#IMWAYR November 9, 2020

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

Congratulations to all my American friends on a successful election. We celebrate with you, not only the first Black woman vice president, the first woman vice president! The days ahead might be rocky and there is a lot of work ahead to unity your fractured country, but for now we are revelling in the victory of democracy in your country. You have returned hope to many of us in the rest of the world. 

I'm working hard to finish up a quilt for my son and daughter in law. Using a quilt as you go process, I'm turning a Piet Mondrian painting into a reversible quilt. I'm now putting all the sections together. It's a lot of hand sewing for the final seam in each sashing. I'm getting a sense of what it will look like finished and am liking it more and more. I will post pictures next week.

 Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book. 

RECENT BLOG POSTS

PICTURE BOOKS


My Hair is Beautiful
by Shauntay Grant
 🍁

This board book highlights different hairdos of black children. The last page has an embedded mirror for readers to look at themselves. I might not be the target audience, but looking at the faces of these happy toddlers brought joy into my heart. Shauntay Grant is the award winning Canadian author of Africville and Up Home.


I am trying to get on top of this series. What a wacky and wonderful collaboration between Arthur Yorinks and Sergio Ruzzier. When Mean Ant ends up lost in the middle of the desert and asks, "Where the jalapeño am I?, I started laughing and chuckled all the way through to the end. I love the hilarious idioms and play on words. The comical interactions between the ant and the fly are delightful. If only my library had the next one.

NONFICTION PICTURE BOOKS


I'm Trying to Love Rocks
by Bethany Barton

This humorous book introduces young readers to the many aspects of studying geology. I sure wish it had been around when I was teaching this topic. If I was still in the library I would purchase 2 copies. 

Bethany Barton's earlier book, I'm Trying to Love Spiders, helped me come to some kind of truce with those creatures. While people might not have pathological fears to overcome with regards to rocks, this book is certain to make them passionate about learning more about them. 

It is a brilliant introduction for older readers ready for a deeper study these aspects. I'm pretty sure that my four year old grandson, who loves rocks, will love this.

DISCWORLD NOVELS


This novel is both a murder mystery and parody of opera. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Og head off to Ankh-Morpork for a couple of reasons. The first is to deal with a shady publisher who has cheated Nanny Og. The second is to see if they can recruit Agnes Nit into their coven since Magrat Garlick has gone off and married the King of Lancre. Agnes knows their purpose, but is almost content at the opera house as a member of the chorus. Not only is the opera house haunted, the ghost has started murdering people. 
This might be one of the most hilarious novels in the series.  


Carpe Jugulum
 by Terry Pratchett & Nigel Planer (Narrator)

"Terry Pratchett pastiches the traditions of vampire literature" with hilarious results. When a group of modernized Vampires take over Lancre Castle, things look very dire indeed. Even the powerful Granny Weatherwax seems incapable of dealing with them. However, Granny's strength should never be underestimated. With the help of Brother Oats, the new priest, she is a force even Vampires shouldn't try to mess with.

NONFICTION


This is a powerful look at what it means to have PTSD. Roméo Dallaire, a retired three star Canadian general and retired Senator, writes about the aftermath of his time in Rwanda. As leader of the peacekeeping troops there, he was unable to stop the genocide of the Tutsi and other people in 1994.

What Delaire makes clear in this book is that war is not what it once was: “The soldiers had changed, as had war itself: it was no longer a matter of superpowers meeting each other on the field of battle, but the new world disorder. We were Cold War warriors ready to fight huge armoured forces in Central Europe, hoping that these small, inter-state kerfuffles were just a passing phase. But we were no longer facing classic war, or even classic peacekeeping: in this new style of warfare civilians, even women and children, are not only on the front line, they are the front line. The Somalia mission was able to degenerate the way it did because our training had not adapted to these new realities.”

Not only does this book reveal how he deals with his own PTSD, it chronicles the ways he fought, and continues to fight for help for soldiers returning from recent conflict. In Canada, “We have lost more veterans to suicide during and since our mission in Afghanistan than we did in our thirteen years of combat there.”

If we truly claim to honor our soldiers and others who deal with traumatic experiences (police, ambulance, firefighters etc) then it is our duty to ensure that they are well cared for, emotionally, physically, and financially when they can no longer serve.

This is a challenging emotional read. I wept a number of times. 


This is a powerful read that looks at America through the lens of a caste system. Isabel Wilkerson compares the USA to India and Nazi Germany. (Did you know that the German Nuremberg Laws were based on the segregation laws of the Southern states?) There are sections in this book I found challenging to read. I took breaks and went back to it because essentially it is bearing witness to historic atrocities.  
I read and finished this while Americans and the world waited for the results of the 2020 US election results. While I am happy with the results, after reading this, I'm also not surprised that 70 million people, almost all of them white, (five million more than last time) voted for that orange menace. 
I learned a lot from this book. I can't help but integrate the role global unfettered capitalism has in exacerbating the deep rooted issues Wilkerson identified here.


An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff, Alex Tresniowski & Pam Ward (Narrator)

I mostly enjoyed this feel good story. I appreciated the author's honesty and enjoyed reading about her early life. It was in her interactions with Maurice that I became uncomfortable. I don't think she fully grasped the responsibility she took on when she befriended this young boy. She acknowledges that it benefited her as much as him, but at the same time, once she found the man of her dreams, she very nearly abandoned him. 
I was glad that the afterward includes a letter from Maurice sharing his perspective of their relationship. In spite of my misgivings, I am glad that these two disparate people met.

CURRENTLY 

I've started Ghosts by David A Robertson. I'm listening to Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. 

UP NEXT 

My next audiobook will be Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi. I'm hoping to get to Class Act by Jerry Craft and Bloom by Kenneth Oppel.  

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS 

#MustReadIn2020: 21/25 

#MustReadNFIn2020: 10/12 

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 21/25 one in progress

Books by Canadian Authors: 121/100 

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 291/333

15 comments:

  1. Interesting assortment of books! I really should get back into reading picture books. They are so creative. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read as many picture books as I once did, but I'm always delighted and inspired by them when I do.

      Delete
  2. Well you know I like the "Mean Ant" books, such fun to read. I like your reviews of Waiting for First Light & certainly need to read Caste. There is much for the US to do to make things better & different! But I was celebrating on Saturday - whew. What a week! Your quilt sounds beautiful, Cheriee. I hope you share a pic when done! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for reminding me of the 'Mean Ant' books. I especially loved that poor mean ant had that piece of pine needle stuck in him. Its a brilliant analogy for how the pain people carry with them can turn them into cranky beings. I'm looking forward to seeing if getting rid of it transforms Mean Ant.

      Delete
  3. I've been curious about the I'm Trying Love books. And Caste has definitely been on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have enjoyed the I'm Trying books. I think Caste should be on everyone's must read list.

      Delete
  4. I heard the outcome of the election while driving and let me tell you, there was a lot of yelling and clapping! So hopeful for our future!
    The Mean Ant books are a hoot! And yes, so fun to read out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the celebration in America when the results became official. There was celebrating here in Canada for you all.
      I have become a Mean Ant fan!

      Delete
  5. I've been reading Caste. I like it - it's giving me a lot of insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a powerful book. Like you, I got a lot of insight. I'll be looking forward to reading what you think of it.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I want to see your Piet Mondrian quilt next week—I have a Piet Mondrian print hanging on my wall! And yes, I was thrilled to see the election results—I hope Biden can bring more of our nation together, bit by bit, during his presidency (although who knows if that will happen). My Hair is Beautiful looks excellent, as does I'm Trying to Love Rocks! I haven't read Caste, but I know people who have really liked it and also enjoyed Wilkerson's book The Warmth of Other Suns—have you read that one? Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Warmth of Other Suns is on my list, but someone in my boo kclub mentioned Caste and then it was available. I will absolutely read her first book now.

      Delete
  7. "Where the jalapeno am I?" That makes me laugh!

    My Hair is Beautiful sounds like a wonderful book. As a White woman with really curly hair, I've struggled with accepting my curls (and with classmates teasing me about them when I was in school). How nice to start teaching that self-acceptance and affirmation to children when they're young.

    Waiting for First Light sounds like a powerful book. I lost one of my best friends, a veteran, to suicide five years ago. My husband is a paramedic and suicide rates among his peers and co-workers are astronomical. I hope people suffering from PTSD read this book and seek out help.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt sounds amazing.

    I've only read the Tiffany Aching books in the Discworld series. I think I've been holding the rest of the series as a treat for myself sometime in the future. Pratchett makes me laugh so much. Perhaps now is the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining us in celebrating! It's been heartening to see the whole world celebrate with us. Now comes the hard part - somehow bringing this highly fractured country back together.

    I've been hearing such good things about Caste. I'm just finishing White Trash, which seems like it's very much the same - talking about the history of class in our supposedly "classless society." And, as you said, I can't help to apply all of that history to our current world, where - as the author says in her last chapter - an entire group in society are voting against their own best interests. It's been eye-opening. My book group was just talking about Caste, so I;m sure we'll be reading it soon, too.

    I'm late with my visits, but I hope you've enjoyed your books this week!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete