Finding The Worm by Mark Goldblatt

Reading this book has been like connecting up with an old friend. 
5 stars

Unfortunately, things are not going so well for Julian Twerski. He's got an older kid at school who doesn't like him. Someone scratched his initials on a painting and the principal blamed him. Now he has to write a two hundred word essay on good citizenship, even though he's innocent. His friend Beverly wants to race him, even though he will beat her. He's also starting to be confused about his feelings towards her. And oh ya, one of his best friends, Quentin, is really sick with a tumour in his head.

What I liked about this book:
It worked for me right off the bat. I didn't struggle to get into it. Maybe it's because I loved Twerp, and the place and people are the same, but it seemed like everything was familiar to me.
I really admired Rabbi Salzberg. He's a kind, supportive mentor as well as a guidance counsellor and spiritual leader.
Goldblatt's boys are so real and loving and authentic. I remember boys like them growing up in the 60's They are the kind of boys I like to read about. They are the kinds of boys I want as role models for all boys. The friendship between these 34th street pals is so refreshing and sweet. I loved that the game of piggyback tag emerged spontaneously to ensure everyone was included in their fun.
If a book makes me cry I'm happy. I cried. Not in an angst filled way, but in a sluppy kind of way.

What I don't like about this book:

There isn't another one waiting for me to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment