#IMWAYR April 10, 2017


#IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. The adult version of this meme is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. The kidlit rendition is hosted by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post. I've been focused on sewing quilts. Also, we had a crowd over for dinner last Sunday and I had to do some housecleaning before they arrived so I didn't have time to write a blog post. Besides, I hadn't read that much. While I'm still getting my bookish fix through audiobooks, I really wish that more of the books for my goals were available in this format.

I actually accomplished more on this quilt, but this is all I could fit onto my wall. I've got to finish another 21 blocks, but that will only take me around 30 hours or so. 



I've got one more of these to finish up for my grandbabies to be. I'm still trying to decide if I should put a border on it, and if I do, what colour it will be. 



BLOG POSTS THIS WEEK


PICTURE BOOKS

I know I read more picture books at the book fair last week, but the few here are the ones that left an impression on me. 

4 stars
Beautiful by Stacy McAnulty & Joanne Lew-Vriethoff (Illustrations)

I love the contrast between the text and images in this hilarious picture book. They take stereotypes of girls and turn them upside down. I want my own copy of this one.

4 stars
We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading! #2) by Laurie Keller, Mo Willems

This series is so much fun! The story is told from the point of view of grass growing. As they grow they argue over who is the most in certain qualities. The illustrations and text had me laughing out loud.



NON FICTION PICTURE BOOKS

5 stars
I Have the Right to Be a Child by by Alain Serres, Aurélia Fronty (Illustrations), & Helen Mixter (Translation)

I found this book at the Scholastic Book Fair I was helping out at last week. The simple text explains each right. These rights are exquisitely illustrated in glorious colour. I ordered two copies for each of my grandchildren to be. My heart ached upon realizing that the USA has not yet ratified this convention. It breaks even more to realize that while Canada has signed it, there are many children in our country whose rights continue to be violated.

3 stars
Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt by Kate Messner & Christopher Silas Neal (Illustrations)

Kate Messner's text is lovely, and I am sure that Neal's illustrations are glorious, but in the Scholastic version I looked at, they were flat. I've put a hold on a Chronicle Books edition from my local library because I suspect that I should be more impressed than I was.



NON FICTION

4 stars
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (author and narrator)

I was completely lost in the ancient norse world as read by the author himself. As I listened to this I realized how having a background understanding of mythology has the capacity to enrich the rest of my reading life. Gaiman made these Gods and Goddesses seem like real people with superpowers, so it's easy to make the connection from these ancient stories to the world of Marvel and other comic book heros. As I listened to this, I kept thinking about Going Bovine by Libba Bray. While I realized that her novel referenced these Gods, I now know that my appreciation for that book would have been much richer had I read this first. After finishing this I want to reread American Gods, because I will get much more from it. At the very least, I'm looking more forward to watching the TV series of it.

5 stars
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott

I've been listening to this in bits, hoping to get motivated to write, but since I've mostly been listening before going to sleep or when I am busy working on a quilt, that hasn't occurred. In spite of this, I enjoyed Lamont's sense of humour, and found that she does indeed offer up some good advice on living. Maybe when/if I ever finish these quilts, I'll go back and reread sections and start writing.

4 stars
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin Jesse L. Martin (Narrator)

This is scarily still relevant today, although it was first published in 1963. Ever since I read Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates, I've wanted to read James Baldwin. I've been recommending this book to others since finishing it. I can't help but wonder how different the world might be if more people had read Baldwin's work during the time it was published.

NOVELS

4 stars
Everyday Hero by Kathleen Cherry CL

Alice and Megan are unlikely candidates for friendship, but friends they become when Megan stands up for Alice at school. Through Megan, Alice, who has Asperger's, learns what it means to be a friend. Through Alice, Megan, who lives in an abusive home, learns that life is much more straightforward than she imagines. Both are everyday heroes dealing with nearly overwhelming obstacles. 
I really loved this book. Alice's parents may not always get it right, but it is obvious that they have their daughter's best interests at heart. The two girls are authentic characters I couldn't help but worry about and care for. At one point, I even cried a few tears.

4 stars
Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy by Wendelin Van Draanen & Tara Sands ((Narrator)

Sammy Keyes is my go to when I am feeling like I need a reading treat. In this one, Sandy and her friend, Marissa, head off to Hollywood to visit with her soap opera star mother. (Although in this one, she isn't yet a star) While there, Sammy has to solve a murder and save her mother's life. At the same time, Sammy and her mother manage to repair their fractured relationship. I did not see this end coming at all!

4 stars
Finding Perfect by Elly Swartz

This is just a PERFECT middle grade read! Swartz' first novel is comprised of heart and soul. It provides a window and mirror into the world of a twelve year old who is becoming overwhelmed by her OCD symptoms. It's a story about the joys of friendship and family, in spite of how messy they get. It's also a story about resilience and healing. I adore Molly Nathans!

3 stars

Bungee Jump by Pam Withers CL

This short read is packed with lots of action. Lots of scientific information about leprosy and engineering are embedded in this story of a family who own an island that was once housed a leper colony. There is also a missing treasure. The characters could be better developed, but I think this is a good read for reluctant readers.



3 stars
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas & Elizabeth Evans (Narrator)

This was ok, but there was too much romance and not enough action. I liked the friendship between Celaena and Nehemia and the world Mass has created kept me reading even though I was underwhelmed by the overall general focus on beauty and clothing.


ABANDONED

2 stars
The Left Handed Fate by Kate Millford

I really wanted to love this book because The Greenglass House knocked my socks off. I read almost 100 pages and couldn't get into it. It just didn't work for me.

CURRENTLY

I'm currently listening to South and West: From a Notebook by Joan Didion.  I'm reading Root Beer Candy and Other Miracles by Shari Green.

UP NEXT

MY next audiobook will be Still Alice by by Lisa Genova. I'm planning on reading even this page is white by Vivek Shraya (a library book) and then I must read at least these three from my Chocolate Lily box! (I really really need to read more than this since the deadline is coming up and I have many to get through) Dukes's Den by Becky Citra, Shot in the Dark by Janet M. White, and Panda's on the Eastside by Gabrielle Pendergast.

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MUSTREADIN2017 8/36 1 in progress

#MUSTREADNFIN2017 2/12, 1 in progress

50 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 11/50

Chocolate Lily (CL) 35/52

Goodreads Reading Challenge 121/333

19 comments:

  1. I love the Elephant and Piggie Like Reading books. My first graders love books written with dialogue. Still Alice was such a great book. It was one I couldn't put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are so much fun aren't they. Thanks for the motivation to get to Still Alice.

      Delete
  2. Felt the same way about The Left Handed Fate, but am looking forward to Greenglass House sequel. Not a fan of Finding Perfect. It was so slow, and I kind of wanted to slap Molly! Should take a look at the Gaiman title, but Norse mythology isn't as popular as Greek in my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the Greenglass House sequel also Karen. There were moments in Finding Perfect that aggravated me as well, but I kept reminding myself that Molly was only 11.

      Delete
  3. Much to love here, Cheriee, including your quilts! I shared an older Gaiman book today, and certainly have this new one in mind. Thanks also for Everyday Hero. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I enjoyed that Gaiman title also. I think you will enjoy this one and Everyday Hero.

      Delete
  4. I really love the quilts. I think it looks fine borderless, but hope you'll post it again if you add one. I loved Finding Perfect and it's been a big hit with my students. Interesting take on Throne of Glass. I felt the beauty and clothing were being used as a ruse by the main character, hiding her true purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. I am thinking I might have to put a border on, because it might not be big enough, but I agree that I like it just as it is. I appreciate your comments on Throne of Glass. I hadn't thought of it like that.

      Delete
  5. Oh, an Eric Carle quilt!! What a perfect gift for any baby and their grownups!! I love the look of "Beautiful" - such an empowering idea for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's empowering and hilarious at the same time Jane!

      Delete
  6. The quilts are just beautiful! Thanks for the pictures.
    I'm so glad you loved Finding Perfect. I adored it and love seeing the love for it!
    I did not love Greenglass House so I've been hesitant in picking up FATE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I wouldn't encourage you to pick up Fate. I however and looking forward to the Greenglass sequel.

      Delete
  7. Your quilts are beautiful! I really enjoyed Finding Perfect, too. I'll have to check out the other books on your list. We're traveling for Spring Break, so I'll be catching up on the books loaded onto my Kindle next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana. I hope you have a restful spring breaks filled to the brim with fabulous reads.

      Delete
  8. Love the quilts. I'd like to look for Bird by Bird on audio. Maybe something will sink in at night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if the writing doesn't, there is a lot in there about living a satisfying life!

      Delete
  9. That Eric Carle quilt is amazing! Your grandbabies are going to love it!
    I haven't ever read any Sammy Keyes books, but if they are your treat, then I definitely need to pick one up :) I loved We Are Growing (hilarious!), but I haven't read the other PBs you listed though I want to read them all :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we like similar books, I think you should give Sammy a go. Not only are they great mysteries, Van Draanen integrates social issues into each book. The first in the series won the 1998 Edgar Award for Best Children's Mystery. The best thing is that there are many books in the series and we get to watch Sammy grow up through them.

      Delete
  10. Whew! Busy bee! Those quilts are beautiful. I have reread Bird by Bird many times. That book is stunning!

    ReplyDelete