It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

It's #IMWAYRCheck out TeachMentorTexts and Unleashing Readers to find out about more fabulous books!

I thought I would be getting lots of fiction reading done since we are on strike, but that isn't how it is turning out. 

First I had to type up all the summer reading recommendations from my school community and post them. It was a huge job! You can read about it and see the lists here. We ended up with 195 book suggestions. I'll do my best to read as many of them as I can....

While I have managed to get some fiction reading in this past week, I have primarily been reading news articles, political blogs, facebook posts, and twitter feeds. I've been consumed with reading anything to do with the teacher strike I am presently in the middle of here in British Columbia.

I'm impressed with anything Tom Kertes writes. His blog is Reflections on Liberation Learning

I've been inspired by all the positive support I've been reading from the facebook page BC voters supporting BC teachers and public education

I so proud to be part of such an amazing group of determined, dedicated, compassionate and principled professionals. There's nothing like adversity to get creativity exploding, and I am seeing and reading it regularly in the twitter feeds. Most recent are the responses to an ad posted in a recent paper claiming teacher wage demands were out of the affordability zone. (It really isn't about wages anyway) Teachers have reframed it in numerous ways, but my favourite remains the one where a teacher explains how you correctly add percentages. 


As it turns out, it was created by the aunt of one of my colleagues at work.

I admit that after a while I couldn't stomach anymore of that ilk and went back to reading fiction.  

I finished reading Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd. It was as delicious a read as stoneberry ice-cream must be to taste.  Clicking here will take you to my blog post yesterday about it.   


I was 23rds of the way into Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood when my digital copy from the VPL expired. It was one of those ARG! experiences since it will take me months to get it again. A kind soul loaned me a copy so I hope to get that finished this week.  

I started I Have a Bad Feeling About This by Jeff Strand, but since I learned my lesson from losing Oryx and Crake, realized I had other library books due that I better get on to first. 

I started and finished Moon at Nine by Deborah Ellis. My review of it will be posted by tomorrow I hope. 

I've started listening to Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein, the second in the Code Name Verity series. I wasn't sure at first, but have become hooked. I'm listening as I drive around with coffee and doughnuts to the picket sites in the morning. It's a strange thing to be reading about war when you are in the middle of your own battle... 


2 comments:

  1. I am very excited to read Rose Under Fire. I have it on my book shelf - am just reading other titles from the library first. Like you, I have been reading all things #bced Sigh The books are much better! Although, I agree, this math video is pretty great! Happy reading and hang in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the strike and I send you light and well wishes and positive thoughts. I've been reading so much about Rose Under Fire - does sound like a great read. I absolutely enjoyed Snicker of Magic and did a review in our blog quite recently. :)

    ReplyDelete