#IMWAYR June 8, 2020

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.




This has been a very wet and cool May and June. It's good for working hard at renovations, but not all my garden plants are happy. On top of all that, as a wet west coast gardener, I'm having to adjust to the lower humidity here. Everything needs more watering than I am used to and little seedlings can get dried out very fast! So far I've lost spinach, zucchini, radishes and carrots. Sigh.

I read a lot last week, but a lot of it was online news posts about the protests around the world, police violence, racism here in Canada, what defunding the police would look like, and of course, all the ensuing political machinations.

June is Indigenous History Month here in Canada. You can read about this here. I'm planning on reading primarily indigenous titles this month. If all the books on this list are as good as the ones I've already read, this is sure to be a fabulous place to start. I'm especially looking forward to reading If I Go Missing, a graphic novel by Jonnie Brianna that's on that list.
I've just found this list of books by Indigenous Canadian authors for teens and kids!


I won't be checking in next Monday as we will be in Vancouver visiting our grandchildren for their 3rd birthdays. I'm not sure how it will all work out with social distancing, but it will be fabulous to see our babies no matter what! I can't wait to hold our newest one in my arms. I'm happy to report that big sister and little sister are officially smitten with one another. Her cousin thinks she's pretty special too. 



Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS


5 stars

Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story about Racial Injustice
by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins, Ann Hazzard, Jennifer Zivoin (Illustrator)


This is a powerful and important book that will help parents talk about violence and racism. I 'read' it, by watching the following video.





NOVELS


5 stars
Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo & Melania-Luisa Marte (Narrator)

When I first started listening to this I got mixed up about who was who and what was going on. I started it all over, figured it out and was lost in the story.
Wow! What a read!
If I wasn't already an Elizabeth Acevedo fan, I sure would be now. While I appreciate the richness she brings to all her characters, I really came to love these two sisters who don't know that the other exists. At first I expected to hate the father, but he is so brilliantly nuanced that instead I ended up feeling sad for who he was.


4 stars
The Case of the Missing Auntie (A Mighty Muskrats Mystery) by Michael Hutchinson

The second in this series takes the Mighty Muskrats, a team of young indigenous sleuths, into the city. They are staying with their Auntie and cousins and among other things, plan to go to the Exhibition. Otter wants to see his favourite band play and Chickadee wants to track down their grandfather's missing little sister, Charlotte, who disappeared years ago.

The Muskrats discover that the city is very different from the reserve for all kinds of reasons. Racism and different kinds of danger stalk them in the city. A friend who now lives in this urban forest betrays them and they are forced to change their plans.

I especially appreciated Chickadee's persistence and research skills. She just doesn't give up when it comes to helping out her Grandpa. In the process of her research, the Muskrats end up in a center for reconciliation. Readers will learn a lot about residential schools and The Scoops: when governments stole indigenous children from their parents and arranged to have them adopted in white families.

Michael Hutchinson is an Indigenous Canadian.

CURRENTLY

I'm reading A Short History of Indians In Canada: Stories by Thomas King. I didn't make any progress in A Portrait in Poems: The Storied Life of Gertrude Stein and Alice B Toklas by Evie Robillard. I'm listening to The Huntress by Kate Quinn.

UP NEXT

I'll be reading Northwest Resistance by Katherena Vermette. I hope to get to Crow Winter by Karen McBride, one of the many books downloaded onto my ipad.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

Big Books Summer 2020 1/10 one in progress

#MustReadIn2020: 10/25 two in progress

#MustReadNFIn2020: 5/12

25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 11/25 one in progress

100 books by Canadian Authors: 94/100

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 182/333

22 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of the Mighty Muskrats Mysteries. That seems perfect for my daughter. Thanks!

    My Monday:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.woodpeckerbooks.com/2020/06/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-4/

      Delete
    2. It is a delightful series for readers who like mysteries!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for continuing to introduce me to so many new-to-me Indigenous authors and especially Canadian Indigenous authors. I always look forward to buying new books after reading your Monday posts LOL. I read the Elizabeth Acevedo this week too! I also got a little confused at the beginning but then the voices and perspectives of Camino and Yahaira became so real to me that it was easy to tell them apart. I also appreciated how nuanced all of the adult characters were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to turn other readers on to the remarkable talent we have here in Canada. Elizabeth Acevedo is an amazing author!

      Delete
  3. I still need to read With The Fire on High, then will get to Clap When You Land, Cheriee. I have both. Thanks for Something Happened in Our Town, too, and have fun with your grand babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read With the Fire on High, but this became available at my local library here so I snapped it up. I am looking forward to having a blast with those little ones.

      Delete
  4. Clap When You Land sounds like a book for my summer TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These books all sound great! I've heard a lot of praise for Clap When You Land, and I also read about Something Happened In Our Town a few days ago. Thanks for the great post, and have fun seeing your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find time to read Clap When You Land. It was a book that made me more aware of what life is like in the Dominican Republic.

      Delete
  6. I need to get the Mighty Muskrats on my reading list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do. I might have liked the first one in the series better if you haven't read any of them yet.

      Delete
  7. Have a wonderful visit with your grandchildren, Cheriee! Those photos are absolutely precious!! <3 You know, I remember getting mixed up between who was who when I listened to Clap When You Land, too. I had to pause more than once to think about it and remember who was speaking. But once I got a good way into the story it was much easier. On the garden front, I had to get accustomed to living in such a dry climate when we moved to this section of the midwest. This summer I only planted one square-foot garden and I've been itching to fill another one -- just not sure I'll have the time or resources to do so with packing and prepping the house for sale. Thanks for the shares and we'll see you in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you about your new house. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you. It sounds like that confusion in Clap When You Land is common. I wonder if it is only for the audiobook or do readers experience it in the print edition too?

      Delete
  8. Love those beautiful pictures! Enjoy your visit, in any capacity!
    I can't wait to get to Clap When You Land. It's in my pile and I'll hopefully get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be looking forward to reading what you think of Clap When You Land!

      Delete
  9. Interesting to hear your thoughts about gardening. My wife has a productive garden every year (I help but not without a lot of direction. This seems an odd year. Not as much heat as usual.
    I really enjoyed The Mighty Muskrats series so far, and your other books look great as well. Thanks for the shares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Hutchinson is doing a great job with this series, although I did find that the section here about residential schools felt a bit didactic. I know the information is important, but wonder how it could have been integrated into the story more smoothly.

      Delete
  10. Clap When You Land sounds intriguing and with summer almost here, I will have time to add a new title to my TBR. Have a great visit with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved Clap When You Land; she is just so brilliant!
    Something Happened looks intriguing--thank you for sharing it.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really appreciate all the Canadian books you showcase.

    ReplyDelete