  1. I really should read Ruta Sepetys!

    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should! Her work is always completely engaging!

      Delete
  2. I have the new Sepetys book, just haven't found the time. I love every one of her books! And I have had Meet Me At The Museum on my kindle for a long time, again, no time, but I'm happy to read what you wrote about it. I'll remember. I've read about both Chishom & Katherine Johnson but not these books. What inspirations they both are. The new Anne sounds nice, and I loved hearing about your aquarium visit. We had a small one here & the octopus they had kept escaping, fun stories. Thanks, Cheriee, great to read your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as Sepetys book became available, I started listening. Her characters are always so compelling. I'm not sure I would have read Meet Me At the Museum if it hadn't been a book club choice, but I'm sure glad I did.

      Delete
  3. The whole time I was reading I Must Betray You, I kept thinking how unbelievable it is that people actually lived under those conditions. It definitely opened my eyes to that piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read other books about life in communist Russia, and East Berlin, but this was definitely and eye opener.

      Delete
  4. I love when you read a biography of someone and they mention someone who's inspired them that you want to read about them as well. A great way to dig deep into learning about someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katharine Johnson's book was just full of fascinating people almost as interesting as she herself was.

      Delete
  5. My current progress in #MustReadIn2022 can be summed up as ๐Ÿฅถ—I kind of haven't started at all, so I'll probably skip the update! (I'm going to cram in so many of those books during the summer—I can't wait!) It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family at the aquarium—and I love the little song! And all of these books look so good—I made note of Shirley Chisholm Dared, and Katherine Johnson's autobiography sounds so compelling (Black students benefiting in some ways from politicians' attempts to stifle their education is a kind of wonderful karma!). I Must Betray You sounds phenomenal as well. Thanks so much for the wonderful post, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to focus on reading these books from my #MustReadList. I try to have one on the go all the time. They are, after all, on the list for a reason! My son wanted us all singing so his little girl wouldn't fall asleep on him before he got her home. I'm in the process of turning the octopus song into a little e book for the children.

      Delete