What the Eagle Sees by Eldon Yellowhorn & Kathy Lowinger

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title. It will be released November 12, 2019 by Annick Press.

I truly appreciated this book. I highlighted chunks of text and made notes to refer back to for when I wrote this review. Unfortunately, one week later, when I went to use all that, I couldn't open the ebook. Apparently there was 'no valid license’ for it. I can download another copy to reread, but I don't have time.

The history of indigenous peoples isn't comfortable reading. This book begins with a preamble explaining the story of the eagle and of the old North Trail. The trail spans the North American continent from north to what is now the Yukon, south to Mexico. Indigenous peoples used it for millennium prior to first contact with europeans. What the Eagle Sees spans Indigenous history from their victory over the Vikings, to how people manage to survive and thrive today. I appreciated the many photographs, and inserts of additional information.

It’s not as in depth as Thomas King’s The Inconvenient Indian, but it’s a brilliant introduction for readers unaware of indigenous relationships with settlers.

This is an important read for everyone eleven years and older. It should be mandatory reading for all educators. It goes without saying that it provides an important mirror for indigenous children, and a window for the rest of us.  I plan to now go and read the authors’ first book, Turtle Island: The Story of North America's First People

No comments:

Post a Comment