#IMWAYR April 12, 2021

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


It was cold last week,  but I managed to finish weeding all the garden beds. Compost is spread over the vegetable patch. Monday (today) we will rototill it in and then go for another load of compost. Some will go in the remainder of our gardens and the rest will go to the neighbours. I've managed to get the grape and flowering bushes pruned. It's all just in time because many of the seeds I planted with my grandkids are ready to get transplanted into real dirt. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

BLOG POSTS FROM LAST WEEK


Thao
by Thao Lam

PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars

Pierre & Paul: Avalanche! Caroline Adderson & Alice Carter (Illustrator)  🍁 March 15th 2020
This was delightful! It's the story of two boys who head off on an adventure, but then the two explorers become hungry. They return to Pierre's house. Paul does not want salad so they end up making a magnificent mountain of a sandwich. When it ends up collapsing, they have to eat it out of a large bowl.
The book is written with English and French mixed together. Although sometimes I had to dig into my highschool French, for the most part, the meaning of the French vocabulary is accessible from the context of the story and illustrations. I appreciate that it wasn't a huge struggle and can see that this book (and hopefully there will be more in the series) is ideal for French immersion and French as a second language learners.

5 stars

Over the Shop
by JonArno Lawson & Qin Leng (illustrator) 🍁 January 5, 2021

This is a book you want to pore over a couple of times at least. It is so richly nuanced and detailed that you need at least two go throughs to begin to appreciate it fully. You also need time. Don't rush to finish it.
On my first read I just grasped the story. The second time I reveled in the little details. One of my favourites is the maple leaf on the syrup jug when the young girl and her grandmother are eating pancakes. It shouts out, I am Canadian!

Over the Shop is about acceptance and transformation. A girl and her grandmother live behind their small grocery store. The apartment above them is vacant, but needs a lot of work. Many people come to view it, but no one wants to rent it. Then an energetic young couple arrive and with the help of the girl, mange to improve the place. At the same time as they transform the apartment, they manage to transform their community.

5 stars

Thao
by Thao Lam 🍁 April 21, 2021

The author writes about her experiences growing up with a different sounding name. It's an important book that teaches readers awareness and empathy. It encourages other new immigrants to take pride in their own names and identity. To see more images from it, check out my full blog post here


A young boy travels with his Moshom (Grandfather) to visit the family trapline. On the journey he learns more about his Moshom and his culture. Julie Flett's artword is spectacular. I expect this one to win awards. To see more images from it, check out my full blog post here

NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars

Kou-skelowh - We are the people : a trilogy of Okanagan legends
 by Barbara Marchand (illustrator) 🍁 most recent edition: 2017

I wanted to know more about the Syilx, the indigenous people who live in the part of Canada where I grew up and have returned to. This bilingual trilogy is written in both Syilx and English. It includes: How Food Was Given, How Names Were Given, and How Turtle Set the Animals Free. Barbara Marchand's illustrations bring the tales to life. 
The story of how these three origin stories came to be is as interesting as the stories themselves. Syilx elders were an integral part of the process from start to finish. Two of their criteria were that the stories remain unauthored, and that a profit not be made from them. 

NOVELS

5 stars

The Rose Code
 by Kate Quinn 
Mar 09, 2021

Kate Quinn writes brilliant historical fiction. I devoured the 600 pages of this book in two afternoon & evening sessions of reading. It is a compelling story of three  women from different backgrounds who become friends while working at Bletchley Park in the UK. I loved these characters. I wept for them, I feared for them and I celebrated with them. I loved learning about life at Bletchley Park during the war. In the author's note at the end of the book, Quinn talks about the real women her fictional characters are based on. It was as fascinating and satisfying as the book itself. 


Omakayas and her family receive warning that they must leave their home. This novel takes place just before the migration begins. Omakayas grows and matures while a group of men head off to collect what is owed to them after signing a treaty with white people. I loved the complex relationships between the siblings. While they are often frustrated with each other, there is also a lot of love.

3.5 stars

Amari and the Night Brothers
by B.B. Alston & Imani Parks (Narrator) Jan 19, 2021

Amari's older brother, Quinton, has been missing for a while, so when she receives an unexpected package from him, she follows his instructions. Soon she's enrolled in a paranormal school and training to be a Supernatural Investigator. She just has to pass a series of three tests and not let the fact that she is a magician get her disqualified.
I liked lots about this book. I like that Amari's skin colour and her family's financial situation are dealt with realistically and provide a connection to the ordinary reality of kids like her today. I liked her relationship with Elise and even Dylan. I liked the complexity of some of the 'evil' characters. I liked the integration of all the mythical creatures.
I had a hard time with all the bullying stuff. I just don't like books that have this as an issue, especially when those characters are never shown to be much more than empty antagonists. I really hate to see girls in these kinds of situations when what I want to see and modelled is cooperation between them.
I anticipated the final betrayal, but won't spoil it for the rest of you who haven't read it.

This hilarious novel is a parody of football (soccer) and the world of sports. Like all of Pratchett work it’s full of important messages about living a good life and getting along with others. With the introduction of Mr Nutt, (a goblin) he forces us to examine stereotypes and the issue of inclusion vs exclusion. I like how this book introduces us to the ordinary people who 'work downstairs'. I especially appreciate that it is these ordinary folk who end up saving the day for the wizards. Glenda is one of my new Pratchett heroes. 

CURRENTLY 

This is what I have on the go:

The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice by Mahogany L. Browne, Elizabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood & Theodore Taylor III (Illustrations), 
The King of Jam Sandwiches by Eric Walters
Making Money by Terry Pratchett

UP NEXT

My next audiobook will be Starfish by Lisa Fipps
I plan to start 
Apple: Skin to the Core by Eric Gansworth
My goal is to read and review two Netgalley titles: Alice Fleck's Recipes for Disaster by Rachelle Delaney & ROAR-chestra! by Robert Heidbreder. 

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2021 7/25 one in progress

#MustReadNFIn2021 3/12 one in progress

#MustReadPBIn2021 22/100 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 14/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 32/100

Canada Reads 2021 3/5 

Discworld Series 38/41 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 136/333  

7 comments:

  1. I've been seeing The Rose Code all over the place lately. I haven't read any of the author's books, but I've heard a lot of people say they enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved everything of hers so far. Kate Quinn writes brilliant historical fiction!

      Delete
  2. I love Kate Quinn's books & The Rose Code not only had a terrific plot & set of characters but I learned a lot about Bletchley Park, too! I loved Over the Shop - so great, mysterious, & you definitely want to look & look. Hooray, my library has Thao! I have checked about the others, like Avalanche, but I will! Enjoy that gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! I really enjoyed Erdrich's Birchback House. She's an incredible writer. Your picture books sound lovely. My mom is a retired French teacher, so Paul and Pierre caught my eye. And the Trapline sounds so beautiful. And the Okanagan one! I grew up in Washington, so I'm somewhat familiar with the U.S side of that range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Okanagan is gorgeous no matter what side of the border you are on! I agree with you about Erdrich's writing so far. I've only read two of her books. It would be fascinating to read these at the same time as reading Little House on the Prairie, or have two groups reading one of the series and then have a collective discussion comparing them.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your gardening is going well, and these books look wonderful! Thao sounds excellent, especially after looking at the images in your other post—it's really nice to see more books encouraging people to respect the names of others. Kou-Skelowh sounds great as well, and I've seen tons of praise for Amari and the Night Brothers! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, so many fun picture books! Paul and Pierre looks especially good.

    I haven't read a Kate Quinn novel yet (!! I know!) but I keep hearing such good things - I really need to get to one of them soon.

    And a Louise Erdrich novel I haven't read yet! Looks like it's part of a series of 4, and I haven't even heard of these before - something to look forward to! Thanks for the heads up.

    Hope you are enjoying your books this week, too.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete