#IMWAYR December 6, 2020

  Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

Whoot whoot! I accomplished another of my reading goals this week!! I've read 25 books by Canadian Indigenous authors. (I might end up reading more since I have three titles in a pile from the library)

Our house renovations continue. Now that the electrical stuff is dealt with in our main bathroom, my partner is busy mudding and sanding. As soon as this is done I will go in and start painting and get the tile in while he works on the medicine cabinet. If the Gods and Goddesses are with us, we should have it all finished by next week. After this we will clean the house and take a break until after the winter holidays are over. 

I've just started making some Christmas placemats to give away for Christmas, (if they turn out.) They are supposed to be a fast project. We shall see. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars

Eric
by Shaun Tan

This is a sweet story from Shaun Tan's Tales from Outer Suburbia collection I read it from Netgalley. Now I want to read them all. 

It is about a family that hosts a foreign student. Eric, (his real name is too hard for them to pronounce,) is a lovely little character even if he doesn't fit into the family's expectation of normal. Any contrast to their way of knowing the world is attributed to cultural difference. Readers are only aware of Eric's perspective through the images. 

I've read this through at least three times and am still struggling to come up with words to explain the aching emotional response I'm left with.

GRAPHIC NOVELS

5 stars

Flamer
 by Mike Curato

This is heart wrenchingly brilliant! Mike Curato is a well known picture book author and illustrator for the Little Elliot series. He grew up in a Catholic home. This fictional graphic memoir, inspired by his own life, is about coming to accept being queer, for which, according to the church, he would burn in hell.

This book resonated in me for all kinds of reasons. From the cultural references I assume that Aiden would have been about the same age as my sons. I came to love this character as much as I loved my sons' friends.  I grew up in a Catholic household so I understand the religious references all too well. I abandoned the church for all kinds of reasons, but for me it was primarily when, as a teen, I discovered feminism. My mother and mother in law used to ask me if I would ever come back to the church. I would respond, "When women become priests and my queer friends can get married in it."

NONFICTION

5 stars

Turtle Island
 by Eldon Yellowhorn and Kathey Lowinger
 🍁

This book tells the history of the people in North and Central America centuries before Europeans arrived. Readers learn about these people  through the results of different kinds of archaeological research, artwork, myths, oral storytelling and imagining. 
It includes different origin tales from across the different regions and peoples. I knew there were a great many different nations living on this land, but I really appreciated learning more about who they were and how they survived. I was fascinated by the canals of the Hohokam who created verdant gardens out in the desert. I had no idea about the city of Cahokia on the Mississippi River. The inhabitants of Cahokia, the largest city north of Mexico, created numerous clay mounds that were used for multiple purposes.
Did you know that the people of Mesoamerica wrote books? When the Spanish arrived they burned whole libraries of them down.
The latter part of the book deals with the tragedies following first contact with Europeans after 1492.

This should be in every school library across the continent. 

NOVELS


I adored this book so much. I don't have the self discipline that Shaye has to savour it in small amounts. I devoured it. That said, no sooner did I finish it, I started it all over again. 
It feels eerily prescient to our present day circumstances given that Nevermoor is in the middle of a pandemic and that a certain group of citizens face racism. 
Jessica Townsend's world building is bloody brilliant. The Gobleian Library is probably not a place I would want to work in, but I sure would love to stay at the Hotel Deucalion. 
Now that I'm done I'm left with so many questions careening around in my head. I want desperately to have a conversation with someone about this. What is going on with Ezra Squall? Is he really as evil as Morrigan has been led to believe? Does he have a new strategy to get Morrigan to be his apprentice? With the corruption and manipulation of community leaders, what is the real truth behind what happened a century ago? 

If you are looking for a series to give to a kid in your life, look no further.


Sometimes I forget how much I adore really good realistic MG fiction. Then I read a title like this, experience the satisfaction of a tale well told, and remember all over again.
Amelia Peabody's older sister died in a tragic boating accident three years earlier than this novel takes place. She's still struggling with grief when she ends with a letter written by her sister outlining her goals and dreams. Amelia decides to accomplish them for her. The goals are pretty ordinary, but in the process of achieving them, Amelia initiates changes in her life. She ends up making new friends, gets to understand her old ones better, and starts on the road to healing.
The adults in this novel are realistic individuals who do their best to support the young people in their care. I especially appreciated Amelia's parents who struggle with their own grief, but are there for her when she needs them. 

DISCWORLD NOVELS


The Discworld collection is a compendium of mini series set in Pratchett's world. I recently found this image for helping keep track of them all. 

 4 stars
  
Guards! Guards! 
by Terry Pratchett & Nigel Planer (Narrator)

When a secret society conjures up a dragon in Ankh-Morpork, it's up to Vimes and the rest of his City Watch crew to figure out how to get rid of it. In the middle of it, romance blossoms. 

I am infatuated with these earlier works of Pratchett. I read Thud (a later book in this mini series) ages ago, but now I'm now looking forward to reading more books about Vimes and the rest of the City Watch.

CURRENTLY 

I'm listening to Three Keys by Kelly Yang narrated by Sunny Lu. I'm rereading Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer, a book club title. I've also got The World of Poo by Terry Pratchett on the go. The other Discworld book I'm into is Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett narrated by Nigel Planer.

UP NEXT 

My next audiobook will be A History of My Brief Body by Billy Rae Belcourt. I'm planning to read On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous Ocean Vuong and Leggings Revolt by Monique Polak. I also hope to get to Give and Take by Elly Swartz so I can complete another of my reading goals. 

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS 

#MustReadIn2020: 24/25

#MustReadNFIn2020: 11/12 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 25/25  

Books by Canadian Authors: 125/100 

Discworld Series 14/41 - two in progress

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 319/333 

12 comments:

  1. You are definitely going to hit your 2020 goals! That's a lot of different challenges. I am not that organized. I think we would see eye to eye on some issues-- I have attended the Church of the Sunday Paper for years for many similar reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up listening to CBC radio instead of attending church. I have found that focusing on reading specific kinds of books help me read more thoughtfully. I've also discovered authors who I might have overlooked otherwise.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of books, especially in your Goodreads Reading Challenge! I admire you for reading so much. My younger son read and loved many Discworld books, but I have yet to read one. Adding to the ever-growing TBR list. Definitely adding FROM ME TO YOU to my list too. That's exactly the kind of book I enjoy reading!

    And I'm fascinated that the people of Mesoamerica wrote books! How horrible that the Spanish burned them all! Thanks for the informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. I recommend starting with the Tiffany Aching or Pratchett's Witches series. I actually started reading him after I finished Nation, a non Discworld title of his. Everything of his I have read is full of important truths all the while making me laugh.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I read Nation by Terry Pratchett! I loved that book. I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for the recommendations.

      Delete
  3. I had Flamer & had to turn it back to the library before reading it. Piles of great titles make me happy but I am not reading fast enough! I noted the Holt book, loved House Arrest, and also Turtle Island, Cheriee. They all sound good, & then, like Shaye, your praise of the Evermoor books are convincing me I'd better get started! I love hearing all about your 'projects'. Enjoy that bathroom when done! And have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really sad Linda. I have had to return many of mine as well.
      I enthusiastically encourage you to read the Nevermoor series. The worldbuilding is spectacular.

      Delete
  4. I literally have no idea why I don't own Flamer, as it sounds excellent; also, your comeback to your family about Catholicism is spot-on! I'm reading Hollowpox right now—it is so awesome! I'm glad you've gotten to enjoy it as well. From You to Me sounds excellent as well! Good luck with your renovations, and thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flamer is indeed excellent. It's making it onto all kinds of best of the year lists. I'll be looking forward to reading your response to Hollowpox next week!

      Delete
  5. You and Shaye are making sure I put the Nevermoor books in my pile!
    I also adored Flamer. Everything was perfect. Hoping to hear its name during the January awards!

    ReplyDelete