#IMWAYR October 25, 2021

Hello everyone. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

In the middle of the ravages of renovation, I have discovered the joy of rereading favourite series. I've almost finished the complete Murderbot by Martha Wells and have started rereading Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London. It helps that our living room, while a long way from being finished, is at least habitable. (for now at least)

Nothing is as satisfying as getting things accomplished. I managed to finish all the unread picture books laying around the house and am making headway with the other library books. The end is in sight for one of my Olivier Dunrea quilts, and I've started quilting the background for the second. I hope to post a picture of a completed quilt next week. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS


When Lola Visits
by Michelle Sterling & Aaron Asis (Illustrator) January 1, 2021

This is a book I want to gush about. Together, Michelle Sterling & Aaron Asis have created the perfect homage to summer, grandmothers, and Filipino culture.


Golden Threads
by Suzanne Del Rizzo & Miki Sato (Illustrator) April 15, 2020 🍁

A toy fox is swept away during a storm. The people who find him mend him with golden thread. Eventually he is returned to his owner.
This charming book teaches readers to find and appreciate the beauty in imperfect things.


Halal Hot Dogs
by Susannah Aziz & Parwinder Singh (Illustrator) May 04, 2021

This is a delightful book. A young boy tells the story of how his family celebrates after Friday prayers with special Jummah treats. It's full of humour, love and sweetness. His love for hotdogs makes instant connections across cultures. 


The More the Merrier
by David Martin by Raissa Figueroa (Illustrator) June 15, 2021

This book is pure joy. Bear begins dancing in a forest . They are joined by Moose, Snake, Deer and many other animals. As each one joins in they proclaim their delight in how the others move and add, "But I'm not like you. So I'll just do what I can do." This is the best message about acceptance and inclusion.

NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS


The Roots of Rap: 16 Bars on the 4 Pillars of Hip-Hop
by Carole Boston Weatherford & Frank Morrison (Illustrations) January 8, 2019

This book begs to be read out loud. If I was still working in the library I'd give it to a group of creative students and ask them to perform it. Weatherford celebrates the history of rap in her poem. Frank Morrison's illustrations are just stunning. The back matter is rich with additional information.

READERS 


Fish and Sun
by Sergio Ruzzier June 22, 2021

Two unlikely characters become friends in this sweet graphic reader. I love Ruzzier's illustrations.


GRAPHIC NOVELS


Ruth is a 12 year old journalist who publishes a blog called the CoolsLetter. In the process of uncovering that her community has contaminated water and figuring out where it comes from, readers, along with Ruth, learn how a journalist works.
I like a lot about this book. I like that the water issue is connected to personal consequences for Ruth and other individuals in her community. I like the diversity of characters. I like the background of ordinary peer pressure. I like the bit of romance. I like the teachers and parents. I would probably purchase a couple of copies if I was still working in a library.


Sugar Falls
by David A Robertson, Scott B. Henderson (Illustrator) & Donovan Yaciuk (Illustrator) December 31, 2011 🍁

This black and white graphic novel is based on the experiences of Elder Betty Ross. At the age of eight she was taken from her family to a residential school across the lake from her home. It's a profound fictionalized account of the physical, emotional, and sexual abuse she experienced there. This 10th anniversary version includes a forward by Senator Murray Sinclair, chair of Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and an afterward by Betty Ross. Both talk about the long term consequences of residential schools for themselves and their communities.

NOVELS


The Beatryce Prophecy
Kate DiCamillo, Sophie Blackall (illustrator), & Finty Williams (Narrator)
September 28, 2021

This jewel of a book (Aren't all Kate DiCammilo's books jewels?) reminded me of The Magician's Elephant. It's set in a medieval world and is brimming over with deep philosophical issues about basic rights, humanity, acceptance, kindness, and love. Especially it's about the power of love.

The lives of four children intersect because of acts of kindness and encouragement. Each of them has their own struggles. This beautiful book shows readers how simple acts of kindness can change the world.


Take Me with You When You Go
by David Levithan, Jennifer Niven &
 Sophie AmossJim FrangioneKevin R. FreeSkyler Gallun
Brian Holden (Narrators) August 31, 2021

Ezra Ahern's older sister, Bea, disappears. Soon after leaving, she emails him and swears him to keep their communication a secret. The story is told in their emails to one another. Their abusive home life is revealed through them.
This is an intense book.


After finishing a couple of newer books in the Rivers of London series, I decided to reread them all while I wait for the next volume to be published. I adore how smart and witty the writing is. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's narration almost makes me swoon.
Peter Grant is a young constable just starting out in the Metropolitan Police Service in London, England. One evening while guarding a murder scene, a ghost appears to him to tell him what he saw.  When he returns to the crime scene in hopes of interviewing the ghost again, he meets up with Chief Inspector Nightingale. Instead of ending up trapped in a position of doing paperwork so real coppers don't have to, Peter ends up as apprentice wizard to Nightingale. It's just as good if not better the second time round. 

CURRENTLY

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch
No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters by Ursula K. Le Guin
Under Shifting Stars Alexandra Latos

UP NEXT 

Clash by Kayla Miller
Jukebox by Nidhi Chanani
Linked by Gordon Korman
Closer to Nowhere by Ellen Hopkins
Beasts and Beauty: Dangerous Tales by Soman Chainani

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 26/25
 

#MustReadNFIn2021 11/12

#MustReadPBIn2021 63/100 

Big Book Summer Challenge 9 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 34/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 97/100

Canada Reads 2021 5/5 

Discworld Series 41/41

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 367/333 


10 comments:

  1. I saw Fish and Sun on someone else's post recently & though I don't read many easy readers, I love Ruzzier's books! Yes, I loved DiCamillo's Beatryce Prophecy, too. There's talk of Newbery! And I especially bookmarked Take me With You When You Go. I'm sure it will be good, though it sounds sad. Best wishes for that renovation and thanks for all. I marked a few others, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why Beatryce Prophecy would be on Newbury lists!
      I only read Fish and Sun because of Ruzzier.

      Delete
  2. When Lola Visits is gorgeous! I have to read Flight of the Puffins soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheriee, I'm glad your renovations are moving along, and that's wonderful that you've gotten some re-reading and PB reading in! And good luck with your quilts. When Lola Visits and Golden Threads look beautiful! And I wrote The Leak down as another graphic novel I need to find time for—I keep hearing good things about it. Flight of the Puffin sounds excellent—and the cover is seriously gorgeous! And Sugar Falls sounds like a powerful read as well. Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked The Leak (I ended up reading it twice) It's an important book that is as much about how journalism works as it is about thinking critically about the news we read.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like good news on the renovations front. I know so many are struggling to get construction work here in the states due to shortages. Hopefully that will be sorted out soon, though. As always, I'm looking forward to seeing pix of your quilting! I'm adding When Lola Visits, Golden Threads, and The Roots of Rap to my list this week. And I'm especially excited to see we have a copy of Flight of the Puffin (thought it's currently checked out). I'm always thankful for new titles to hunt down. :) Hope you have a wonderful reading week, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaye. I hope to have a picture of one finished quilt to share next week. That's the plan anyway. We are lucky to not have to purchase a lot of stuff here as my husband has collected most of what we need already.

      Delete
  5. A very interesting mix of books here. I would like to get The Leak for my library and Sugar Falls for my classroom (I have read the latter). I am a little behind on the Kate DiCamillo books, but I read and enjoyed Flight of the Puffin. Thought it would have made a good read aloud for a few classes but it seemed to be everyone's second choice for the beginning of the year. I would also like to eventually get to Rivers of London. That is new to me and looks good but it takes me so long to commit to books outside of MG/YA. This week it looks like you have Closer to Nowhere. I remember enjoying that and hope you do as well. Good luck with the rest of the renos, that can be tough to get finished lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about retirement is time to read more adult fiction. I hope you get to Rivers of London. It's kind of like Harry Potter for adults - only the writing is much better than Rowling.

      Delete