#IMWAYR June 29, 2020

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.



I haven't participated in #IMWAYR for the couple of weeks because I was occupied with family events. There were birthday parties and father's day celebrations. I managed to get a few blog posts written in spite of having my granddaughter with us for a week. Then my sister was here house hunting and helped me celebrate my birthday. (I discovered that I am one year younger than I thought) After she left I got the garden weeded and almost under control (for now.) We have a week or so before my other son brings our grandson for a visit. In the meantime, it's back to renovations for us.

While I didn't have time to read as much as I usually do, what I did get to was mostly brilliant! I have been focusing on reading Indigenous authors for Indigenous History Month here in Canada, but I also read a couple of big books for the big book summer reading challenge. So far I've read some amazing titles. 

On an exciting note, my little local library is now open for curbside pickup. I just got a notice that some of my reserve books are ready for me to come and collect, and a couple more are in transit!

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

BLOG POSTS IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS

Swift Fox All Along by by Rebecca Thomas & Maya McKibbin (Illustrator)

Stella Endicott and the Anything-Is-Possible Poem by Kate DiCamilla & Chris Van Dusen

Northwest Resistance by Katherena Vermette, Scott B Henderson (Illustrations) & Donovan Yaciuk (Colorist)

PICTURE BOOKS


4 stars
Swift Fox All Along by by Rebecca Thomas & Maya McKibbin (Illustrator) 🍁

A young girl meets her indigenous relatives for the first time. Based on the author's experience, this shows her anxiety and eventual acceptance of this part of who she is. This book had me thinking about what it must be like for all the 'scooped' children who undertake to connect to their heritage. You can read my full review here.


4 stars
The Truth about Wind by Hazel Hutchins, Gail Herbert & DuΕ‘an PetričiΔ‡ (Illustrator) 🍁

This is the story about a boy who finds a toy horse. He keeps it and lies to his family about where it came from. He names the horse Wind. At first everything is good. He loves playing with Wind and telling his parents all about their adventures. Then he starts seeing missing horse pictures, and begins to feel guilt and remorse.


3.5 stars
Quit Calling Me a Monster! by Jory John, Bob Shea (Illustrator)

Floyd Peterson wants you to acknowledge that he is more than just a monster. At the same time as this is humorous, it's also about accepting our differences.


CHAPTER BOOKS


5 stars
Stella Endicott and the Anything-Is-Possible Poem by Kate DiCamilla & Chris Van Dusen

I loved this story of adversity and friendship. To be upfront, I am a hardcore fan of this series. Each book is like a visit with old friends. In this one, I appreciated finding out how Baby and Eugenia Lincoln are getting on. I probably say this about each new character Kate introduces us to, but I do believe that Stella and Horace have found a special place in my heart. You can read my full review here.

GRAPHIC NOVELS


4 stars
Northwest Resistance by Katherena Vermette, Scott B Henderson (Illustrations) & Donovan Yaciuk (Colorist) 🍁

This is the third volume in the A Girl Called Echo series. The collection focus on the lives of Echo, a young modern day Metis girl who travels back in time to meet with Louis Riel and others during the conflict between Canada and the Metis people in the mid 1800's. You can read my full review here.


5 stars
Stepping Stones (Peapod Farm #1) by Lucy Knisley

Lucy Knisley's first autobiographical graphic novel for the younger crowd is as important and wonderful as her adult novels. Moving from the city to the country was hard on her eleven year old self for all kinds of reasons. She has to get used to the new man in her mother's life, learn to look after chickens, get along with two step sisters, and deal with her math disability. Here is a story that will resonate for younger readers wherever they live. I especially appreciated the additional information and photographs at the end of the book.

NOVELS


4 stars
Crow Winter by Karen McBride 🍁

This is a story of coming home, healing, and moving forward into a new world. It addresses historic oppression and injustice. Readers are made aware of different ways of knowing the world, especially with respect to land ownership and use.

Hazel Ellis returns home to the reserve to stay with her mother after completing her post secondary degree. Both of them are grieving the death of their father/husband who died of cancer a short while ago.
In the process of learning more about her father and the history of her family and people, Hazel reconnects with her culture and makes connection to the spiritual world. She discovers that her father was keeping secrets and set a plan in motion, that however well meaning, will have catastrophic consequences for all people if let come to fruition.
It’s up to Hazel and her unwilling partner, Nanabush, to do the right thing and save them all.

Hazel’s relationship with Nanabush, her capacity for moving in and out of different realms, and the perspective of Nanabush himself, put me in mind of Celia's Song by Lee Maracle. Maracle's characters inhabit a landscape wherein past, present and future, and physical and spiritual realms exist simultaneously. So do McBrides. 

Karen McBride is an indigenous Canadian. This is her first novel. I am looking forward to reading whatever she comes up with next.


5 stars
The Huntress by Kate Quinn

In spite of being terrified at times, I loved this book. It’s got some fabulous strong characters to admire and care about. I especially appreciated learning the history of the Night Witches.


5 stars
Lovely War by Julie Berry

This tells two beautiful love stories against the backdrop of World War I. I loved the characters and appreciated all the details about the war. I knew something of the hospitals for traumatized soldiers from reading Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy. It was fascinating to learn more about the roles of women at the time. In spite of this being an historical novel, it felt relevant for today, especially since one of the love stories introduces us to a black soldier in a black regiment. I was terrified for him.
I loved the integration of the Greek Gods and Goddesses and the connection to music.

I appreciated the historical notes at the end of this as much as I loved the story itself.


5 stars
Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries #5) by Martha Wells

Martha Wells is just brilliant. I can't believe she can keep coming up with new scenarios for this character. It's such joy to read about Murderbot's slow transformation as he figures out how he fits into the rest of humanity. I usually read these in one sitting. I would have been riveted once again but had my three year old granddaughter visiting. I really love that kid, so I forgive her for interfering with my reading life, but still...
If you are not a Murderbot fan, I feel really sad for you.


4 stars
A Short History of Indians in Canada: Stories by Thomas King 🍁

This is a collection of weird, wonderful, dark and disturbing short stories. I didn’t really understand all of them, but each one compelled me read more. I loved the conversation between Thomas King and Margaret Atwood in the back matter.


5 stars
I Can Make This Promise by Christine Day

While searching the attic Edie and her friends discover a secret box. Inside are photographs and letters from someone named Edith who looks a lot like Edie. Edie surreptitiously attempts to get her parents to reveal more about how she got her name and who this other Edie is, but they remain silent until she confronts them straight on.
All this happens against a backdrop of realistic friendship drama.

As Edie learns about her Native American heritage, we discover that a government agent took her mother away from Edith just after she was born and put her up for adoption. We learn that the apprehension of Native American/Indigenous children was a common occurrence in the fifties, sixties and seventies. Even though this is set in America, it's a relevant and important story for Canadians. Here in Canada we call these apprehensions The Scoops.

It's such a common story that you might know people who were victims of this process. In the small town I grew up in I went to school with Indigenous kids who were 'scooped' and adopted into white families. My hairdresser and her brother were 'scooped' from their Indigenous Canadian family and adopted by a white couple in California.


4 stars
The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel by Deborah Hopkinson & Matthew Frow & Kimberly Farr (Narrators)

Deborah Hopkinson integrates compelling fictional characters into the true story of Dr John Snow's identification of a poisoned well as the cause of the Broad Street Cholera epidemic. Eel is a homeless young teen who works different jobs to save up money for a secret purpose. When, on the cusp of a cholera outbreak, he loses his steady day job through no fault of his own, he ends up working as Dr Snow's assistant.
Readers will hardly be aware of how much they are learning about science as they become absorbed in this riveting historical drama.
I especially appreciated the extra information in the back matter.
Given that we are living through a pandemic, this is a timely read.

CURRENTLY

I'm reading a nonfiction title, The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power by Desmond Cole. Sara and the Search for Normal by Wesley King is the fictional novel I have on the go. I've just started listening to Rick by Alex Gino.

UP NEXT

As soon as I pick up my library books I hope to get to A Matter of Malice by Thomas King. Then eventually I'll get to my book club books, Nanaimo Girl by Prudence Emery and Don't Stand So Close to Me by Eric Walters.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

Big Books Summer 2020 3/10

#MustReadIn2020: 13/25

#MustReadNFIn2020: 5/12

25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 15/25

100 books by Canadian Authors: 95/100

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 195/333

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, so much here to comment on as always. I had hoped to finish Network Effect this week too, but I keep falling asleep early and missing out on my bedtime reading time! I am such a huge Murderbot fan too--and having ART return was a special treat. Love this series so much. I need to get the new Kate DiCamillo ordered because Deckawoo Drive books are must reads in my house. I didn't realize the third volume of A Girl Called Echo was out. I will definitely want to read that one. And Lovely War sounds exceptionally good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure it was you who introduced me to Murderbot and if only for this, we shall be forever internet bookish friends. I'm contemplating rereading it so I can enjoy it in is entirety. I'm also keen to learn more about this new rogue secunit.

      Delete
  2. I love Deborah Hopkinson's books & The Great Trouble was terrific, I agree. There's much to love here, Cheriee, despite your being so busy! I have The Huntress, will be on vacation soon & will take it along. Thanks for those picture books. I hope my library opens curbside soon. I know they're prepping! Enjoy your week & your renovations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading what you think of The Huntress!

      Delete
  3. Stepping Stones sound great. It's one I'm waiting for from my library. I like The Lovely War, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected The Lovely War to be more difficult to read, but it was just a delight in spite of the war scenes.

      Delete
  4. These books all sound excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed Stepping Stones—I actually have a different book by Knisley, Relish, on deck for future reading, so I might have to add Stepping Stones as well! I appreciate your efforts to read/spotlight books about Indigenous Canadians and Native Americans. Here in the U.S., I find it shocking how little historical attention is paid to Native American children having been separated from their parents—you'd think that such an atrocity would be important to remember and not repeat. Thank you for the excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you appreciate my efforts to highlight indigenous authors. I have loved everything I've read my Lucy Knisley so I'm certain you will enjoy Relish.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, Cheriee -- how FUNNY that you discovered you're one year younger than you thought. LOL I keep saying I'm going to read the Deckawoo Drive series by DiCamillo. But I think I've been mixing it up with Mercy Watson -- so these two series overlap? Should I start with one or does it matter? LOVED I Can Make This Promise and I am very eager to get back on the Murderbot series. So glad Elisabeth turned us on to Martha Wells!! Thanks for all these shares and have a wonderful reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy Watson lives on Deckawoo Drive, and these books are about the other people who live there. Kate has created quite the collection of characters! (I haven't read all the Mercy books, but I never miss one of the books about her neighbours)
      All hail Elisabeth Ellington! I'm actually contemplating going back and reading them all again!

      Delete
  6. Stepping Stones is on my to be read but nothing has made me really want to pick it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting look at her early life Earl. I think if you are a fan of her adult stuff you will be intrigued by these influences.

      Delete
  7. So much great stuff. I am also a hard core fan of the Mercy Watson/Deckawoo Drive world and I also really enjoyed I Can Make This Promise. I haven't read Swift Fox All Along yet and they seem like they would complement very well, so I will be looking for this one when it comes out in the fall. I have also been enjoying A Girl Called Echo but haven't found the third one yet. I have read what you and others have written about Martha Wells's series and I finally have the first one. I could not remember who I had first seen write about in our weekly space, so I am glad that you mention Elisabeth so that I can reflect on how many great books I steal from her blog posts (and yours, and so many other people here). Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are about to read Murderbot! I can't wait to read your thoughts on this character. I agree that those two titles fit together well. Happy reading this week.

      Delete