Constellation of the Deep by Benjamin Flouw


Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. It will be released June 8, 2021 by Tundra Books. 

Benjamin Flouw highlights the beauty and expansive diversity of the oceans in this informative picture book. 

Fox and his cousin, Wolf, are walking along a beach path. Fox is fascinated by all the plants he finds. A seagull, overhearing their conversation, tells the pair about the Constellation of the Deep, a rare ocean plant. Fox determines to find it. He puts on his diving suit and makes sure to bring his underwater camera. While Wolf is admiring seashore life, Fox heads off into the ocean. He traverses different kinds of ocean habitats. He explores underwater meadows, kelp forests, coral reefs, mountains, deep holes and underwater cliffs. 

He asks different animals about the rare plant and eventually a grouper agrees to show him where it is. 

Whether or not it is the Constellation of the Deep, they certainly discover something. Just when Fox is about to take a picture, he realizes that his camera is missing. 

On his way home, Fox rescues a whale trapped in abandoned fishing nets. In turn the whale helps him return to shore. 

There is much I love about this book. I appreciate the environmental focus. I like the pages of labeled diagrams naming the different plants and animals found in the different habitats. 

On my first read I was a bit distracted by Fox's journey from a kelp forest found in cooler waters, to a coral reef found in much warmer temperatures. As soon as I let go of this quibble, I appreciated Fox's fantastical journey across and into the different oceans of the world. I ended up admiring how much the author teaches us about ocean stewardship in this picture book. 

Benjamin Flouw states that he begins by sketching out ideas and then finishes them up in photoshop. He mixes geometric shapes, patterns, textures and light to create images that range from peaceful to dramatic. 

I discovered that this is a sequel to The Golden Glow, a story of Fox heading out on a search for a rare land plant. Alas my library doesn't carry it, but I found this video of someone reading it.

I wonder where Benjamin Flouw will send Fox next?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment