#IMWAYR FEBRUARY 10, 2020

Well, here we are. It's #IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.



I worked a week in kindergarten and survived - just barely. I'm now fighting some kind of virus and hope it isn't hand, foot and mouth disease. It was making its rounds while I was there. My hands are chapped from all the hand washing and cleaning with disinfectant! The good news is that I am only scheduled to work two days a week from here on in!

Thankfully all the Cybils reading is over and the winners will be announced this coming Wednesday! I'm biting my tongue so I don't blurt out the winners in the graphic novel category.

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars
Deep Underwater by Irene Luxbacher 🍁

Many of the mixed media collages in this book are breathtaking. (That’s kind of a pun) A young girl goes on a fantastical journey into the deepest, darkest regions of the ocean. She takes us into "where dragons live" and “hot gassy bubbles burp secrets from deep inside the center of the earth..”

5 stars
We March by Shane W. Evans

The spare text and glorious illustrations relate a profound event in the history of the civil rights movement in the USA. I appreciate that it is personalized so we come to to understand its significance on individuals and their families. I’m looking forward to reading this to little people next week. I also appreciated the additional details in the author’s note in the back matter.

4 stars
Colette's Lost Pet (Mile End #1) by Isabelle Arsenault 🍁

I adore Isabelle Arsenault's art. Collette, dressed in a yellow hat and coat like a modern day Red Riding Hood, wants a pet. Her parents say no and chase her outside to play. As she meets children in her new neighbourhood she tells an increasingly fantastical tale about her missing parakeet named Marie Antoinette. By the end, her imaginative story telling helps her make friends of them all. I didn't like this as much as the the second book in this series, Albert's Quiet Quest, but it was still enjoyable.

3.5 stars
The Imperfect Garden by Melissa Assaly & April dela Noche Milne (Illustrations) 🍁

A young person helps with the garden and discovers that fruits and vegetables do not grow in uniform shapes and sizes.
While it is a bit pedantic, this is a wonderful book to introduce children to the quirky joys of gardening.

3 stars
Tomorrow Most Likely by Dave Eggers & Lane Smith (Illustrations)

Lane Smith's art is truly spectacular in this. Tomorrow, beyond the confines of our predictable homes, is loaded with possibility. The book celebrates this.

GRAPHIC NOVELS

4 stars
Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot! (Chick and Brain #1) by Cece Bell

This was a hit with kindergarteners last week. There is lots of humour and surprises, with just a bit of danger (a chicken eating dog) thrown in.

5 stars
The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy #3) by Molly Ostertag

If you have ever wondered what a witch family reunion might be like, this book is for you! At the Vanissen Midwinter Festival, the clan gathers to celebrate togetherness and crown the new year's shapeshifter and witch. 
Ariel, the lone witch from The Hidden Witch, is now learning the art of witchcraft with Aster and his family. She is invited to come along with them and agrees to attend so long as Charlie, their non witch friend, can come along too. It isn't easy for Ariel to learn to abide by rules and be considerate of others. When, unbeknownst to the Vanissen' family, Ariel's aunt, a renegade witch, contacts her and invites Ariel to come and live with her, she is seriously tempted.
I adore this series. In this third instalment, Molly Ostertag finishes it all up with a happy ever after. I hope it doesn't mean it is the end.


NOVELS

4 stars
Song Angel by Nancy Hundal 🍁

I was nervous starting this book because it is written by someone I know. I was dreading that it might not work for me. Thank goodness I had nothing to worry about. Right from the get go I was awed by the world building. How do people conjure up these kinds of realities? I will ask her next time I see her!

Carmen is an angel. Her responsibility is to find the just right song to help people die and move on to the sweet hereafter. If she fails, they will end up with her in the After. We discover that in this intermediary place, as they help the dying transition from earth, song angels have to deal with unresolved issues in their own Before.

I didn't read the prologue until after I had finished the book. I wish I had read it earlier because I think it would have sped up my connection to Carmen.

By the end of this book my eyes were leaking - a lot.

5 stars
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) Holly Black & Caitlin Kelly (Narrator

Talking about world building, Holly Black is brilliant.
I was hooked almost as soon as I started reading this story of twin sisters, Taryn and Jude, growing up in the land of the fey. Each of them craves, in their own way, to belong. Jude is one kickass protagonist. I love her.
As soon as I finished this I put a reserve on the next one in the series.

3 stars
The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air #1.5) by Holly Black

I couldn't let go of Holly Black's world so when I saw this little novella available as an ebook, I downloaded it. As interesting as it was to read Taryn's perspective on the events in The Cruel Prince, I ended up disliking her even more.

NONFICTION

5 stars
The Grizzly Mother (Mothers of Xsan) by Hetxw'ms Gyetxw (Brett D. Huson) & Natasha Donovan (Illustrations) 🍁

This is the second book by this duo. Each one highlights the Gitxsan’s way of knowing the world by showing the interconnectedness of culture and nature. The focus on mothers parallels the matrilineal kinship system of the people. In this instance, we learn about the grizzly mother’s behaviour as it pertains to certain times of the year. These times are connected to the Gitxzan calendar of moons.
Like The Sockeye Mother, the text incorporates Gitxsan terms and doesn’t hesitate to use challenging vocabulary. Most of these words are explained in small text boxes. The back matter gives extra information about the Gitxsan people with a chart of the different moons. It also shows a map of their unceded territory.
Natasha Donovan’s art is gorgeous. She illustrates the interconnectedness of nature and culture through use of traditional art into the landscapes.
I'm looking forward to reading The Eagle Mother
These books are highly recommended and can be ordered through Strong Nations Publications. School libraries should purchase at least a couple of copies of each one.

POETRY

5 stars
Soccerverse by Elizabeth Steinglass & Edson Ikê (Illustrator)

Just Wow!
There are so many reasons to love this book.
It's about soccer, but it's also about living and playing together in harmony with different kinds of people.
It acknowledges that soccer is a universal sport played by boys and girls.
It brilliantly showcases a variety of different poetic forms.
It provides ideal mentor texts for teaching poetry.
Edson Ike's illustrations are the perfect companion to these words.
Ultimately it's just a wonderful collection of poems that happen to be soccer related!

CURRENTLY

I'm listening to The Size of the Truth by Andrew Smith. With my eyes I'm reading Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson. I'm trying to finish up all the Canada Reads books before March 19th when the debate begins. I've finished two already. Click the link if you are interested in finding out more about this. I've also got a couple of poetry collections on the go.

UP NEXT

Empire of the Wild by Cherie Dimaline is queued up to by my next audiobook. Other than that I'll try to make some kind of headway in my stack of library books, and Netgalley titles before delving into the boxes of books I have to read as a juror for the Chocolate Lily awards.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2020: 3/25

#MustReadNFIn2020: 2/12

25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 6/25 one in progress

100 books by Canadian Authors: 14/100

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 59/333

15 comments:

  1. I loved Tomorrow Most Likely & SoccerVerse is a favorite of last year's poetry books, too. Much to love here, Cheriee. I marked Deep Underwater and We March, older but I don't remember ever reading it! Glad you're back to two days! Those kindies keep one busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read so many reviews of SoccerVerse, and I was still gobsmacked by how brilliant it is!

      Delete
  2. Deep Underwater looks like a lovely picture book. I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art is pretty impressive for sure! Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Deep Underwater looks amazing. I will definitely seek that one out at my library.

    Yay for listening to The Size of the Truth. I absolutely loved that Andrew Smith wrote about one of his most beloved characters from his Winger duology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it, but Andrew Smith is kind of hit or miss for me. I absolutely adored Grasshopper Jungle, and nothing of his that I have read since wows me so much.

      Delete
  4. I've seen Soccerverse twice this week. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually reading a lot of Canadian authors-- I wasn't really paying attention until the #IReadCanadian movement. You can certainly find 100!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thrilled to know another reading buddy who is enjoying The Folk of the Air series. I didn't enjoy The Lost Sisters as much as the others, but it was interesting to read Taryn's POV (even if it didn't change my opinion much). And I think you've just about convinced me to get my hands on The Witch Boy series. Hope you've been having a great reading week, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fabulous Shaye. Hope yours is as good. The Witch Boy series is a must read! The first one won the Cybil award last year.

      Delete
  7. I need to read The Cruel Prince still. My sister has my copy and put it on her #mustreadin2020 list. Maybe I'll get it back from her this year, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audiobook was brilliant Michele. You can just download it from the library and let your sister keep the book!

      Delete
  8. I've only read the second Witch Boy book, so I really need to read the first and third. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete