#IMWAYR September 14, 2020

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


We took a break from canning and renovating last week and headed off into wilderness with a couple of friends. We got back late Sunday afternoon after three glorious nights right by the East Kettle River. The evening sky was full of stars and bats. I managed to settle down and read two novels. I'm nearly done another. Our campsite, as you can see from the photograph below, was as close to heaven as can be. Sure it was cold at night, but with these kinds of vistas, you can't complain about a small thing like that. 


We went swimming here. Actually we got in, got wet and got out. The water was so cold, we couldn't get used to it. Our limbs just went numb. 

We arrived home to a dense haze of smoke. The air is bordering between unhealthy and very unhealthy according to IQ Air Map. Luckily we have air conditioning and hepa filters so that I can breathe and my asthma doesn't get out of control. I still hate not being able to breathe in fresh air. 

Next week we are out camping again and then off to meet my new granddaughter in person so I won't be able to post an update. 

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator. 

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

NOVELS


4 stars
Wild Bird
 by Wendelin Van Draanen & Alex McKenna (Narrator)

Aside from the romanticized Native Americans, there were many things I liked about this book. Had I read Debbie Reese's comments before reading it, I probably would have taken a pass on it. You can read her post about this book here. The flawed portrayal of indigenous people was especially obvious in contrast to the other books by indigenous authors that I read this week. 

This is the story of Wren Clemmens, a very troubled young teen. After years of failed individual therapy, her parents send her off, unwillingly, to a therapeutic survival camp in the middle of the desert.
What worked for me was the concept of building relationships and confidence at the camp. I think those are critical for someone like Wren.
I liked that the family had to go to group therapy while Wren was at the Camp, but honestly, if they had done this at the first sign of trouble, the situation would probably never have escalated to the extent it did.

5 stars
The Barren Grounds
 by David A. Robertson
 🍁

This middle grade fantasy novel, featuring two indigenous youths, is the first in David Robertson’s Misewa Saga. Morgan and Eli are living in a supportive foster home. In the attic of the house is a painted over door that turns out to be a portal into Aski, the land of the Misewa people. This is an adventure that will appeal to all kinds of readers. 
I received this from Netgalley and will have a full blog posted sometime in the next couple of days. 


Picking up from the previous novel, A Matter of Malice, Thumps DreadfulWater, a Cherokee ex cop, has been following new leads in his search for the serial killer who murdered his girlfriend and her daughter in what seems to be a previous lifetime. I liked this so much that I'm in the middle of writing a longer post about it, but in the meantime, what you need to know is that this book is as much about characters as it is about solving a murder mystery. I sure hope this isn't the last in the series. 

CURRENTLY

I'm still reading Forward Me Back to You by Mitali Perkins. I've just started listening to A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende.

UP NEXT

I wanted to get to  Unplugged by Gordon Korman, a Netgalley title, but unfortunately my iphone is too old to download the app so I can't listen to it. Other than this, I plan to finally get to Monsters by David A. Robertson and whatever jumps out at me.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

Big Books Summer 2020 10/10

#MustReadIn2020: 18/25 one in progress

#MustReadNFIn2020: 8/12

Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 19/25

Books by Canadian Authors: 107/100

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 251/333

12 comments:

  1. Ah, your camping time looks wonderful, Cheriee! Keep having fun & sharing! I have a nephew & his wife who live near San Francisco, have not left their home for weeks! The fires are heart-breaking! I will put The Barren Grounds on my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping our next camping trip doesn't get cancelled because of the smoke. Since I have asthma, I have to be extra cautious. I will be looking forward to reading what you think of The Barren Grounds.

      Delete
  2. I feel like I am always learning, it's interesting how I can read a book with one perspective, learn, and it may change my thinking. I try and think about other perspectives when I read, but I'm not always successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find that whatever I've just finished reading influences how I react to the next one. Thomas King makes fun of the kinds of portrayals of indigenous people that Van Draanen (Who I really love as an author) wrote into this one.

      Delete
  3. Those photos are beautiful, Cheriee! Wow! Wish I could be there. And I hope you have a wonderful visit with your new granddaughter. I'm so sorry to hear about your iPhone not downloading the audiobook app for Netgalley. I downloaded Unplugged by Gordon Korman and started listening this last week, but stopped maybe 15% to 20% in because I was having trouble keeping people in order. It's not a human narrator, it's a synthesized voice and so the inflection is pretty much the exact same for every sentence that is read. We've come a long way with synthesized voices, but it's still difficult for me to distinguish the difference in cast members unless I'm paying closer attention. I may have to start this one over when I will have more focus. Anyway, thank you for the shares and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting about the voices. I might just have to read the book. I can't stand to think about replacing my perfectly working phone with a new one just so I can access one app!

      Delete
  4. Your camping trip looks so fun! I didn't realize the wildfires were sending smoke into Canada—leave it to America to ruin the world for everyone! The Barren Grounds sounds like a great book! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess in a different time, fires from our part of the world could be creating problems for people to the south of us.

      Delete
  5. I remember camping in the mountains and being surprised by how cold the night got. We envied the other couple who had brought their big dogs! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came prepared with an extra quilt and long underwear (which thankfully we didn't need!)

      Delete
  6. Your photos make me jealous! I always thought Vancouver looked beautiful and a perfect place to enjoy the outdoors. Florida is one of the most inhospitable camping/hiking places ever. At least to someone who got spoiled by the mountains out west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a ways from Vancouver, but so long as the air clears up, we are planning on camping this coming weekend on a river near there. I agree that mountain camping is the best!

      Delete