#IMWAYR March 15, 2021

 Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


Imagine a string of bad words here.

My previously damaged knee has started acting up again. Actually it's now screaming at me to keep off it. I am missing my daily walks, but acknowledge that if I had listened to my body when the trouble started, things would not have gotten to this point. I'm waiting for an appointment with a physiotherapist and hoping to get a proper knee brace so I can resume roaming around the countryside. On a positive note, I got more reading done with my eyes last week. 

The Canada Reads debate was last week. In some years it has seemed like the debate focuses on winning as the most important thing. This year it felt like celebrating the books was primary and winning was of secondary importance. It was a glorious conversation about each of the books. The winner this year is Jonny Appleseed. It's the first time an Indigenous, queer, two spirited author, represented at the debate by another Indigenous queer has ever won. Of the three books I've read, I liked it best. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian or Indigenous Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

BLOG POSTS FROM LAST WEEK

Call Me Indian: From the Trauma of Residential School to Becoming the NHL's First Treaty Indigenous Player by Fred Sasakamoose


PICTURE BOOKS

5 stars

The Suitcase
by Chris Naylor-Ballesteros

This is an allegory about refugees and how we respond to them. It will wow you. 
A strange creature arrives in the forest with a suitcase. It has gone through a traumatic journey to get here. The other animals are suspicious and don't believe his fantastical story of what's in the suitcase. When the exhausted animal falls asleep, they break it open only to discover that a version of the creature's truth is in there. They discover that this being is not so different from them, and go out of their way to fix what what was broken. This kindness at the end almost made my eyes water.
I only wish more adults would read picture books like this.


Aaron @ Wriggling Bookworms suggested I read this. I'm glad he did.

A ponderosa pine grows into maturity not far from where I grew up and now live. The history of the Syilx, the original people here, unfolds over time as the tree grows and thrives. Each two page spread contains images of the landscape and people with information about the pine and events of the time. It takes us to 2007 with the land recovering from an extensive wildfire. The pine didn't survive that conflagration.
The back matter contains a timeline of events; additional illustrated information about the Syilx people, their experiences with the land and white invaders; the history of the white settlers; a map of the area; an index and a page of acknowledgements.
I appreciated how much I learned about the Syilx population and their relationship to this land and the wild horses that still roam in their territory. (I've seen remnants of them in the country around where I live.) 
Some bits and pieces articulate the stark difference between the Syilx cultural ways of knowing the world and the settler perspective. First, "Overall wealth and economy were based on the health of the surrounding environment. If the land, resources, and water were healthy and all the of the people were being taken care of, then the community was recognized as wealthy. While recognizing the idea of wealth and having possessions, Syilx people considered the greatest wealth to be knowing how to use resources in the most respectful manner." Second, The Syilx called the sacred spirit of Okanagan Lake, nx̌aʔx̌ʔitkʷ. White settlers changed the name to Ogopogo and called it a lake monster.
As a nonfiction picture book this is very text heavy. This makes it a starter book for intermediate and older readers interested in learning more about the area.
My only concern about Growing Up In Wild Horse Canyon, it that it is not an own voices book. I appreciate the researched information and admire how Loraine Kemp's illustrations portray this country that I love. But still, neither the author or the illustrator are Syilx. Before purchasing it for a school library, first I would see if there are books by Sylix authors sharing their perspectives of our shared history. 


It's easy to understand why this won the Caldecott prize this year. It is exquisitely written and illustrated. The relationship between the two is seamless. My wish for this book is that it motivates all of us to become water protectors.

5 stars

Beatrix Potter's Countryside
by Linda Elovitz Marshall & Ilaria Urbinati (Illustrations)

This book gave me all the feels.
I kept wondering if I had read it before since so much of it felt familiar. Then I realised it was from watching the Miss Potter movie. (I don't think I finished it, but I might now.)
Reading this I learned how Potter, who grew up in a traditional household, overcame the restrictions of her time: initially by self publishing her first books and taking control of her own copyright, and second, by purchasing land by herself. Seeing that the pastoral landscape of the lakes district was in danger of industrial development, she continued purchasing farms all around her. Upon her death, she bestowed it to a land trust.
I appreciate how she was able to use her own privilege and money to make life better for ordinary people in her community.

