#IMWAYR January 6, 2020

#IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.




Hope you have all had a wonderful winter break and happy start to this new year. My partner and I headed off to our Okanagan home for a few days of respite. I didn't get as much reading in as I anticipated because we ended up socializing more than usual. As well, I was busy cutting fabric pieces for a quilt I am making for my son and his partner.

We planned to stay for another week, but I got a request from a friend to work in her library this coming week so we are heading back to Vancouver Monday. The forecast is for snow so wish us luck!

The next little while is going to be kind of busy for me in my reading life. As a round two Cybils' judge, I've got to do some close reading of the finalists in the graphic novels category. Luckily I've read most of them once already. After I will be busy reading as a juror for a local book award. On top of all that, I want to have the quilt I just started finished for my son's birthday on March 2nd.

I know I read more picture books last week but didn't keep track of them on Goodreads so I will update you on those next week.

Titles with a 🍁 indicate this is a Canadian Author and or Illustrator. I 🍁 means an indigenous Author and or Illustrator

Clicking on the title of the book will take you to the Goodreads page of the book.

BLOG POSTS LAST WEEK

Reading Goals 2020

Siha Tooskin Knows the Love of the Dance by Charlene Bearhead, Wilson Bearhead & Chloe Bluebird Mustooch (Illustrator)

PICTURE BOOKS


4 stars
Siha Tooskin Knows the Love of the Dance by Charlene Bearhead, Wilson Bearhead & Chloe Bluebird Mustooch (Illustrator) I🍁

Siha Tooskin (Paul) is an 11 year old Nakota boy. This series helps us understand what his life is like. Jeff, his new non indigenous friend is accompanying Paul and his Uncle Lenard to a powwow. It’s Jeff's first time and he’s excited to be seeing everything Paul has told him about. Paul and Uncle Lenard are both dancers. In this book Jeff and readers learn about the history of the powwow and the different kinds of dances.
One of the things I like about this series is the use of the Nakota language in the text and a glossary of terms used at the end of the book.


3 stars
Siha Tooskin Knows the Nature of Life by Charlene Bearhead, Wilson Bearhead & Chloe Bluebird Mustooch (Illustrator) I🍁

This is the second in this series I've read. I don't think they need to be read in order.
Siha Tooskin (Paul) goes on a walk with his Ena (mother) where he learns that trees, rocks, and animals have important lessons to teach him that will help him grow up strong and generous.
I appreciate this insight into indigenous ways of knowing. I just wish there was a bit more 'story' here.


5 stars
Albert's Quiet Quest (Mile End #2) by Isabelle Arsenault 🍁

Poor Albert just wants to find a quiet place to read his book. He finally finds it. Then he is interrupted by all his friends inviting him to play. This book is beautifully illustrated. It’s a cross between a picture book and a graphic novel. The ending is delightfully hilarious

NOVELS


4 stars
Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club by Megan Gail Coles 🍁

This book took me way out of my comfort zone. It's southern gothic set in Newfoundland. I barely skimmed some sections because I just couldn't handle reading it closely. There are a lot of characters, but it wasn't a problem to keep track of who was who. The two main ones are young women trapped in circumstances of poverty and abuse. It's brilliantly written with the odd bit of dark humour thrown in. It was just emotionally hard work watching the train wreck of their lives unravel.


5 stars
Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater & Will Patton (Narrator)

The only terrible thing about this book is finishing it and having to wait til next November for the sequel. Some of these characters were already dear to me. I appreciated getting to know them better almost as much as I loved meeting the new ones. Maggie Stiefvater’s world has enchanted me. Will Patton’s divine voice (swoon) is an integral component of this reading experience for me.


3.5 stars
Look Both Ways:A Tale Told in Ten Books by Jason Reynolds &

I listened to this as an audiobook, but as much I enjoyed the many different narrators, (especially Bahni Turpin) I think it would have been better for me to have read it with my eyes. It's a collection of short stories based on a group of children who live in the same neighbourhood and go to the same school. It's at times funny, heartbreaking and sweet. I just had a hard time following the different characters and then jumping to a new one. I'm planning on getting a hard copy to read and will see how that works. It appears that this is the beginning of a new series. I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

CURRENTLY

I'm reading This Place:150 Years Retold, a graphic novel anthology. I'm between audiobooks. I've just started Chop Suey Nation by by Ann Hui for my book club next week.

UP NEXT

I'm going to be focusing on graphic novels in the foreseeable future, but hope to get to some of the novels and picture books from my library pile. I'll see what audiobooks become available and what I have on hand. 

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2020: 2/25

#MustReadNFIn2020: 0/12 one in progress

25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors: 2/25 one in progress

100 books by Canadian Authors: 2/100 one in progress

Goodreads Reading Challenge: 5/333

8 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten to Look Both Ways yet, but I've lots of great buzz about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small Game Hunting is a new one to me, Cheriee, will see if my library has it! And I have the Look Both Ways & Call Down the Hawk on my list, both must reads! Thanks! Good luck on all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to find Albert's Quiet Quest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun judging the Cybils! I love Maggie Stiefvater so I'm looking forward to that one.

    My screen shows your symbols for Canadian author and Indigenous author as the same -- are they supposed to be different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. I'm focusing on Canadian Indigenous authors - I've added an I to the maple leaf. I forgot to explain that.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the Cybils judging! If the graphic novel category! I know it's going to be tough picking a winner in the MG speculative fiction category.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you were able to have a little bit of a break to relax with friends. I reserved Albert's Quiet Quest from my library because it looks like a book I can totally relate to! Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to add Albert's Quiet Quest to my list, but I'm wondering if I need to hunt down book #1, first. And on Look Both Ways:A Tale Told in Ten Books, I wondered if I might have enjoyed it more if I'd read it with my eyes, too. With all the different voices, I sometimes struggled to hang on to the common thread. Thanks for the shares, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete