Like Pickle Juice On A Cookie by Julie Sternberg & Matthew Cordell (Illustrator)


I really loved this sweet little chapter book. I loved the characters. I loved that it dealt with a serious issue that many children will be able to connect to. I loved that our narrator, 8 year old Eleanor Abigail Kane (Ellie) is surrounded by loving sensitive adults.

Eleanor's first babysitter, Bibi, has to move away to take care of her sick father. This is a very bad thing to happen. The story takes us through Ellie's grieving for Bibi, and into the realization that there are many ways and people to love.

Matthew Cordell's illustrations bring a whimsical humor into the tale, making it just perfect.

I can't wait to read more in this series.

At a reading level of grade 2.5, this book is ideal for readers just transitioning into chapter books. Because it deals with real issues, if I can find it in paperback, I'll purchase a literature circle set for those younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment