#IMWAYR April 13, 2020

Hello out there. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.




We are enjoying some gorgeous weather here in Vancouver, BC. I live on a block famous for its spectacular ornamental cherry blossom display. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand what staying inside and/or social distancing means. While it's not as busy at it would be any other year, it's still like a party out there.

Now that I am finished with my rant, how are the rest of you doing?

I have no time to be bored.
Packing, cleaning, listening to audiobooks, reading, and sewing masks (until my machine died) has kept me busy. I am now working on a Read Across Canada database. If you are interested in helping out with this project please let me know!

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS


5 stars
Ojiichan's Gift by Chieri Uegaki & Genevieve Simms (Illustrations) 🍁

This beautifully illustrated picture book tells of the connection between Mayumi and her grandfather, who live an ocean apart. She spends two months each summer staying with him and helping him tend his garden. Then one summer when she arrives with her family, the garden is in disarray, and she understands that her grandfather can no longer look after it and must move. After taking out her feelings of frustration and loss on the garden, Mayumi figures out a way to preserve it for both herself and her grandfather.


3.5 stars
My Mommy, My Mama, My Brother, and Me by Natalie Meisner & Mathilde Cinq-Mars (Illustrator) 🍁

Mathilde Cinq-Mars' water colour illustrations are gorgeous in this rhyming picture book. It takes readers to Crescent Beach, Nova Scotia, a small fishing community. Two brothers explore the beach with their two moms. On their walk they discover all kinds of interesting objects and creatures, but the highlight of the excursion is in the making of new friends.
I appreciate much about this book except that while the rhyming pattern worked and delighted me initially, later on it became cumbersome and got in the way of my enjoyment.


4 stars
The Good Egg (Bad Seed #2) by Jory John & Pete Oswald (Illustrator)

Just delightful. A little egg drives himself nearly to a breakdown by not only trying to be a really good egg, but by trying to get the rest of his carton to do likewise. He leaves to go and restore himself and returns with a healed shell and a renewed outlook on life.

GRAPHIC NOVELS


4 stars
The Monster Sisters and the Mystery of the Unlocked Cave by Gareth Kyle Gaudin 🍁

This book starts out strong. While introducing readers to the history of Victoria BC it begins by acknowledging the Coast Salish people. I loved this bit where it continues, "It may have been "found" by James Douglas in 1843. But it has been "lost" by monsters in the twenty-first century."
The Monster Sisters, Enid Jupiter and Lyra Gotham, are superheroes fighting off monsters and protecting their city. The book is a medley of serious and imaginary history and geography. I love the references to Neil Young and his After the Gold Rush album. Readers of this graphic novel will experience fast paced action, mystery, humour, research, puzzles to solve, and even saga poetry.
Honestly, I was completely absorbed by this graphic novel until the ending when it all kind of fizzled out. This doesn't mean I won't be looking forward to reading the next in the series though!

NOVELS


5 stars
Badir and the Beaver by Shannon Stewart & Sabrina Gendron (Illustrations) 🍁

I'm just delighted with this book! Badir and his family are new immigrants from Tunisia to Canada. While on a walk with his mother he spies a large rat swimming in a pond. When Badir learns that the the rat is actually a beaver, he begins to research this new to him, animal. When the beaver is threatened by a local park enthusiast who is worried about the trees, Badir and his friends have to come up with a way to save the beaver and the park.

I like so much about this book.

1. It's peopled with diverse characters who are kind and work together for a cause.
2. Readers will learn a lot about beavers and what it means to be a Muslim family celebrating Ramadan.
3. It's full of humour and love.
4. The characters have depth and nuance and will wiggle their way into your heart.
5. It's written at an easy to read level, but you wouldn't know it by the richness of the story.


4 stars
Ghost of the Mill House by Margriet Ruurs & Claudia Davila (Illustrator) 🍁

Four friends travel to an old grist mill in Oregon to stay with an aunt and uncle of one of them. While they have a lot of time for fun, they also help get the house and grounds ready to become an historic park. This is not a ghost story to keep you awake at night. The infestation of bugs is more disturbing! When a hollywood film crew rents the property for a location, a ghost shows up on the rushes. That's how they all learn it is real. The film is rewritten and the two boys end up taking turns acting as the ghost in the movie.
There is a lot in this book to entertain readers of all ages and genders. The illustrations portray diversity in the characters. The kids get along with each other and the adults are solid role models.

Badir and the Beaver and Ghost of the Mill House are from the Orca Echo Series. These titles are written at a grade two reading level, so they are perfect for young readers just starting chapter books. They aim to interest readers from six through to nine years, but even old people like myself are entertained by them. 


4 stars
Here in the Real World by Sara Pennypacker & Noah Galvin (Narrator)

This is a beautifully crafted coming of age novel. It's a slow thoughtful look into the lives of two quirky preteens. Ware is an introvert with a passion for the knight's code of honour. Jolene is a tough realist. The two create a refuge in an abandoned church grounds where Jolene grows papayas and Ware escapes from the Rec program he is supposed to be attending.
This novel reminded me of Lynn Rae Perkins' Criss Cross. It's as much about character as plot, although this one does have an interesting dilemma and satisfying conclusion.


4 stars
The Three Spartans by James Alfred McCann 🍁

There is nothing quite as satisfying as knowing the setting of a book. The mention of places and events a reader can actually visualize from memory adds a layer of unparalleled authenticity to a novel. This story of Art, a twelve year old Canadian boy visiting his family's summer home in Birch Bay, Washington is like that for me. Over the years I've been lucky to have spent many weekends there with friends and family.
Art and his friends, Leo and George, are the three Spartans. They challenge Zeke, a local bully, to a paintball war in the woods behind the local campgrounds. I've never paintball battled, but in my youth, my cousins and siblings and I had many cow pie fights over control of the barn. Although the stakes were very different, it sounds pretty similar. In this case, the three Spartans and their crew are standing up for the freedom to enjoy their summer without being harrassed and bullied. Whether they win at paintball or not, they will still come out ahead.


5 stars
Ru by Kim Thúy & Sheila Fischman (Translator) 🍁

Listening to this feels as if someone is reciting poetry. The prose is gorgeous. The original French language version and Sheila Fischman's translation have garnered all kinds of accolades and won, or been nominated for, all kinds of awards. It won a Governor General award, was a finalist for the Scotiabank Giller Prize and in 2015, was a Canada Reads winner.
It's a fictionalized account of a Vietnamese family who were part of the first group of Boat People. The story is revealed through the first person perspective of An Tinh Nguyen. It weaves together her memories as a young girl in Vietnam, then living in a refugee camp in Malaysia, immigrating with her family to a small town in Quebec and then visiting Vietnam as an adult.
I knew of some of these experiences from narratives by other authors and for many years I taught Vietnamese children and got to know their parents and their stories.
Narrated by the author, Ru is so authentic, I thought it really was a memoir as I listened to it!

CURRENTLY

My Jasper June by Laurel Snyder is the audiobook I have on the go. With my eyes I'm reading Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens by Tanya Boteju.

UP NEXT

Roll With It by Jamie Sumner will be the next audiobook. I'm hoping to read at least four novels and finish off the picture books from my Chocolate Lily Box.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2020: 6/25 1 in progress

#MustReadNFIn2020: 3/12

25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 9/25

100 books by Canadian Authors: 72/100

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 146/333

20 comments:

  1. I loved Ojiichan's Gift & Here in The Real World, will look for Badir & the Beaver & Ru, Cheriee, though they will just have to be on the list for a while, I guess. Sorry about your sewing machine, yikes! Hope you all are okay & you do sound very busy! Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Ru is available as an audiobook. It is lovely with the author reading it.
      I was just having trouble with the tension on my machine and it was due for a check up anyway.

      Delete
  2. Oh, no! It's awful when a sewing machine dies. I hope it is able to be repaired when this is all over. It's nice to have something to do besides reading, but you've had a great week of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully it didn't die, the tension just went wonky. It really is nice to do a variety of activities!

      Delete
  3. As always, soooo much here I want to read! I LOVE Chieri Uegaki and haven't read that one yet, so need to add that to the list. And a new Sara Pennypacker! I need it immediately! I am sorry to hear about your sewing machine and hope you can get that fixed or get a new machine soon! The cherry blossoms sound amazing--though I do wish people would do what they need to do with social distancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I think you might love Ru too Elisabeth.

      Delete
  4. All three books in the Jory John and Pete Oswald series are well-loved by kids. They are all so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are! I'm looking forward to the third in the series!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed The Good Egg, I think it is my favourite of the three, but as Lisa says, they all seem to be enjoyed by kids. I am looking forward to adding many of the Canadian books you have here, the Orca books would fill a need in my library when I can get them. The Monster Sisters would be a nice addition to, in that we have few graphic novels set in Canada, let alone BC. I have been eyeing The Three Spartans for a while too. Thanks for all the great shares today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about The Monster Sisters. I really liked it too until it got kind of scattered at the end. I think kids will just ignore that part. I don't remember enjoying these Orca echos as much as I am enjoying these ones here. They would make great book sets for lit circles for younger readers.

      Delete
  6. Here in the Real World did not grab me. I read it digitally and sometimes it's hard for me to fall into those. I've seen such great reviews of this book, I may need to get a physical copy and try again.
    We're back to very cold weather. Temps in the 30s the next three days. While I do not like that weather, I do think it also keeps people indoors because like you said, the number of people that congregate together....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping for some Vancouver rain to keep the people indoors. I too have trouble with digital books sometimes but can almost always get hooked on audio versions. A great narrator makes all the difference!

      Delete
  7. From the cover, I agree that My Mommy, My Mama, My Brother, and Me has great illustrations! It's a shame that The Monster Sisters had a mediocre ending. Here in the Real World sounds excellent! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art in My Mommy, My Mama, My Brother, and Me is gorgeous and I really like the idea of the story. I think it's really hard to make a rhyming picture book work. I'm not sure I would call The Monster Sisters ending mediocre, it's more scattered than anything.

      Delete
  8. Cheriee, I am so sad to hear that you haven't been able to see your granddaughter! I miss hearing about your reading adventures, too! I love the Bad Seed series, but I do need to read the new one!

    Be safe, and happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss each other but at least now she is no longer mad at me and refusing to even facetime with me. It isn't easy to understand what is going one when you are only 2 1/2!

      Delete
  9. Hi, Cheriee. I am reading Thanhha Lai's Butterfly Yellow right now, so I'm curious about Ru. I wonder if they'd make good side-by-side reads. Thanks for so many recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your post image, Cheriee! And I had completely forgotten about Here in the Real World, so thank you for the reminder. Badir and the Beaver is brand new to me, but after your glowing review I'm definitely adding this to my list. Hope you're having a fantastic reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed Ojiichan's Gift. I will have to watch for Badir and The Ghost of the Mill House. I'm also very interested in Ru. It seems that you've gotten quite a bit of reading done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't go wrong with any of the Bad Seed books. I just shared The Great Eggscape which was enjoyed by kids during a virtual read aloud. The Coach Potato is their next collboration due out in the fall. -Laura Mossa

    ReplyDelete