5 stars

I Talk Like a River
by Jordan Scott & Sydney Smith (Contributor) 🍁

I now understand why this book won the Schneider Family Book Award. Sydney Smith's art is the ultimate compliment to Jordan Scott's words. In my teaching career I only had one student who stuttered. He also had Tourette's syndrome. I wish this book had been around then. It is a mirror that let me know what it is like to deal with disfluency. I could feel my mouth trying to get those P, C and M sounds out.
Both of the creators of this beautiful book are Canadian.  

This is an essential book. That it's beautifully written and illustrated serves to underscore the unspeakable horror of the event. In 1921 a white mob attacked and destroyed the thriving black community of Tulsa, Oklahoma. This picture book is an important introduction to this episode in history and a lead in to doing more research.

GRAPHIC NOVELS


Beetle and Kat were once best friends. Then Kat went away to witch school and seemed to forget Beetle. Meanwhile Beetle has been learning goblin magic from her aunt and hanging out with Blob Ghost who is tethered to a local mall. Kat is apprenticed to learn magic with her Aunt Hollowbone. They return home because her aunt wants to tear down the mall and rebuild her family's estate on the land.
This is a coming of age book. It's about friendship and finding your own magic.
While I liked the story line, I had a hard time with the art in this one. It felt too busy and I was challenged to make sense of what was going on.
The Mighty Muskrats are on the case again! A memory bundle goes missing during The National Assembly of Cree Peoples being held at the fictional Windy Lake First Nation. The four cousins, Chickadee, Atim, Otter, and Sam, work with their Uncle Levi, the local band constable, to rescue it before the assembly is over. To find out  more about why I love this series, go and read my full review here

5 stars

The Sea in Winter
by Christine Day & Kimberly Woods (Narrator)

Maisie Cannon's sanctuary is  the ballet studio. Unfortunately, she damaged her knee in a fall, and is unable to dance. Her grief and loss interfere with her academic success. Her knee might be improving, but she's not able to dance yet. The pain continues, but she ignores it. On a hiking vacation with her family she damages it again. Recovery is harder as she comes to understand that she might never dance again.
Maisie has a loving supportive family even if they don't quite understand what she is going through at first. When they do, they ensure she gets the emotional support she needs. Her little brother is adorable and the relationship between the siblings is tender and sweet. I appreciated the integration of Makah culture into the book. I remember the furor around the resuming of traditional whaling.
A few days before reading this book my previously damaged knee began screaming at me. As I read about Maisie's pain, I was right there with her.
Christine Day sure can write.  

POETRY


I took my time with these poems, letting them sit with me before going on to another. They are not comfortable to read. Each one speaks to experiences I have been privileged not to have to endure. In my career I taught children like Joshua and had hints of this life. I wish I had read his poems about life and school then. 
Joshua Jordan spent his early years in and out of foster homes. Terrible things happened to him there. When he was twelve, he woke up one morning and his mother was dead. More tragedy ensued before he ended up living with a woman who became his new mother and is helping him heal. Love, fear, and grief are constant themes in this collection of poetry that he wrote these he was only sixteen! Joshua Jordan is an indigenous author to keep your eye on.

MEMOIR

I had a bit of a difficult time getting into this. I listened to it read by author, but she was not the problem. It might be that I was listening while I was out walking and was experiencing knee pain. It was also difficult to take in her rich descriptive passages of a rainforest I've never been too, while roaming around in a semi desert land.
When the narrative focused more on her family and their history in China and Taiwan, I became hooked. By the end I was loving her integration of family history and their environment.

3.5 stars

Untamed
by Glennon Doyle

A friend recommended this book to me. There are parts that didn't work for me, but I hope that now that I am nearing 70, I can acknowledge that different people come to being the best person they can be in their own way. This is the first Glennon Doyle book I've read. I appreciate her honesty. I like that she makes mistakes, acknowledges them, and tries to do better.
I hope that white women will learn from the debacle she writes about with respect to her attempt to teach other white women about their own racism. The book, Your Brain on Stereotypes, explains research looking at the difference between what we know is right and our actual behaviour. We know we shouldn't be racist, so we assert we're not, but mostly our actions show that we are. All we can do is acknowledge this, learn more, support BIPOC women emotionally and financially, and do our utmost to be better allies.
There are a few flippant moments here, like when she claims to have let her third child raise herself with an ipad. I assumed that was a kind of metaphor for doing much more hands off parenting. While it wasn't the smartest remark, I think anyone with more than one kid lets go of control. Parenting is the hardest work we do. Nobody gets it right all the time. I appreciated her models for when it does.
I've read negative comments about the religious aspects to this work. I left the Catholic church in my teens when I discovered feminism. Just about everyone I still know who stayed, has transformed their idea of 'godness'. It seems like this is what has happened to Doyle. I wish her well but won't read more. 

DISCWORLD NOVELS


This is one of the Discworld books I know I will be reading again. Moist Van Lipwig is a conman who has been rescued from hanging by Lord Vetinari, ruler of Ankh-Morpork. All Moist has to do is take over and get the abandoned post office running again. In this case, Moist learns to use his talent as a conman to out con the most nefarious capitalist in the city and ends up in love with a golem rights activist.
I love that this book illuminates and pokes fun at the evils and ridiculousness of neoliberal capitalism and the Ayn Rand books.

CURRENTLY 

This is what I currently have on the go:
My Body in Pieces by Marie-Noëlle Hébert (from Netgalley)
Willie: The Game-Changing Story of the NHL's First Black Player by Willie O'Ree
The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich

UP NEXT

I plan to get to the last half the picture books piling up. I will
 read and review a NetGalley title, Butterflies Are Pretty ... Gross! by Rosemary Mosco.  I'll start listening to Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor.  I hope one of the audiobook Discworld titles I have on hold become available. 

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS 

#MustReadIn2021 6/25 

#MustReadNFIn2021 2/12 

#MustReadPBIn2021 17/100

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors

Books by Canadian Authors: 24/100

Canada Reads 2021 3/5 

Discworld Series 32/41 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 100/333 

8 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've put in place another security for your comments, but my comment disappeared earlier. Here it is again. Feel free to delete if it's #2! Wow, you did read a lot. Sorry about your knee! Wishing you a fast recovery! I'm glad you liked The Suitcase, which I thought was really terrific! As I also thought but even more serious, like you, everyone needs to read Unspeakable, so very tragic & the fact that's it's been little known all these years. I had to turn The Sea in Winter back before reading, hoping I can get it again soon. And I will definitely get Shopping Cart Boy. I didn't know about it, Cheriee. Thank you for sharing it & all the others! Best wishes for that knee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first learned about Tulsa in Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson. It seems like there is more and more about it these days. Thank Goodness.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your knee—I hope it heals up quickly! We Are Water Protectors and I Talk Like a River both sound very deserving of their awards. Unspeakable and The Suitcase sound great as well, as does The Sea in Winter. I really loved Beetle & the Hollowbones, so I'm glad you got a chance to read it—I do agree that the art can be very confusing on occasion (particularly on the two-page spreads where you have to read across both pages instead of each one separately—that threw me off). Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding Beetle & the Hollowbones, I think kids will like it, but after reading all the Cybils Graphic novel finalists, I now expect more from them.

      Delete
  3. How fantastic that you had so many 4 and 5 star reads this week, Cheriee! Weeks like that are a treasure, for me. I enjoyed three of the books from your reading list, this week, so I'm hunting down others. It sounds like your experience with Untamed wasn't quite what you'd hoped. I've had it repeatedly recommended by people I generally admire, so I still hope to squeeze it in at some point to see what tidbits might be helpful for me. I've been eyeing Akata Witch for quite some time. I'll be interested to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am loving Akata Witch.
      Untamed was one of those book I crowd sourced from my #MustRead list this year. I'm not really a self help kind of reader, although I enjoy Brene Brown.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your knee. It's no fun being out of commission, regardless of the extra reading done!
    I just read about Unspeakable on Earl's blog too. So much praise for this book. I have it borrowed on Hoopla so I have to read it digitally. I wish I had it in front of me. I would prefer to be holding the book but I didn't know if I would use it, if the content would be too heavy for 8 and 9 year old readers. Will get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can completely relate to your frustration about your knee. I have been running again and it was all going very well until my knee that was injured years ago started acting up. I think I caught it soon enough, but I was also staying off of it for a while and it is frustrating for sure! Thank you for sharing about Jonny Appleseed. I am definitely going to go find that book. I also am interested in the Mighty Muskrats series and Shopping Cart Boy sounds like a must read. I appreciate seeing all of these books by indigenous people. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete