#IMWAYR April 24, 2017

Hello Everyone! 

#IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. The adult version of this meme is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. The kidlit rendition is hosted by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.



While I've finished up a number of novels, I have not been meeting my reading goals with regards to the Chocolate Lily titles. I really really meant to finish three from this box, but I've been busy with other things, and you know, life happens.

This photo shows one of the baby quilts I dropped off to be quilted this morning. Finishing up the back of them was a challenge because while working on the wedding quilt, my needle hit a straight pin. The pin was pushed into the cover plate and broke off one of the dodads that holds the plate in place. I had to hold it in place while I finished sewing. I still have 13 more blocks to finish on the wedding quilt. Then I just need to assemble them. As usual, everything takes much longer than I anticipated. My repair person just lives a few blocks away, so I hope to get it fixed soon. 

PICTURE BOOKS

3 stars

Feminist Baby by Loryn Brantz

This is a fun book that outlines the basics of what it means to be a feminist. I've bought two books for my grandchildren to be. I'm a hard core believer that feminism is for everyone, irrespective of gender. So while I liked this book a lot, I wish it had used gender neutral pronouns.



NONFICTION PICTURE BOOKS

5 stars
Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909 by Michelle Markel & Melissa Sweet (Illustrations)

This is a must purchase book for anyone who's raising young activists. Clara Lemlich was a union organizer and main initiator of the 1909 general strike in New York City. We can be thankful to her for the many benefits unions have ensured for all of us.
I really love that Clara wasn't deterred from her goals to improve working conditions for young female garment workers like herself. Despite police brutality, jail, and men in the union who didn't think women were strong enough, she never gave up.
She remains a relevant role model for our time.

3 stars
My House is Alive: The Weird and Wonderful Sounds Your House Makes by Scot Ritchie

The book takes us through the different sounds a house makes at night. The cartoonish illustrations show a young boy's imagination at work at the same time as he learns the science behind what is causing many different noises. It might be helpful for children who are afraid of the dark. 


NOVELS

4 stars
P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia Sisi & Aisha Johnson (Narrator)

If you have not met the Gaither sisters, you are living a deprived life. Somehow I had missed the second in the trilogy, but am delighted to have caught up. Williams-Garcia has created a memorable family full of such real people that I expect that I'll run into them on the street and chat about the old days. I am fascinated by Delphine's relationship with her mother and her father. As an eldest child myself, I sympathise with her in her dealings with her younger siblings. I've been there. Williams-Garcia immerses us in the tension, the urgency and the contradiction of the late 60's and early 70's.  Watching this family live through a time in history that I remember, although I was here in Canada and ensconced in university, is another thing I love about this book. I am desperately hoping there will be a number 4.

4 stars
Adventure on Whalebone Island by M.A. Wilson CL

This book reminded me a lot of Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. In this book, four children spend two weeks of the summer sailing on the pacific coast. They camp out on Whalebone Island for three days by themselves, and end up in the middle of more adventures than they bargained for.
This is a classic adventure story that would make a delightful read aloud. It's got ordinary children dealing with, for the most part, ordinary challenges. All these characters are authentic individuals. The adults are ideal supportive role models.
I'm not crazy about the cover, but I really enjoyed the novel.

ADULT NOVELS

4 stars
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett & Hope Davis (Narrator)

I don't have words to talk about this book here and now. While reading it I made many connections to Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Maybe it's because it has been so long since that book, but Patchett's novel felt superior. Perhaps it's that there is so much going on at both macro and micro levels. The setting, her characters, and the situation are so convoluted and complex. I was gobsmacked by the ending.
I wish I could write as brilliantly about it as this review in the New York Times.
  

CURRENTLY

I put my copy of Pandas on the Eastside in a safe place when we had toddlers visiting last week, and I can't figure out where it is. It is guaranteed to be where both little and my old fingers can't find it. I'm reading Last Chance Island by Norma Charles and listening to When Friendship Followed Me Home. It feels a lot like Bridge to Terabithia. I'm going to be really ticked off if there is one more death in this book.

UP NEXT

We have an election going on here in British Columbia, and I am out working for the party of my choice. I have to carve out some time to get in some reading so I'll hold off on getting my sewing machine repaired until later in the week. I'm committing to read The MIssing Skull by John Wilson, Heart of a Champion by Ellen Schwartz, and The Griffin of Darkwood by Becky Citra.

How has your week been?

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MUSTREADIN2017 9/36 

#MUSTREADNFIN2017 4/12

50 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 11/50

Chocolate Lily (CL) 40/52 2 in progress

Goodreads Reading Challenge 138/333

-->

24 comments:

  1. Bridge to Terabitthia is all the tears. Is When Friendship Followed Me Home just as tragic?
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got to the end yet. It better not be.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Feminist Baby or Brave Girl, but they are on my list. My House is Alive sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt! I know a lot of people that will enjoy sharing Feminist Baby with their kids (girls and boys). I would be even more attracted to the cover without the bow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too. The bow doesn't bother me at all. I just kind of wish the actual gender of this feminist baby wasn't so obvious. Having raised two men myself I'm more than aware of how important it is to bring them up right.

      Delete
  4. Look at these quilts! So impressive. I am going to read Book 2 and 3 of the Williams-Garcia titles soon. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carrie you have such a marvellous treat in store!

      Delete
  5. Love the quilt, Cheriee. You create such beautiful ones. Sorry about the machine! I loved Swallows and Amazons so will look for Whalebone Island. It sounds delightful. Thanks for all that you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I work my machines hard, but I never had this issue with my previous bernina. They don't make things like they used to!

      Delete
  6. I am on the third book of the Gaither Sisters. I listened to the first two but haven't had the chance for the third one. I love the voices the narrator gave them! Surely do!!!
    Someone else just mentioned Feminist Baby to me, sounds like a funny one to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best! I'm looking forward to reading Williams-Garcia's most recent book, but really really hope to read more about these girls.

      Delete
  7. Your comment on hiding the book so well that you can't find it made me chuckle - I've done that myself more than a few times!

    I loved Brave Girl, such an inspiring story.

    I find it so fascinating to read stories set in times that I remember, though at the same time it's strange to realise that my childhood has become a historical fiction setting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly it Jane. I especially like it when I get to read about people experiencing those times through a completely different lens.

      Delete
  8. I definitely need to check out My House Is Alive, as I can totally relate to laying in bed at night and listening to the noises the house makes. I read Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams-Garcia a few summers ago. I loved it, so it would be fun to read the other books in this series. Your quilt is beautiful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to find out what causes all those strange noises, especially the ones from the fridge.

      Delete
  9. Feminist Baby is one I want to read soon. We just moved into a house that was built in 1920 so I will need to get My House is Alive. There are so many sounds here. I love the creaky floors we have now. I loved the Gaither sisters. Brave Girl is awesome. Your quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal. Congratulations on the move. The explanation for creaky floors is pretty interesting.

      Delete
  10. I do own a copy of State of Wonder - and have been meaning to read it for awhile now. But I've been reading so many contrasting views about Ann Patchett's writing, that I hesitate, so am glad to read your review here. Haven't read the Gaither sisters yet, so I must be living a deprived life! Hahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite Patchett novel is Truth and Beauty, but I've enjoyed most of them. Hope Davis' narration was excellent in State of Wonder.
      You really need to get to know those sisters Myra!

      Delete
  11. That quilt is so beautiful!!! You are very talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say about When Friendship Followed Me Home is.... be prepared to be ticked off. And yet somehow it worked for me even though it really, REALLY shouldn't have. Your quilt is gorgeous and I totally have to get Feminist Baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it. I'm irritated. You are right though, it kind of worked. The being ticked off meant that I had no tears in me.
      Thanks about the quilt.

      Delete