#IMWAYR May 10, 2021

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


Our house got new windows this week. It is glorious! The most important difference is in our living room. We had a huge double pane picture window that water had leaked into so they never looked clean. Our new ones are crisp clear and have two casement windows on each end to let fresh air flow in. Now all we have to do is finish the trim around them. We also have to finish the rest of the renovations, but it is coming along. 

Aside from that, I spent a lot of time working in the garden this week. I didn't cover my seeds when I planted the first batch and the birds got them. I put netting over the last batch and am keeping seedlings in the cold frame until they get a bit bigger. I sure wish the birds would pull out and eat the weeds that are sprouting. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

BLOG POSTS LAST WEEK

This Is Ruby by Sara O'Leary & Alea Marley

Out into the Big Wide Lake by Paul Harbridge & Josée Bisaillon (Illustrations)


This is a charming story about a young girl and her grandfather. Although the two of them don't speak the same language, they have a delightful day together and end up bonding. 


Remember Sadie? Meet her friend Ruby. Ruby is a curious, innovative, go getter. Ruby is never bored. This book is a celebration of science and creativity. Check out my blog post here to read more and see images of the gorgeous artwork. 

5 stars

Out Into The Big Lake
by Paul Harbridge & Josée Bisaillon (Illustrations) May 18, 2021  🍁

You are going to love Kate! She's based on Harbridge's sister who has down syndrome. A pluckier hero is hard to find. Josée Bisaillon's illustrations are award worthy. Check out my blog post here to read more and see images of the gorgeous artwork. 


LeUyen Pham records the events of the past year as the world shut down because of Covid 19. In spite of the heartache and heartbreak, the book is full of optimism and hope.
Such a beautiful and important book.

NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS

5 stars

The Case of the Vanishing Little Brown Bats: A Scientific Mystery by Sandra Markle January 1, 2014

This has been on my to read list since 2014. It's a well written book that talks about what causes white nose syndrome (Pd - Pseudogymnoascus destructans) in little brown bats. It details how scientists identified the cause and what they are doing to try and stop the spread and save these helpful creatures from extinction. It's depressing as heck. Some experts consider white-nose syndrome to be one of the deadliest wildlife diseases in modern times. 
Since this was published in 2014, I did a bit of searching to see what the animal's status is now. It turns out that it attacks other kinds of bats as well. It has spread fast and far in the past decade. In areas where Pd has spread, at least 90% of the bat population has been decimated. In some areas 99% was wiped out. It hasn't reached British Columbia yet, but it's just a matter of time before it arrives here.
On a positive note, it looks like some bats might be genetically resistant to the disease. Whether this will make a difference in the long run, only time will tell.
 
NOVELS


Right from the get go I worried about these children. Upon their emotionally remote grandmother's death, with no one to look after them, three children are evacuated from London to avoid the bombing of WW2. Their lawyer instructs them to keep the secret of their wealth to themselves and see if they can find someone to be their permanent guardian. They go through much hardship before finally finding solace with the local librarian.
I admit that my eyes leaked a bit while reading this.

5 stars

Shadow and Bone
by Leigh Bardugo June 5, 2012

Leigh Bardugo writes fiction that knocks my socks off. Her world building, her characters, and her stories are all compelling. I believe in the reality of her creations.
Shadow and Bone is a story of friendship, love, magic and betrayal. It's about hope, wrenching off the shackles of those who would control you and coming into your own power. I was heartbroken to discover that there is a long line of people ahead of me for the next one in this series.

5 stars

Go Tell It On the Mountain
by James Baldwin & Adam Lazarre-White (Narrator) May 18, 1953

I had almost forgotten how beautiful Baldwin's writing is.
This semi biographical novel shows readers the good and bad of the pentecostal church. On the one hand is the amoral hypocrisy of the leaders and on the other, the inspiration and support of community.  It's a hard read that made me want to weep and scream. There is little of compassion in this book. John Grimes' step father is a church pastor. He's hypocritical and physically and emotionally abusive. 

NON FICTION MEMOIR 

Alexandra Morton, "the Jane Goodall of Canada", started out studying whale communication with no intention of ever becoming an activist. When salmon farms first showed up on British Columbia's coast she was only concerned with how they would affect the behaviour of the orca pods in the area. It was local fishermen coming to her with their concerns about wild salmon that started her on the course of advocating for their survival. She went from being a scientist to becoming a scientist activist. This pitted her against multinational farming consortiums, provincial, and federal governments. This is her story. It's a story of corruption, misinformation and intimidation. It's a story of resilience and hope.
Did you know that the only places left on the planet with healthy wild salmon runs are Alaska and Russia? They are also the only places who have kept salmon farming from their waters. If you care about wild salmon, please purchase and read this book. Donate money to Alexandra Morton so she can continue to advocate for these endangered fish.


DISCWORLD NOVELS

I'm so close to the end of the collection that I am reading the last few slowly and savouring each word. 

CURRENTLY 

This is what I have on the go:
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel 
The Electric War: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse and the Race to Light the World by Mike Winchell
Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

UP NEXT

Love Is A Revolution by Renee Watson
Too Small Tola by Atinuke
The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel 

BLOG POSTS NEXT WEEK

Constellation of the Deep by Benjamin Flouw
We Are All Under One Wide Sky by Deborah Wiles

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 12/25 one in progress

#MustReadNFIn2021 4/12 one in progress

#MustReadPBIn2021 32/100 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 16/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 48/100

Canada Reads 2021 4/5 

Discworld Series 39/41 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 176/333

8 comments:

  1. I hope you like the St. Mandel books. Oh my, there are so many books I know I'd love, like Shadow & Bone - yikes, we may never catch up, Cheriee. I'm glad you liked A Place to Hang the Moon, me, too, along with Outside Inside! Thanks for Out into the Big Wide Lake. My son & wife have good friends who have twin children with Down Syndrome. I've sent a link to them, hope they will be excited. There are so few books about Down Syndrome for kids. Thanks for reminding about the Baldwin title, too. I put it on my list & maybe someday? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am enjoying Station Eleven, but I have mostly been focusing on The Electric War since it has to go back to the library soon.

      Delete
  2. My Day with Gong Gong is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I'm a sucker for stories that celebrate these intergenerational relationships but it sticks up out of the crowd.

      Delete
  3. What a great set of books! Out Into the Big Wide Lake sounds like a wonderful story, and I love that it seems to provide a compassionate (and fun-to-read) portrayal of someone with Down syndrome! Outside, Inside sounds great as well—LeUyen Pham sounds like a force to be reckoned with, considering how much she's illustrated recently! A Place to Hang the Moon sounds great as well. I can't believe you're almost done with Discworld—I haven't read them, but I've gotten so used to seeing your thoughts on one each week! Thanks so much for the great post (and congrats on your new windows)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate from Out Into the Big Wide Lake is a strong girl, aside from the fact that she has down syndrome. LeUyen Pham takes any book she illustrates up to another level.

      Delete
  4. The Shadow and Bones series got me through the early days of the pandemic in 2020. I had read the Six of Crows duology first, and I wish I hadn't. I appreciated it more after finishing the Shadow and Bones trilogy.
    Outside, Inside was just beautiful. I'm looking forward to reading A Place to Hang the Moon. It's in a pile.... one of many piles :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new windows! We have double windows, and some of the seals have broken, allowing moisture in for that cloudy effect you described. Ours all need to be replaced as they are really getting old. Some day!

    I also spent much of the week gardening - our beds are all so weedy, it;s like a jungle out there. I've been trying to weed a bit at a time because my stamina is limited. This weekend, we picked up a LOT of native plants I bought from the local nature center. I spent the past three days weeding, digging, and planting and am soooo worn out now! Still a bit more planting to do (and always more weeding) but the holes are all dug!

    A Place to Hang the Moon sounds wonderful, and I have never read anything by James Baldwin! Definitely a hole in my reading life that I need to take care of!

    I am very late with my visits this week, but I hope you enjoyed your books -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete