#IMWAYR April 23, 2018

#IMWAYR time again, when readers share what they have been reading and find out what others have been up to in the past week. Kathryn hosts the adult version of this meme at Book Date. Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers host the kidlit rendition. Whatever you are looking forward to in your next great read, these are fabulous places to start your search.


I am still hanging in there with the April Poem A Day Challenge and consequently, not getting very much reading accomplished except for when I read with my granddaughter.

Poem A Day Challenge 2018

16. Greg
17. Gift
18. Ceremony
19. Waiting
20. Storm
21. Ada

22. Haiku

BOARD BOOKS

These days Ada and I have been 'reading' a few Korean books that were sent here by her Korean relatives. Goodreads wouldn't recognize any of the barcodes with the isbn numbers.

They are all interactive. The first two animal books have touch and feel components as well as buttons on the side that make the sounds of the different animals. Ada loves these but although she puts her finger on these buttons, hasn't figured out how to press hard enough to get them to work. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not... 








The third book is all about brushing teeth. You have to turn this one on, and then when you brush the teeth of all the animals, the toothbrush makes noises. Actually, the toothbrush makes noises wherever and whenever you brush with it. The buttons at the top sing songs or talk. The two on the left are in Korean and the one on the right sings a song in English. 





What I enjoy about these books is that her Mom can read the Korean text with Ada, while I treat them like wordless books and just talk about the pictures and illustrations. 

NONFICTION PICTURE BOOKS

4 stars
She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History by Chelsea Clinton, Alexandra Boiger (Illustrator)

I enjoyed this. I appreciated how Chelsea Clinton was able to highlight important details in the different women's lives in such a minimal about of text. Alexandra Boiger's watercolour illustrations fill in many spaces.
I wish there had been additional information in the back matter, but the book will be an ideal jumping off place before researching any one of these amazing women.

ADULT FICTION AND NON FICTION

4 stars
The Grave's a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley & Jayne Entwhistle (Narrator)

I enjoyed this of course because I adore all the Flavia books. This time I was more aware of the beauty of the writing and wondered if it is because I am trying to write a poem a day.
After a gruesome beginning where Flavia ends up snagging the mouth of a murder victim while boating on a river, it was slower paced and more thoughtful. I like that Flavia is growing up and her relationships with her sisters are less antagonistic.

4 stars
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This was ok. Everything in it is also in one of her Ted Talks. It's a good starting place to read about feminism. We read this for our book club



CURRENTLY

I'm in the middle of Scythe by Neal Shusterman. If you have read it, then you will understand when I say that I have just started the second part of the book and am trying to deal with what has happened. I've just started listening to The Westing Game, a book that has been on my want to read list for two years now. 

UP NEXT

I'll listen to whatever comes available next and pick something I really want to read from the pile of books that I fear I am going to have to return to the library. 

PROGRESS ON MY READING GOALS

#MustReadIn2018 13/25 1 in progress
#MustReadNFIn2018 4/12 
25 Books by Canadian Indigenous Authors 7/25
Goodreads Reading Challenge 139/333

20 comments:

  1. Korean books...wow! How are they? I can read Tagalog but my son doesn't know, would love to teach him my language.

    I love Chelsea Clinton book illustrations. Gorgeous!

    Angelica Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter in law speaks only Korean to Ada so we hope she is a bilingual baby. These kinds of books help a lot!
      I agree. The art in the Clinton books is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I've heard a few people say that Scythe is amazing. I tend to read more middle grade than young adult because I teach in an elementary school, but maybe over the summer I'll pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really my kind of book - it's a bit to intense and violent, although the premise is interesting.

      Delete
  3. How interesting that the Korean books aren't yet added to Goodreads -- you make a good point about "reading" the pictures, though. That's an important first skill for Littles. I added The Westing Game to my TBR list after reading The Parker Inheritance. I feel like I have to read it after hearing it discussed so many times in that mystery. lol And Scythe is definitely on my list. It sounds very engaging. :) Have a great week, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even add them because I can't translate them. I have had The Westing Game on my TBR list for ages, but after reading your remarks about The Parker Inheritance, I pushed it up on my list.

      Delete
  4. Love hearing about the Korean board books & that Ada is getting both languages. I used to teach The Westing Game a long time ago, a wonderful mystery for the readers. I'm starting Scythe this week, and now you've made me want to read fast! Thanks, Cheriee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to read your thoughts on Scythe Linda, because it is not generally my kind of book. So far I am really enjoying The Westing Game.

      Delete
  5. Scythe is on my #MustRead list this year, and I'm putting it off--I just don't read books like that anymore. But I will try to get through it. I am also "hanging in there" with the poetry challenge-- counting the days until April 30! And also not getting that much reading done. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am struggling with it. If I am not compelled to pick it up again soon, I might just abandon it.

      Delete
  6. The board book about brushing teeth looks fun. It looks like we both had international reading this past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! There are so many fabulous books not published in English!

      Delete
  7. Scythe is in my summer pile (I think)!
    I have She Persisted in my pile for this week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking maybe it should be in my summer pile too, but I shall persist. It is good!

      Delete
  8. I am feeling you on SCYTHE. I know exactly where you are, and I feel your pain. But it is SO GOOD! Enjoy!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it and terrified of what is to come all at the same time!

      Delete
  9. The Westing Game is a classic. :) I am holding out until the third book in the Scythe series is out before I tackle the books head-on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am embarrassed to say that I haven't read Scythe yet. My students rave about it, and I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Westing Game is one of my favorite books. As a kid Turtle’s spunk and intelligence inspired me. Skythe is one of my favorite new series and I am sure I know where you are. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Westing Game! I enjoyed Scythe but don't feel the need to rush out to get the next one.

    ReplyDelete