Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me 'Round: My Story of the Making of Martin Luther King Day by Kathlyn J. Kirkwood & Steffi Walthall (Illustrator)


Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this memoir in verse. It was released January 4, 2022, by Clarion Books.

Kathlyn J. Kirkwood was 17 when she participated in the march for the Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike. The following day, April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King, who had led the march, was assassinated. Rioting, chaos, and military oppression ensued. She wondered if maybe Dr King was right when he said, 

"A riot is the language of the unheard” 

In this memoir Kirkwood personalizes the movement to honour Dr King with a federal holiday. She outlines the ongoing struggle to bring forth the King Bill into law. It took 15 years. Her life continued on with university, marriage, work, and children. She honours the many people who worked hard to make it happen, especially Stevie Wonder and the role he played. 

I did not know that his Happy Birthday song was about Dr King. 


I got shivers reading about the passage of the bill through congress, the senate, and being signed into law by President Reagan in 1986.


I appreciated the integration of posters, photographs, maps, petitions, tickets and other memorabilia that connects to what was happening at the time. 

I especially like what Kathlyn has to say about the role of foot soldiers - ordinary people who work for a cause without recognition.


Even before this quote, I was already inspired by her idea of foot soldiers. It makes me think about what I can do as a foot soldier in the movement to stop climate change and bring in a new green deal. 

This memoir in verse is the perfect read as we near Martin Luther King's birthday, January 15th.

If I was still working in my school library, I'd purchase two copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment