#IMWAYR June 7, 2021

Hello everyone. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

On the weekend my partner went on a men's camping trip high up into the mountains. Yesterday and today while I write this, the weather has been so cool I finally gave in and turned the furnace on. They froze up there. 

The good thing about the cool weather is that I managed to get a lot of weeding done in the garden yesterday. Earlier in the week I planted more beets. The first ones I put in disappeared. I am blaming the birds. I'm excited that the new seedlings are poking their little green noses above the ground. 

Before this cool spell, it was so hot I had the air conditioner on. Working outside was impossible so I returned to working on my Olivier Dunrea quilts. I'm finishing up the last of the little creatures. I just need to figure out how to do a couple of butterflies. Then I'll be working on plants. 

Walls have been ripped out and the electrician arrives this week to change some wiring. My guy is building cabinets for our utility room and an island to replace the kitchen wall that's been decimated. 

I will be away camping next week and then away the following week in Vancouver visiting our grandkids for their birthdays. I'll look forward to connecting with you all again at the end of June. You can follow what I'm reading on goodreads

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 


NOVELS

4 stars

Pine Island Home
 by Polly Horvath 
 🍁

I enjoyed this book. I even shed a tear or so at the end of this.
Four sisters are left orphaned after their parents die in the Tsunami in Thailand. After a year of letter writing, their great aunt in Canada enthusiastically agrees to take them. Unfortunately they arrive only to discover that the aunt died a few days previously. Still the intrepid crew do their best to survive on their own. They arrange for their cantankerous and unreliable neighbour to pretend to be their guardian when necessary.
I ended up liked the four girls and appreciated their individuality. I loved that one of them turns out to be a chef and author. I even ended up liking that irascible neighbour.


This is a profound book for how it looks at multiple levels of racism and bullying. A young American Korean girl learns how to deal with her own bullies after conversations with her grandparents about their experiences living in Korea during the Korean War. She also gets help from friends, a diversity club at school, and a good therapist. I was fascinated by the stories of what it was like to be in Korea during the war.


My brother has been bugging me to read some R.A. Salvatore for ages, so this year I asked him for one recommendation and he gave me this title to add to my #MustReadIn2021 list. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.
The world building is brilliant. I was totally engaged in the characters. There are a number of plot lines that come together at the end. It is violent - really horrific in places, but it fit the reality of this fictional land.
Aoleyn is one of those fictional characters I came to adore. I want to know how she fares. For her alone I am contemplating reading the next in this series.


MEMOIR

After finishing this I sat down with my partner to talk about the successes and failures of the Obama presidency. 
I was mostly fascinated by Michelle Obama's story of growing up and achieving her goals. While her parents might not have been wealthy, they were a loving family who supported their children and let them know that they had high expectations. 
It was interesting to find out that Michelle actually wanted nothing to do with politics. I liked that Barack and her went to couples therapy to learn how to address their differences. 
I will never truly understand how Americans went from the Obamas to the Trumps. 

DISCWORLD NOVELS

I have completed the official Discworld novels. I'm a little bit heartbroken, but have discovered that there are many short stories set in that reality. I'm going to be trying to track them down before I say I'm done with this challenge. I've even ordered Nanny Og's cookbook. 


I first listened to this book in 2016 while traveling back and forth to the hospital where my mother was dying. It turned out to be the ideal read. I regularly pulled over to the side of the road to weep.
It deals with death, grief, making amends and continuing on. It begins with the death of the ancient Granny Weatherwax. The young witch, Tiffany Aching is called upon to take over her stead.
I appreciated all kinds of details that I overlooked the first time round. Pratchett both wraps things up and hints at what might happen in the future of the Discworld. He introduces us to Geoffrey, a young man who wants to be a witch. Tiffany hires him to help her out since it's a challenge dealing with Nanny's stead and her own. Geoffrey befriends the retired men and helps them find some purpose and autonomy by introducing them to sheds (man caves.) In the land of fairy, one of the elves, Peaseblossom, usurps the power of Nightshade, the Queen. Her wings are torn off and she is thrown out of the kingdom. Tiffany successfully manages to rehabilitate her. After limited forays into the Discworld, the elves make an attempt to invade and take control of the Discworld. The witches and old men of the community work together to deal with the invasion. Squabbles between different factions of witches are resolved.
Like the other books in the collection, this one is chock full of humour and serious messages about how to live a meaningful life. 
I wrote down this quote the first time round and it has stuck with me. It's a profound reminder of the fragility of life.
"She hadn't seen the old lady in over a week and in a week an old lady could fall through the cracks of life."

CURRENTLY 

Bad Sister Charise Mericle Harper
Ophie's Ghosts by Justina Ireland

UP NEXT

In the Wild Light by Jeff Zentner
Bad Dog by Mike Boldt
The Black Kids by Christina Hammonds Reed
also a tall pile of picture books


BLOG POSTS PLANNED FOR NEXT WEEK

Anne's School Days by Kallie George
Bad Sister by Cherise Mericle Harper
 
PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 18/25 

#MustReadNFIn2021 6/12 

#MustReadPBIn2021 33/100 

Big Book Summer Challenge 2

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 17/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 56/100

Canada Reads 2021 4/5 

Discworld Series 41/41

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 211/333 

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've been up to a lot recently! I'll miss your posts the next two weeks, but I hope you enjoy both of your trips, and I'll be curious to hear what you've been reading at the end of June! These books sound wonderful! You've intrigued me regarding Finding Junie Kim—I had seen a review of it recently also, so I'll keep it in mind. The quote you mention from The Shepherd's Crown is a powerful one, and I'm glad that you have some Discworld short stories to read next! And Becoming sounds great as well—I cannot fathom how we went from the Obamas to the Trumps either, except that voters just vote for whatever is the most different from the current administration they believe has "failed" them. Sigh. Thank you so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most distressing thing about American politics is that the parties seem incapable of working together for the greater good of all Americans. It's not a whole lot better here, but at least we have more than two political parties at the table. Hope you find and read a copy of Junie Kim!

      Delete
  2. I'll never understand the Obama to Trump transition either, except - racism, sad to write. Every bit is sad, sad, sad. As for the books, I didn't know about Pine Island Home, sounds nice, Cheriee. I have 'Junie Kim' on that long, long list! Enjoy your time away & hope it's warmer for you camping than it was for your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heartbreaking Linda. We have our own troubles here and sadly, racism is the main problem.

      Delete
  3. Finding Junie Kim sounds like a book I should read. Have a great week of camping and visiting your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had your furnace on this last week? I'm STUNNED! Because it was 97 degrees here and we were sweating into puddles. It's amazing what different temps we can all experience in the same month. I really enjoyed Michelle Obama's Becoming and I have Barack Obama's A Promised Land on my #MustReadin2021 list, so I'm just waiting to carve out some time for that. I actually listened to Becoming as an audiobook. However, I had to check out the print book for all those photos. lol I'm really looking forward to Finding Junie Kim. It sounds very important and that cover is GORGEOUS. Wow. Thanks for all the shares, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaye, the weather has been nuts. Last week it was 40 here (104F) Friends who live on the mountain near us woke up to snow this morning! I will have to find a print copy of Becoming if the photos are that good. There was a delightful intimacy to listening to Michelle read her own book. It was like she was speaking directly to me.
      Junie Kim is one of the most important books I've read in ages.

      Delete
  5. Weather's been the same here! So horribly hot for weeks that I couldn't work outdoors (and now the weeds are winning again!) and then weird cool spells.

    I like Polly Horvath - Northward to the Moon was an outstanding novel!

    We were supposed to be going camping - right now, in fact, Sunday at 4 pm - but my FIL ended up in the ER all night. He's fine - false alarm - my my husband was up all night with him in the hospital. It's just as well. The 17-year cicadas are out nearby, including where we were going to camp, and the sound is deafening. The ranger at the park this morning described them as "apocalyptic"! So, it sounds like it wouldn't have been a very peaceful, relaxing trip anyway!

    Hope you enjoy your camping trip and family visits -

    Sue

    2021 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I have read a number of Polly Horbath titles, Northward to the Moon is not one of them.
      Just returned from camping. It was a gorgeous setting and it mostly only rained at night.

      Delete