#MustReadIn2021 Year End Update


Carrie Gelson at There's a Book for That started #MustRead as a way to address our GoodReads lists. This year Leigh Anne Eck at A Day In the Life and I took over for her. Leigh Anne Eck is hosting the final update for this year. Add your link here

I managed to accomplish all my reading goals this year. I even surpassed some of them. My Goodreads goal was to read 333 books. I ended up reading 456!

My plan was to read a certain number of books from different categories: fiction, nonfiction, picture books, Indigenous authors, and Canadian authors.You can read more about my original goals here.

GENERAL FICTION

My goal was to read at least twenty four novels from a curated list. Since the end of August I've read another six books making it thirty all together. Almost all of the books are there because they received stellar reviews or because they are authors whose work I adore. I gave five stars to fifteen of the titles I finished. You can check out my finished list here

Books I finished since August include:


NONFICTION

I accomplished my goal of reading at least twelve of the books from this curated list. Since I started keeping this goal, I read much more nonfiction in general and always have at least one on the go. The books I finished from my original list are here.

I finished three titles since August:


PICTURE BOOKS

My Goodreads list of picture books I 'wanted to read' was out of control. I weeded a lot of them and decided to try and read at least 100 of the 208 books left. 
It was hard. I am easily sidetracked by the shiny covers and smell of new books. 
At first I prioritized Canadian authors. I wouldn't have completed this goal except that between Christmas and New Years I was sick and couldn't focus on anything longer than a picture book. Thankfully the VPL has increased it's ebook collection since the start of the pandemic. You can see the list of the 102 picture books I finished here.  

Books I finished since August include:


INDIGENOUS AUTHORS

I read 41 titles by Indigenous authors this year. They included picture books, nonfiction, graphic novels, realistic and speculative fiction. They were all pretty spectacular. Here is what I completed

Books I finished since August include:


CANADIAN AUTHORS

I read at least 111 books by Canadian authors last year. If you add the 36 Indigenous Canadians, it makes up a good chunk of my reading life. 

Books I finished since August include:



DISCWORLD 

I started reading these in 2020 and decided to make completing it one of my 2021 goals. I completed the collection, including all the short stories connected to it, by the Fall Update. I even purchased Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, although I haven't made anything from it. The Discworld turned out to be the ideal respite from the real world of Covid anxiety.  


This blog post by Steve @ YOUR TURN, DAD  pretty much explains why I fell in love with this collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment